BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a GPS for my K1200lt either low price or remanufactured or used?

And a mounting bracket?

I would like one that has bluetooth, so I can talk to it with a helmet bluetooth.

Thank you.

Dan

Reactions: seahabit

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's hard to beat the mapping programs on smartphones. I have a mount for mine that puts it right between the handlebars. Plus, they have Bluetooth and you can listen to music like Pandora. Regular GPS units are going the way of the DoDo.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I have a garmin. Bought it for about $100. It's 5yrs old and needs replacing. Fortunately for us, they aren't selling em like hotcakes anymore, and are still reasonably priced. A friend recently told me that we can now buy one with unlimited updates. The standard suction cup attachment fits over the BMW emblem on top of radio Tupperware.

I prefer simplicity. Minimal button pushing. I like to know altitudes. I also want to get one that doesn't tell me what time I will arrive. I want to know how many driving hours.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Good and cheap do not necessarily come together but I would recommend the new Garmin zūmo® 396 LMT-S (4.3 screen) from Garmin as it is on sale on their website for $299 - $100 off list price!!! Lifetime subscription to map upgrades - 3 times a year on average.

This is an outstanding GPS - check out all this unit has going for it - click to visit site >> GARMIN 396 Comes with lots of capabilities . . .

Comes with hardware setup for bikes but you may need to surf to get the right stuff depending on where you decide to mount the unit but it does comes with a mount. Also you can move the GPS between vehicles and even cars as well with enough accessory brackets.

This unit does do one thing well that many low cost cheap unit cannot do - it has an enhanced screen and can be read in bright sunlight like the BMW NAV VI unit.

Years ago I was a big Garmin 376 fan - this was a marine unit and has a very bright screen and ran automotive maps. Ever since then most of the Garmin motorcycle units including the BMW NAV series could not be read in bright sunlight well that all changed with the NAV VI and this 396 and the most recent zumo units!!

If you get the unit of course:
- download Basecamp - the routing software
- download Garmin Express - firmware and map upgrades
- and make sure you register the unit with Garmin

These are items that may make buying older used GPS less desirable.

While phones do a decent job in my opinion they do not compare with a good Garmin GPS from rugged design and the many capabilities:

-Rugged, glove-friendly, sunlight-readable 4.3” display; resistant to fuel vapors, UV rays and harsh weather
-Stay connected with hands-free calling, smart notifications and easy GPX file sharing for group rides
-Control music and playlists from your smartphone on the zūmo display
-Access free Live Services for traffic and weather using the Smartphone Link app
-Garmin Adventurous Routing™ finds curvy or hilly roads; limits major highways
-Built-in Wi-Fi® for easy map and software updates without a computer
-Helpful rider alerts for upcoming sharp curves, speed cameras and more — plus Automatic Incident Notifications

Just my 2₵

Good luck in your search / decisions . . .

·
Registered
257 Posts
Good OR cheap I think you mean!

My take on it is to use my iPhone6. Maps always up to date and you get all the other features of the 'phone by Bluetooth. I have mine in a waterproof case magnetically attached to the dash. Perfectly visible, moreso than the stock Garmin mount and easily removeable for security.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Problem with a phone is that you need a telephone signal to map... GPS gets its signal from up above. (I think !)

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Problem with a phone is that you need a telephone signal to map... GPS gets its signal from up above. (I think !)

It's hard to believe but there are areas in and around your 'hoods that don't have cell service....I guess it all depends on type of riding and where you ride as to your need for a cell phone or GPS...out west the problem of lack of cell service is multiplied

About 3 months ago I found a Garmin595LM for sale on Ebay and after some bartering got it for $275....could not be more pleased with the device.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is incorrect information: nearly all smartphones have GPS built in - You do NOT need a connection to use a smartphone as a GPS. I use my old S5 - without a SIM card and it tracks great!

I also use a Garmin and they both do the same things, albeit different software. For routing I like Furkot and Kurviger. Basecamp is really annoying.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
This is incorrect information: nearly all smartphones have GPS built in - You do NOT need a connection to use a smartphone as a GPS. I use my old S5 - without a SIM card and it tracks great!

I also use a Garmin and they both do the same things, albeit different software. For routing I like Furkot and Kurviger. Basecamp is really annoying.
Where do the maps come from on a cell phone with no service? Can you download the maps like on a real GPS? Asking for a friend.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Where do the maps come from on a cell phone with no service? Can you download the maps like on a real GPS? Asking for a friend.
You can have live update or if outside reliable 4G, you can download a map portion, depending on which mapping service you use. The inbuilt GPS will do the rest, just like a Garmin.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I haven't tried this yet, but my intention is to use my S8+ in split screen mode and have FOBO TPMS in one window and Google Maps in the other.

Split screen on the S8+ is adjustable so I can have a smaller window for TPMS and still have, for example, a 5" diagonal window for Google Maps.

It works fine on the phone, just need to see how it does out in the mountains. After I finish up all of this 12K maintenance.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
THANKS FOR THE CORRECTION _ The above is wrong... Most smartphones do have a GPS receiver built in...

"For most people, they only have mapping apps with ‘live maps’ (i.e. the need network connection to download the map of their current location)

That said, you can ‘cache’ the maps of the area you’re going to be in with Google Maps so you have it offline, or simply use Offline map Apps and download the maps (usually OSM maps) I keep these on my phone as I’m often ‘Geocaching’ in areas without cell service, and I’m using my phone to navigate to where I need to go."

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Google maps lets you download maps for a given region for offline use, but as I recall it does not load a database of gas stations, etc. so you don’t have access to that as on a Garmin. I ride in many remote areas and still prefer a Garmin over my iphone for navigation work.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
151 Posts
Download "Here Gps" for either android or Apple. Download the maps when on Wi-fi before you go and it's done. You now have a stand alone GPS. No phone connection required beyond the initial downloading of the app and maps, and the once in a while updates.

Cheers,
Tross

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
The GPS will still show the correct location but the time may be off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I haven't tried this yet, but my intention is to use my S8+ in split screen mode and have FOBO TPMS in one window and Google Maps in the other.

Split screen on the S8+ is adjustable so I can have a smaller window for TPMS and still have, for example, a 5" diagonal window for Google Maps.

It works fine on the phone, just need to see how it does out in the mountains. After I finish up all of this 12K maintenance.

I got this working today and just wanted to share the screen FYI. Also got the Motolights figured out. During the 12K maintenance and upgrades we implemented, I had disconnected the battery. When I reconnected, I connected all blacks to NEG and all reds to POS. The Motolight harness uses a black wire for power. Had to remove one fairing side and trace the harness to figure it out.

Now, the problem is these lights appear to be old and maybe incandescent, very yellow compared to the HID H7 upgrade I did.

Now off to Motolights website to see if I can get bulbs that are close.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had disconnected the battery. When I reconnected, I connected all blacks to NEG and all reds to POS. The Motolight harness uses a black wire for power. Had to remove one fairing side and trace the harness to figure it out.
I had a boat that the previous owner used a red cable for the ground and black cable for the hot. When I hooked the two large deep cycle batteries to it I just about burned the damn thing up. Thankfully the top battery terminal melted off in about 5 seconds. After that, I never trusted the wiring and put fuses everywhere, even on the ground. Lesson learned, if it isn't factory wiring you need to check it out yourself and make sure that it was wired correctly. I always add a separate fuse block for any add-ons to protect the factory wiring.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts