BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A freind of mine just lowsided his 2005 LT with only 10000 miles on it. Damage is not severe, but it will probably get totaled. What are these things worth in parts? I've though of trying to buy it from the insurance company. Maybe it could be put back on the road, who knows. What parts sell for good $$$'s on ebay? Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
That is a good queston. There are a lot of part from LT's on E-Bay, some of them sell...some not so much. There are a lot of parts on an LT that if something happened & it needed to be replaced, the hole bike is probable totaled. Other parts like Gear Box , ABS , some of the electrics, sell..But what do I know..:wave

·
Registered
338 Posts
You are most certainly welcome to browse Ebay, to get an idea. Some part, like final drive and foot boards sell immediately, others maybe listed over and over again....

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Just look at the completed listings.

I regularly scan the LT parts. I see silly prices and once in a while reasonable prices.

Bob

·
Registered
552 Posts
My guess is it will not be worth the price of buying the bike and then the time to part it out and selling charges.

If you did this on a reg basis then it may be worth it but is it worth the hassle factor?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Tell your buddy I'll give him $300 for it!!!!! One of the posts from a few weeks ago could have bought his wrecked bike back for 10% of the paid value.

It would be EXTREMELY hard not to realize a profit based on the purchase price.

Engine, gear box, final drive, wheels, motronic, ABS, right side rider foot peg, etc. should be worth thousands.

The hard part would be having to break an LT down with no intention of putting it back together.

Loren

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
It depends upon the situation, your friends mechanical skills and wether or not he has the time
and the space to turn the LT into parts.

I did it when I totaled my LT back in 2006,
between shipping and what I had to give the insurance company I had a couple thousand into it.
and still managed to profit approximately double over and above that.

I sold everything through the forum at half of what the Beemer Bone Yard listed the parts for
this helped out a lot of my fellow riders and I still made money.

I've also seen the parts listed on E-bay for ridiculous prices,
if greed is the motivating factor it's going to take a lot longer to sell the parts, if you can sell them at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can go to your local dealer and talk to the techs to see if they are interested in some of the parts, I'm sure they will have good use for them. Not always people can pay full price for new parts all the time. Just a thought. And if there is no frame damage, a bike with only 10 k is very new, might be a good idea to get a rebuilt title on her.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
If I could get it for a good price I'd snatch it up. They don't make LTs any more.......... :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sorry about your friend's problem. The unfortunate truth is that a good bit of the value isn't created in a wreck until it's taken apart, each part cleaned, if necessary, photographed for web posting, and then proper ads placed in a group listing or auction site. Adding a correct OEM part number enhances the process even more.

Industry standard, but by no means absolute, is that a good condition used part sells for about half of a new OEM. Parts among group members or friends do, as they should, sell for a good deal less.

Don't forget that the title tracks with the frame and those items as a pair are often reasonably valuable to someone.

Good luck to him.

JD

·
Registered
285 Posts
That depends,, Whats broke and un-usable? If it's just scuffed up,, sounds like a good rebuilder. What do you want for it?

You know,, that's probly your best bet. Buy and sell it,, and might not even touch it and clear a few hundered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts