·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forum wisdom says......?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
That is such a subjective question Larry as everyone rides differently and on different roads. You have a larger selection on the 00 than the 05 up as you can run radials. Some won't like to split biased in the rear and radial front but I do with no issues what so ever. I have run a Me880, Avon AM26 and Bridgestone BT023 on the front. The 880 came on the bike and I wore them out. didn't have any issue with them. Switched to the Avon AM26 which is sitting unmounted in my garage with less than 1000 miles on it. Couldn't get that off the bike fast enough. It was squirly over tar snakes even when dry. Wet was like riding on pencils. The BT023 IMO is by far the best tire I have had on the front for feel and handling with the BT020 on the rear. I intend to keep running that tire as long as it is available regardless of mileage which I don't have as I haven't worn one out yet and am really not tracking. If it is a good tire for the bike ( for me) I don't care if it gets 6k or 12 K miles. I will replace it when it is needed.

My 2c

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
Forum wisdom says......?
Oxymoron

I still like the ME 880 and just put a new one on - my 9th one in fact. May try the PR4GT next time as I like it on my K1300GT.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
"May try the PR4GT next time"
Old news, the PR5 is new version, maybe it won't cup as soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The softer carcass tires feel better but the LT doesn't really provide any "feedback". Bridgestone T31 has been my favorite. It has better bump absorption and wet performance than the typical Metzler 880 or Bridgestone BT-020.

Between the brakes and front suspension configuration, the LT prevents any real communication from the front end compared to regular forked bikes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I suspected...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Metzler 880 or Bridgestone BT-020 Are the go to...880 give more miles, but 020 are better handling.

I ran radials at first, but burned up on Deal’s Gap. Bridgestone said not to use radials! (2003).

I ran Avon front for a while. Great in mountains as it likes to turn. Not great in town as it wants to turn.

I now just run the 020...Nice tire!

Be positive on a good ballance for a better ride. I use Mark Parns balancer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts