BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 LT with 32K miles. I bought it about 18 months ago with 21K miles. I've read posts and heard other LT owners talk of getting 50+ MPG from their bikes. One post I read on this forum some time ago (don't remember who it was) said that he got over 50 MPG overall average on his trip to and back from Alaska, doing over 5,000 (?) miles on that trip. I may have seen 50 on my bike once or twice for a short distance, doing 50 MPH or less on back country roads. If I keep it at around 60 MPH I can get 40-42 MPG. Once I get up to 70 MPH and greater at constant interstate speeds I hit the mid 30s. At 80 MPH its down to the low 30s. Should I expect any better or are these guys that get 50+ doing something special or exaggerating? The P. O. Of this bike did the "brown wire cut" and also installed a Power FRK device. I have the original box and brochure for the FRK device and all it says is that it "Increases performance of your motorbike" (Motorbike? Must be some Britiish made device). Are any of you familiar with the Power FRK? Would reconnecting the brown wire or removing the FRK make a difference in my MPG?
I'm planning to do an IBR Saddlesore 1000 in October and want to be able to get the best fuel mileage possible. Also, who are the experts on this forum to advise me on how to prepare for and execute a Saddlesore 1000?

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
I get 37mpg on city/HW avg. get close to 50mpg only when doing long HW trips with almost no city traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
I have a 2002 LT with 32K miles. I bought it about 18 months ago with 21K miles. I've read posts and heard other LT owners talk of getting 50+ MPG from their bikes. One post I read on this forum some time ago (don't remember who it was) said that he got over 50 MPG overall average on his trip to and back from Alaska, doing over 5,000 (?) miles on that trip. I may have seen 50 on my bike once or twice for a short distance, doing 50 MPH or less on back country roads. If I keep it at around 60 MPH I can get 40-42 MPG. Once I get up to 70 MPH and greater at constant interstate speeds I hit the mid 30s. At 80 MPH its down to the low 30s. Should I expect any better or are these guys that get 50+ doing something special or exaggerating? The P. O. Of this bike did the "brown wire cut" and also installed a Power FRK device. I have the original box and brochure for the FRK device and all it says is that it "Increases performance of your motorbike" (Motorbike? Must be some Britiish made device). Are any of you familiar with the Power FRK? Would reconnecting the brown wire or removing the FRK make a difference in my MPG?
I'm planning to do an IBR Saddlesore 1000 in October and want to be able to get the best fuel mileage possible. Also, who are the experts on this forum to advise me on how to prepare for and execute a Saddlesore 1000?
I can't speak for the Alaska rider, but my 2007 has averaged 47 MPG over the nearly 55,000 miles I have ridden it since buying it new. Yes, I have the spreadsheet showing every tank full to prove it!

If I ride a steady 55 on level roads, I can get 49-50 all day long. Slow to 45 and I can get 55 MPG.

I don't ride extended durations at high speeds as I hate interstates. However, the few times I have ridden at 70 MPG, I run 42-44. I have never ridden at or above 80 long enough to get a good read on consumption. And I don't recall ever having a tank, not counting the aberrations after service work on the fuel system, that yielded in the 30s. I will check my spreadsheet when I get a chance and see what my lowest ever "normal" tank returned.

I also avoid cities like the plague they are so I don't have much city gas consumption data to offer.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yeah... That 37 must be for my bad habit of wringing my LT past the ton every time I can... :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pkpr1998

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I average right around 44 mpg.

Just sold my "02 so looking for an LT now!

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
The Power FRK hooks into the intake air sensor and adjusts what temp the motronic thinks the air is. It is likely making your mixture richer and causing you to use more fuel. If the rest of the bike is stock, no after market exhaust or cat removed stuff, I would pull it off and do some test runs to see if your mileage goes up. Without knowing how severe the change is the FRK makes to the air temp, there is no way of telling what if any improvement you will see. There are other issues this might also correct but if you have the brown wire already cut, then messing with the AIT sensor is not normally recommended.

My .02 after a quick read on the $300 resistor.

I get normally better than 40-45 MPG steady HWY 1UP depending on riding conditions and the position of the wind screen.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've stated this in previous post but worth repeating. I bought a 2006 lt with 60k miles on it. Had a Ceebaylee tall/wide windshield on it. From the start i was averaging 40/41 local mpg (i.e. in town never faster than 60), and mid to hi 30's highway speed (70 and above). Did my first oil/tranny/gearbox change, and replaced the windshield with a Ceebaylee 22" reverse curve. From the very first tankful after the change and service, my mpg went up to the high 40s (average 47) in town, to 45/46 at highway speeds (verified on my 4000 mile trip to KY and MA. I can get up to 51mpg if i keep it below 60. I don't know if the windshield made that much of a difference, or if the servicing did. I've got 20k since the change, and the mpg has been constant. The windshield is quite a bit lighter, and i've heard others who say it has made a difference on theirs also.
The mpg by the way is verified on pen and paper, and not just the onboard computer (which is very accurate by the way) I'm also heavy. 6'2" 245. and all the miles are solo.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I average right around 44 mpg.

Just sold my "02 so looking for an LT now!
If you're looking for a nice one, in excellent condition, tastefully farkeled, and used as the '15 CCR maintenance demonstration bike (John Z worked on it), my '07 is for sale.... Has Spieglers, Yacugar shocks, PIAAs, Russell Day Long saddle, V-Stream windshield, Garmin 590LM with tire pressure sensors, Fix-It-Before-It-Breaks top case latch kit, Jiffy Tite QDs, new internal fuel lines in tank, full set of Kathy's Journey luggage (panniers, top case, top case rack), etc.

Getting back to topic, mileage on my '07 has ranged from a low of 37 mpg (above 70 mph) to a high of around 54-55 mpg (putting through Yellowstone at 35 mph). Normally, I get around 42-44 mpg.

:bmw:

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just competed a 3200 mile trip to Ontario, Minnesota, back to Alberta and averaged just over 52 MPG. This includes both highway and short stints in cities and towns along the way.

A couple of years ago, I was averaging closer to 30-35 MPG. On advice from this forum, I changed my O2 Sensor. It made all the difference in the world. A clue if this is your problem might be the presence of black smoke from your exhaust at shift changes. Get someone to follow you around (preferably on a bike) for a short drive in the city to see if they notice any.

Also, check out a thread here called "Bad O² sensor?". Also, research "TPS Reset". Good Luck.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
Mileage is very subjective as it relates to driving style, speed, winds and altitude. Typically for the same given conditions a pre 05 bike will get 3-8 MPG better than a post 05. I have seen consistent 50's in the higher altitudes (CO) and as low as 28 in Texas trying to maintain 75 MPH in a head wind pulling a Bushtec trailer. Over all I can usually claim around 42 on my 05.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you may be on to something with the windshield. Mine had a CeeBaily also when I first bought it. Now that I think about it, that's probably when I saw my best MPG. About 2 weeks after I had it I had a garage tip-over and broke the CeeBaily. I replaced it with a much larger V-Stream. 24.7" tall and 27" (?) wide. Haven't seen as good MPG since.

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
Mileage is very subjective as it relates to driving style, speed, winds and altitude. Typically for the same given conditions a pre 05 bike will get 3-8 MPG better than a post 05. I have seen consistent 50's in the higher altitudes (CO) and as low as 28 in Texas trying to maintain 75 MPH in a head wind pulling a Bushtec trailer. Over all I can usually claim around 42 on my 05.
I am surprised there would be even 3 MPG difference under the same conditions. I don't think the later models were that much heavier or more draggy aerodynamically. I wonder why this would be...

Just for grins, I looked up what BMW lists for mileage and they give (I think this was for the 2009 model):

54 MPG @ 90 kph/56 mph
41 MPG @ 120 kph/75 mph

This is slightly more than what I see, but these are likely a solo rider on an unladen bike and only include steady state consumption, without acceleration, etc., while I am usually two-up and loaded near gross. So, I would say if you are much less than these values, you likely have something wrong with your bike.

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
I think you may be on to something with the windshield. Mine had a CeeBaily also when I first bought it. Now that I think about it, that's probably when I saw my best MPG. About 2 weeks after I had it I had a garage tip-over and broke the CeeBaily. I replaced it with a much larger V-Stream. 24.7" tall and 27" (?) wide. Haven't seen as good MPG since.
Aerodynamic drag is very significant at speeds above 40 or so and increases exponentially with speed. So a larger and more draggy windshield would have a big effect at highway speeds. Look at your owner's manual. I am pretty sure mine gives the coefficient of drag with the shield up vs. down and the difference is significant. Same would apply to a shield of different size, shape, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I met Carl Reese, the Guinness world record holder for LA to NYC (38 hours 49 minutes one-way) at my dealer (West Valley Cycle Sales in Winnetka, CA) a couple of months back. He told me he replaced his stock K1600GT windshield with a larger one before his record attempt and his mileage dropped from 38 to 28 mpg. Several magazines have carried his story, including BMW ON, in the July '16 issue (pages 64-67). Before that, I had never really considered the impact a larger windshield would have on fuel economy. :bmw:

·
Registered
733 Posts
I live in a very windy place and have been doing mostly city driving of late and get around 40mpg. I track each gas tank but am not looking it up just now. I have tried some things with 87 Octane pure gas, high octane, varied riding styles with regards to starts and RPMs when shifting. I just took the top case off and may see what impact that has over the next few tanks of gas.

To the OP: What are looking for? You just want better mpg or do you want to go speeds high enough to do the Iron Butt easily or something else?

For me, i compared riding harder (a little more fun for me) or like a granny to get better gas mileage to save some money. On my '02, the difference was about 1-2 miles mpg. I decided to just ride it like I have warm donuts on the bike and want to get them home fast enough to enjoy them while they are hot.

My best gas mileage was on the Freeway at constant speed.

Oh, You guys are mentioning mpg with speed. What gear are you in and/or what RPMs are you running for better gas mileage? There is a difference when riding around at 45mph in 1st or 2nd or 3rd gear (or dare I say 4th gear, which I haven't tried).

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
I live in a very windy place and have been doing mostly city driving of late and get around 40mpg. I track each gas tank but am not looking it up just now. I have tried some things with 87 Octane pure gas, high octane, varied riding styles with regards to starts and RPMs when shifting. I just took the top case off and may see what impact that has over the next few tanks of gas.

To the OP: What are looking for? You just want better mpg or do you want to go speeds high enough to do the Iron Butt easily or something else?

For me, i compared riding harder (a little more fun for me) or like a granny to get better gas mileage to save some money. On my '02, the difference was about 1-2 miles mpg. I decided to just ride it like I have warm donuts on the bike and want to get them home fast enough to enjoy them while they are hot.

My best gas mileage was on the Freeway at constant speed.

Oh, You guys are mentioning mpg with speed. What gear are you in and/or what RPMs are you running for better gas mileage? There is a difference when riding around at 45mph in 1st or 2nd or 3rd gear (or dare I say 4th gear, which I haven't tried).
It varies some depending on what mood I am in, but I generally try to stay around 3,000 RPM unless I am in crazy traffic and need to accelerate and decelerate rapidly and often. So, I would say I vary from 2,500 to 3,500 most of the time while cruising at steady speed.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
I had the aeroflow shield on my 2000LT. I averaged in the mid 30's.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I mainly just want better mpg so I make fewer gas stops doing the Iron Butt. I don't plan to ride more than 5-7 mph over the speed limit (I'm allergic to flashing red or blue lights). So, if I could get close to 50 mpg or better at 75+ mph I could safely get at least 250 miles or more on a tank. Which brings up another point. If an LT runs out of gas does that cause any problems in the fuel system or can you just fill it up again and go? I plan to carry an extra gallon of emergency fuel with me, but I'd hate to accidentally run it dry and then cause other problems.

( P. S. - love your donut analogy as I too love warm donuts....can you say hot Krispy Kremes?)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mike - I see that you're from Virginia. Is it true that radar detectors are illegal in your beautiful state?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts

Good, John's post saved me from having to type all of that!

When I had my '03 LT those were my average MPG's less the 28 pulling a Bushtec

1 - 20 of 37 Posts