BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I recently purchased my first BMW & touring bike, though I have been riding..40+ years now..wow..are you old when you can say something like that??

I picked up a 2002 LT with 20k poorly ridden miles on it. How do you wear out a clutch in 20k miles? Seriously..

Anyway; we are doing a complete off the frame cleaning, replacing, updating, repairing of the bike.

While it is in pieces and parts; what should I add-in or possibly look at replacing before we button everything back up?

My list of "done" or "already doing" is:

Maintenance Items
Full tune up.
Every fluid changed.
Every filter replaced.
All hoses replaced.
Clutch & brake cables replaced.
New brakes front & rear.
New clutch plates & seals.
New seals on the drive train.
Replacing all the stripped or missing bolts and fittings.
Replacing all instrumentation lighting w/ LED bulbs.

Adds are:
KonTour seat (thank you Ron!)
Under mirror mounted Krista lights switched with headlight
Under wing mounted lights Glenda switched with headlight or Hella
Power drop to glove box (pulled the cd)
Power drops to the three bags
BMR shelf and power for GPS & Spot
HID H3 & H7 headlight

We don't want to have to pull this thing apart again anytime soon. What other items do I need to be thinking about while this bastard is in parts?

Thank you for the input, advice and experience.

Roger

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Drill weep hole in bellhousing and in the slave cylinder mounting. Replace throttle cables with updated cables. Replace hoses on fuel filter. Can't think of anything else right off........... :D

·
Registered
470 Posts
TexasRider said:
Hello all.

I recently purchased my first BMW & touring bike, though I have been riding..40+ years now..wow..are you old when you can say something like that??

I picked up a 2002 LT with 20k poorly ridden miles on it. How do you wear out a clutch in 20k miles? Seriously..

Anyway; we are doing a complete off the frame cleaning, replacing, updating, repairing of the bike.

While it is in pieces and parts; what should I add-in or possibly look at replacing before we button everything back up?

My list of "done" or "already doing" is:

Maintenance Items
Full tune up.
Every fluid changed.
Every filter replaced.
All hoses replaced.
Clutch & brake cables replaced.
New brakes front & rear.
New clutch plates & seals.
New seals on the drive train.
Replacing all the stripped or missing bolts and fittings.
Replacing all instrumentation lighting w/ LED bulbs.

Adds are:
KonTour seat (thank you Ron!)
Under mirror mounted Krista lights switched with headlight
Under wing mounted lights Glenda switched with headlight or Hella
Power drop to glove box (pulled the cd)
Power drops to the three bags
BMR shelf and power for GPS & Spot
HID H3 & H7 headlight

We don't want to have to pull this thing apart again anytime soon. What other items do I need to be thinking about while this bastard is in parts?

Thank you for the input, advice and experience.

Roger
No clutch or brake cables. Replace brake hoses with stainless steel braided.

Complete brake/clutch bleed.

Change crankcase breather/hose assembly.

Change both fuel hoses that cross over the top of engine.

Rear engine seal.

Trans input seal.

Clutch pushrod seal.

Trans output seal.

Replace Loose Nut behind the handle bars...

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
While it is possible to take oyt the clutch in 20K miles if one does not get used to how different getting her going in first is, it might be that she wasn't poorly ridded. BMW used poorly designed oil seals, and poorly designed clutch slave cylinders.

Fortunately the founders of this site created a friendly community that has a wealth of experience covering just about anything one will ever need to do to an LT.

Bob

PS: Please don't ask "What oil or tire is best". :))

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You mentioned H3 and H7 bulbs. Consider HID. Lots of info here on the forum to help you out. Have you considered looking into the final drive just to see how she's doing? When I did, I found the aluminum piece holding the bearings (can't recall what it's proper term is) to be cracked in 4 or 5 places. Also found the drive to be over shimmed, which would have caused it to fail.
Finally, I'm a huge fan of taking care of the shift linkage. Maybe you could replace with the beefier aftermarket types.

Edit. Depending on how you plan to ride, consider Ohlins or Wilbers.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I've seen mixed reviews on using LEDS in place of bulbs in the instrument panel. If they are too bright, it is a PITA to go back and install bulbs again.

With fuel injection and a computer keeping everything running under a wide range of conditions, there isn't any provision for a tune up.

Plugs, yup; check 'tapet" clearance and replace-move around buckets, yup.

You can see if they throttle cables on your LT are the latest generation.

Most mount the additional fuse block under the passenger seat.

There is a "kit" one can install in the radio before the amplifier(s) die---a common problem with this particular radio. The kit is actually a fully assembled amplifier board one solders into, onto the PCB.

I looked at replacing the fuel lines from the fuel rail to the tank and couldn't find mention of anyone having to do that. i inspected mine, found one small area with a rub mark, and just padded that are.

I don't remember when BMW installed quick disconnects? My 00 didn't have them. Some years BMW used plastic ones that many people replaced with meatl ones.

Another common item to replace are the shocks. Or, replace the springs.

you can add tapping the threads on the frame for the tupperware. Sometimes they need a gentile touch up when it's difficult to get the bolt aligned correctly. i have extra gold colored fastners that are the equavelent of a nut, used on the tipper ware.

It will save you a lot of headaches if you remove a little of the meatal oh the J-hooks in the trunk's latching. Just make the inside of the J a little deeper. this prevents the trunk handle breakage. If I fremember correctly removing one of the J-hooks accomplishes the same thing.

Best from tucson
Bob

·
Registered
130 Posts
Replace the rubber brake lines with stainless steel. Looks like you've done about everything else. I hope you enjoy your LT as much as I enjoy mine :)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
You want to replace the throttle cables with the latest that are easier on the wrist.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Replace stock windscreen. I like Cee Bailey's #2 -2.

SpeedBleeders on brakes and clutch bleed.

Make sure you use the proper brand, weight, and rating of oil, as well as the correct make/model of tire fore and aft. If want to get a little input, be sure to ask which is best...

:corn:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the input. It is much appreciated.

Any suggestions for what types of fluids, oil, grease, anti-freeze etcetera I need to replace mine with?

What about tires? I cannot find any information on tires anywhere.

You would think on a site like this, someone would have posted advice on these things!

Rubber tires? Crisco? Olive oil? vodka or scotch?? Someone HELP!!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
TexasRider said:
Thank you all for the input. It is much appreciated.

Any suggestions for what types of fluids, oil, grease, anti-freeze etcetera I need to replace mine with?

What about tires? I cannot find any information on tires anywhere.

You would think on a site like this, someone would have posted advice on these things!

Rubber tires? Crisco? Olive oil? vodka or scotch?? Someone HELP!!
You definitely got the intent behind my post! Goodonya.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
deputy5211 said:
You definitely got the intent behind my post! Goodonya.
Tony, when are we going to meet? You are a dog and it would be fun to howl together.

Robert

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
Tony, when are we going to meet? You are a dog and it would be fun to howl together.

Robert
WOOF!

Dunno, but we should do it soon.

Give me a call or drop me an email and we can hash it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts