BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the engine is out to fix the sprag clutch. We are going to do the following:
1. Fix sprag clutch.
2. Replace bushes on the starter motor.
3. Replace the clutch - all 4 pieces (NZ$1350 in parts!). The clutch is OK, but the mechanic reckons it'll need replacing in the next year or two, so have decided to replace. I could get away with just the clutch plate (saving $900) but the main housing (a thick flat plate) has these faint fractures on it and the tech said he has seen this cause problems (shuddering) in the past in K bikes.
4. All the seals in the associated areas.
5. Drill the weephole.
6. The timing chain cover is black with oil, so they are going to take it off tomorrow, check thats its OK and put new gaskets on (I suppose).
7. Check the valves.

...what else to do while there? Should the timing chain be replaced anyway? Anything obvious or from experience we are missing?

Its a US Y2000 model with 130k on it.

TIA guys.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I would certainly replace the Clutch Slave Cylinder if the current one has near or over 40k miles on it.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
rmg08057 said:
---------------------------------------------------
6. The timing chain cover is black with oil, so they are going to take it off tomorrow, check thats its OK and put new gaskets on (I suppose).
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Its a US Y2000 model with 130k on it.

TIA guys.
There is no gasket used for the timing chain cover, it is sealed with sealant only. I used Permatex Ultra Black on mine.

At 130,000 miles I would expect the inner slip ring on the alternator to be pretty badly worn. For some reason, the inner one wears far faster than the outer one (if I remember correctly). The slip ring assembly can be replaced by any good alternator repair shop. It is the Bosch "for internal fan" one. It is the # W160-02 here:
http://www.wagneralt.com/catalog/books/cat 16 alt SLIP RINGS 2006.pdf

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jack...given I am reaching the limits of my budget, can you tell if the current one is OK or do they just tend to "go"? Also, I assume if it does go, the clutch has to come out again and thats a big job.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
David...is the alternator something that is easy to get at if it does fail? I don't know where it is exactly on the bike.

Also, any comments on the timing chain itself? Is it easy to tell if it needs to be replaced and again, if not done now, is it easy enough to replace in a separate repair later?

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Ralph - Just have them lift it up a little higher and drive a 1300GT underneath. That'll correct most of those issues. :D

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...and sitting at the dealer is a brand new 1300 the exact match of yours...oh, it glows in the dark its so beautiful.

Get well my friend...I know what broken ribs feel like.

With my bike up on the lift, I can't make it this weekend, sorry to miss the fun.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
rmg08057 said:
David...is the alternator something that is easy to get at if it does fail? I don't know where it is exactly on the bike.
Not all that easy, the rear of the engine has to be dropped down a little to get to it. It is on the upper right rear of the engine.
Also, any comments on the timing chain itself? Is it easy to tell if it needs to be replaced and again, if not done now, is it easy enough to replace in a separate repair later?
[/quote] Timing chains on the brick engine rarely need replacing. The plastic guides eventually wear and need to be replaced, so at 130,000 miles it would not be a bad idea to replace them while you have it out. They are not all that expensive. These can be replaced later with the engine in the bike, by removing the timing chain and valve covers, but for the relatively low cost I would do it while the engine is out, easier to work on that way.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
rmg08057 said:
...and sitting at the dealer is a brand new 1300 the exact match of yours...oh, it glows in the dark its so beautiful.

Get well my friend...I know what broken ribs feel like.

With my bike up on the lift, I can't make it this weekend, sorry to miss the fun.
See we could be twins! :) And thanks for the well wishes, I can verify my current situation is sucking.

We'll miss you in Cambria; I'll have a cold one for you.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
David

Can you resend the link....I can get onto the site and find the part, but you seem to have found a pdf associated with it....would appreciate the full link.

TIA.....I seem to building a large inventory of parts down here in NZ!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts