BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have now owned our 2001 LT since November last year and have just returned from a week touring around Cornwall. Mileage is up just over the 3000 and as it was bought at the beginning of the British winter I think that is not bad. I thought I would put down a few words about what I have gained from this site.

1. I don't think I would have bought the bike without all the knowledge I managed to accumulate by reading the forum for a couple of months. I had never ridden one and had never even seen one up close before putting in a bid on eBay.

1a. I was not put off by the FD issues mentioned, I have ridden ancient British iron since 1971 so am used to things not always being as bad as they may appear at first glance.

2. Forewarned is forearmed, I knew the LT suffered from Postural Narcolepsy so was very careful right from the first ride to stop straight and upright and looking forwards. I have not laid her down yet.

3. The Clymer manual is good but it does not give the little wrinkles, the forum tend to flesh out the details.

4. I have managed to do the basics of oil change (Engine, gearbox, final drive), air filter, fuel filter, plugs, pads.

5. Without the forum I would still be suffering with wrist strain from the heavy throttle. I have now upgraded to the post 2005 and it is a lot better.

6. I know not to worry about the puff of blue smoke when the bike has been parked on the side stand.

7. I managed to use the Cruise Control Diagnostic procedure to work out why the cruise control did not always engage. (close cable too tight).

8. I know not to worry about the K Whine at 3400RPM.

9. I have the confidence to ride it at over 5000RPM when circumstances allow.

9b. But I also know I am beginning to suffer from clutch slip as if I wind the throttle fully open when around 5000 (peak torque) in top gear then the revs go up more than the speed. As the speed at this time is more than adequate this is not something I do other than to see what happens. The question here is, how long before the clutch gives up the ghost completely ?

So thanks everyone who posts questions and answers, keep the accumulation of knowledge being spread around.

Tony

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,061 Posts
tombstone said:
9b. But I also know I am beginning to suffer from clutch slip as if I wind the throttle fully open when around 5000 (peak torque) in top gear then the revs go up more than the speed. As the speed at this time is more than adequate this is not something I do other than to see what happens. The question here is, how long before the clutch gives up the ghost completely ?

So thanks everyone who posts questions and answers, keep the accumulation of knowledge being spread around.

Tony
If you don't have any contamination (sounds like you don't) the clutch is near its wear limit and will still work fine for several months. Mine started that 5K stuff in June and I took several more trips that year and never had an issue (other that the 5K check). I ended up pulling it apart during the winter. The disc was close but had not yet reached the wear limit. Also it would only do the slip one time on the 5K check. If I tried right away to do it again it would not slip.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John, that is good to know. I will go through the year and decide what to do next winter.

Regards

Tony

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

From the NOC web site:-

http://www.nortonownersclub.org/models/commando

Mk.lll Electric Start
828cc OHV
1975 - 1978

There were numerous changes in 1975 when the Mk.lll was introduced; a rear disc brake was fitted, and the front disc assembly moved over to the left fork leg. An electric starter was incorporated onto the back of the primary chaincase and the gearchange and rear brake brake pedals swapped sides to conform with U.S.A. import requirements. Vernier adjusters on the Isolastic system were used at last, having been envisaged in the original 1967 design but not put into production. Production terminated in 1977 although a small batch was assembled in 1978.

Nuff said ...

Regards

Tony

·
Premium Member
7,837 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
[url="http://www.classic-british-motorcycles.com/norton-commando.html" said:
http://www.classic-british-motorcycles.com/norton-commando.html[/url]
Thanks for the great link. Way too much to see for one sitting, but plan to go back when I have more time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've gained a bunch of cash by saving money at the dealership... and there's one right around the corner from me that will gladley take my money!!!

1. I fixed the ground wire that was frying on my headlight that I would have never known to look for...
2. I found out how to stop that brake failure light from flashing, 2 reserves in the back.. who'd have thunk it ?
3. I've fixed my trunk latch... did that before it broke. (Does that count?)
4. I found some killer running boards saving my knees by searching the site (thanks Daris)!
5. And I'm sending my seat out to Russel this month... so I guess this site is even saving my a$$...

I've gained a lot and saved a lot.... I've even injured my ribs laughing so hard!
If you could get all these people in one room I think it would take several lifetimes to hear all the stories!!

For all I've gained I'd would like to just give some gratitude...

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.