BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using bmw oil and filter in my 2011 rt and I was wondering what other oil I could use

It's just a convenience thing the dealer is about 40 miles away
In the owners manual says I can use Castrol 10w-40 api sg/jasco Ma
When I look at oil labels I don't see those specs (the sg ) Is there a new standard

Anyway bottom line is, what oil could I use? ( I'm not trying to save money )

·
Registered
176 Posts
:corn:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Twin - a straightforward question. You will get 50 replies and 75 firmly held recommendations. This forum LOVES oil threads.

My $0.02 worth: in descending order, here's what you need to know about oil:

1. Enough oil of any kind beats insufficient oil of any kind.
2. Clean oil of any kind beats dirty oil of any kind.
3. Oil that meets manufacturer's spec beats oil that doesn't meet manufacturer's spec.

After that, cheers, :toast: it's up to you. Brand, dino vs. synthetic, there is no right answer.

JayJay

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
The only oils that I have seen that are JASO MA are motorcycle oils and Rotella. May be someone else could shed some light. Use a motorcycle oil of the right weight for the temperature range you ride in and don't worry about it. I use Castrol 4T 20w-50. I may go to a synthetic as I moved to AZ and the bike has over 12K miles on it now.

·
Registered
296 Posts
jkriner said:
Yep, another oil thread.....

However, recent readings and research indicate the most favored lubricants by our BMW BOXER (NOT K-bike) high performance brethren across the pond is MOTUL !!!

type 300v 15w50 for the motor
type 300LS 75w90 for the tranny and FD

seems to result in smoother shifting, etc, etc....

I'm going to give it a try next time - Available at Motorcycle Superstore online for $15.99 / liter for the 300V. You may be able to call to get the 300LS, but all they have on the website is plain 300 gear oil (it's not the same). EDO performance has the 300LS gear oil for $23.56 / liter: EDOperformance

And it should get interesting from here... :corn:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
twincruise said:
I have been using bmw oil and filter in my 2011 rt and I was wondering what other oil I could use

It's just a convenience thing the dealer is about 40 miles away
In the owners manual says I can use Castrol 10w-40 api sg/jasco Ma
When I look at oil labels I don't see those specs (the sg ) Is there a new standard

Anyway bottom line is, what oil could I use? ( I'm not trying to save money )
Castrol 20w/50 Do not use synthetic until the engine is broken in. I am told that on the Boxer engines they take a long time to fully breakin. I am a fan of synthetic oil but will not use it on my RT until 10,000 to 15,000 miles. Automotive grade is good. RT has a dry clutch.
You do not need to use expensive motorcycle oil.
I would recommend a Mann oil filter. Good quality German filter. MW75 should be the correct part number.
http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/

·
Cat Herder
1,585 Posts
OMG... I can't believe you started an OIL thread...

Go to WalMart and buy the Mobile 1 20/50 Twin Motorcycle oil. $9.95 per quart.
(buy four of them and its not in the same section as all the other oils)

It is much easier to find Walmarts all around the country than BMW shops.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me refine my question, I plan on using dino for awhile I have 12000 on the bike

Will any motorcycle specific oil be safe to use?
Do all dino motorcycle oils meet same standards?
Thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe I'm not explaining this ...the manual contains specs that I've never seen on any oil that I have looked at.....so I'm asking a simple que "is any motorcycle oil safe to use does the bmw oil have an ingredient that some motorcycle oils don't have?

If stevaikens doesn't have ans then don't respond. I don't need sarcasm just info

·
Registered
31 Posts
When is someone going to ask " Should I be using air or nitrogen in my tires?" :)
Try using the search function. This topic has been discussed to death.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
twincruise said:
Maybe I'm not explaining this ...the manual contains specs that I've never seen on any oil that I have looked at.....so I'm asking a simple que "is any motorcycle oil safe to use does the bmw oil have an ingredient that some motorcycle oils don't have?

If stevaikens doesn't have ans then don't respond. I don't need sarcasm just info
If you can't find the info on the container, try going to the manufacturers websites and look up the specs. That said, specs are on the container the oil is in. Car oil is up to SN I think, where as the RT, at least a 2009, requires SG. Your owner's manual should say what the minimum spec is and the manufacturers sites should give you the information you need.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
For what it is worth...

Oil brands that are labeled Motorcycle Oil are formulated for use in HARLEYS... which have a wet clutch... and use oil in the transmission/clutch.

Our bikes have a dry clutch therefore there is no advantage to having any oil other than a good motor oil--- no clutch involved.

The only advantage to using BMW specific and branded oil accrues to the dealer who will make a nice profit.

If you want dino oil... go Wal-Mart or Autozone and get a good conventional automotive motor oil and enjoy it. No problem. Economical and frankly... agood decision.

Be sure it meets the specified API listed and all is well. (the guy at the auto parts store will help you if you cannot find what you want... but it ought to be pretty straight-forward.)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
twincruise said:
Let me refine my question, I plan on using dino for awhile I have 12000 on the bike

Will any motorcycle specific oil be safe to use?
Do all dino motorcycle oils meet same standards?
Thanks
Any automotive oil is good. Just pick the viscosity you prefer. I prefer castrol 20w/50 automotive oil and my dealer agrees. Do not use synthetic until the bike is fully broken in.
That is it. Very simple.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
hopz said:
For what it is worth...
If you want dino oil... go Wal-Mart or Autozone and get a good conventional automotive motor oil and enjoy it. No problem. Economical and frankly... agood decision.

Be sure it meets the specified API listed and all is well. (the guy at the auto parts store will help you if you cannot find what you want... but it ought to be pretty straight-forward.)
I hate to be contrary but, there is no "automotive" oil that I know of that meets the SJ spec they are all past that and have reduced high pressure addidtives to match todays catalytic converter requirements. Diesel engine oils meet the motorcycle requirements, Any 15W40 oil is a diesel oil. Motorcycle specific oils, and they will say on the front that they are, have the high pressure additives at levels that protect your cam followers. Of course you will find stories about using auto oils and no issues. I don't think synthetics are worth the money unless you go the long change interval and worry about heat. The reason the OP could not find an oil in spec (SJ) is that he probably was looking at automotive oils. If you want to keep to a budget, go to Walmart and get Shell Rotella T, (even Chevron Dello 400) 15W40 and you will save a bundle. Or buy a motorcycle oil on line or at your local multi motorcycle dealer.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well, WTF, Hopz bit, so I'll jump in again.

The American Petroleum Institute, who is the one that defines the API grades, implies that as later specifications are introduced (e.g, Grade SN is a later grade than SJ) then they are backwards compatible. Twin, the reason you can't find SG oil is that it's an obsolete grade.

JayJay

Attachments

1 - 20 of 58 Posts