BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to take the radio out to have it repaired. Any suggestions on anything else I should inspect or repair while I have the Tupperware off?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
We will all love to help. Question first. Year and how many miles? There is alot to check while you're in there. Are you taking the tank off or just tupperware? Couple more steps and you can do a real nice check up.
Let us know. There is ALOT of good help here.

Zeke

·
Registered
795 Posts
What year is your bike? depending on that you might want to consider replacing your throttle cables with the upgraded version - I haven't done it yet but others who have say it makes a huge difference.

Pull your tank, replace the fuel and air filters, replace the plastic quick disconnects with metal ones like the ones from beemer boneyard and inspect your in tank fuel lines and replace as necessary. Clean and lubricate your shift linkage, bleed your brake lines and your clutch. Additionally I would suggest that you upgrade your brake lines to Spieglers, especially if your bike is more than a few years old.

Basically the idea in my mind is while your in there do everything you can so that you don't have to go back in for a while and you can ride instead. I am guessing you will have a couple weeks of down time while waiting for the radio to get fixed so take these little projects a nibble at a time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry about leaving out the pertinent information. It is a 2005 with about 12000 miles. I have had no problems with it except for the radio. I just want to do everything that needs to be done so I don't have to take it apart again for a while. If I should go ahead and tank the tank out, I will. Down time is not an issue, because a have a few lesser bikes that I can ride while it is down. Thanks in advance for the information.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I forgot to mention the coolant, change that while you have it down. That way everything is fresh and ready to ride for a good while.

I think your '05 has the upgraded throttle cables (someone else will need to confirm that) so that may not be on your list.

Make sure to search this site for all these things as there is an abundance of experience (both good and bad) on each one of these subjects (not to mention about 3 opinions for every 2 members :rotf: ) All of these are pretty straight forward but any of them can cause you trouble if you aren't following the proper procedure.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
The 05 does have the updated throttle cables.
I think you are OK with the stock brake lines for another few years but you need to change the fluid in the brake and clutch circuits. John Zeiler sells the instructions on a DVD that will make that job a lot easier.
Otherwise an 05 with just 12k miles is just a baby.;)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Consider the QDs from RacerPartsWholesale.com. Nothing against the Boneyard, they are great folks, just like the RPW QDs better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JamesNC1 said:
My 05 radio amp is also going out, is out. What are you doing to fix?
I am sending it to Baris in London. I think that is my best bet, plus he will do some upgrades. I am gong to have him put an input jack on it and make it bluetooth compatible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help. By the way, getting the radio out was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I followed the "Tupperware party" instructions and had the radio out in about 45 minutes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts