BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, what happens to the valve clearance with time and wear.
Does the gap increase or decrease with time.
My logic says that the gap should always increase with time, but I'm seeing that people say their gaps are getting too tight with time.
How is that possible?
I thought that when the parts wear out, the gap should always increase. How can it decrease by wearing out?

BJ

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
bjedruszczak said:
Does the gap increase or decrease with time.
My logic says that the gap should always increase with time, but I'm seeing that people say their gaps are getting too tight with time.
How is that possible?
I thought that when the parts wear out, the gap should always increase. How can it decrease by wearing out?

BJ
BJ, a coupla paragraphs into this site will explain about valve clearances and checks and adjustments, and the why. HTH.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
bjedruszczak said:

What happens with the Valve Clearances with time??? On a BMW, not much. :bmw: Seriously, the wear and change on my BMW engines has been wonderful compared to other makes. We'll see how the 'Wing does soon...

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
What happens with the Valve Clearances with time??? On a BMW, not much. :bmw: Seriously, the wear and change on my BMW engines has been wonderful compared to other makes. We'll see how the 'Wing does soon...
Doesn't the wing have hydraulic lifters? I thought I read some where that the 1800's went to hydraulic lifters, and cam chains Vs belts on the 1500's.

Roy

·
Registered
100 Posts
bigbear said:
Doesn't the wing have hydraulic lifters? I thought I read some where that the 1800's went to hydraulic lifters, and cam chains Vs belts on the 1500's.

Roy
The 1800s have chains and shim under bucket valves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts