BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the repair manual in .pdf format, tools to perform the task(s), and time to do the job at least 3 times. 30K miles, just changed oil, FD, and trans. fluids.

The headlight burned out Tuesday so the side and top fairings have to come off anyway. I'm thinking I should replace the fuel quick disconnects and I'd like to install the K&N air filter.

Anything else I can/should/could do while these fairings are off?
Thanks for your input!
Curt

·
Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Install an HID low beam if you don't already have one, and high beam if you'd like. Change coolant. Install Blue Sea fuse box to power all the farkles you will soon discover you can't live without...:D

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
370 Posts
c00k1e said:
Spark plugs
check the brake pads
if you really want to go mad, you could correct the speedo

Correct the speedo ? First time I heard that one mentioned. So now you need to elaborate for the rest of us.

Instructor c00k1e, Class is now in session:

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
KIC said:
Correct the speedo ? First time I heard that one mentioned. So now you need to elaborate for the rest of us.

Instructor c00k1e, Class is now in session:
It's all right here in this post~CLICK HERE
Have a blast! :D

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Ya beat me to it.#
Reason (if you didn;t know) is that the speedo reports you going far faster than you actually are
In Germany I was suposidly going 110mph, GPS said 99mph

Another maintenance idea - grease up the gear shift linkage - Take a look in the Files, Technical section for "Shift Linkage Tidbits" for more info.

·
Registered
698 Posts
wacolt said:
The headlight burned out Tuesday so the side and top fairings have to come off anyway.
Now that you have all these ideas I guess no one should tell you that you don't need to take the side and top fairings off the bike to change a headlight bulb.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
McAllister said:
Now that you have all these ideas I guess no one should tell you that you don't need to take the side and top fairings off the bike to change a headlight bulb.
That's what I get for reading the Repair Manual, which states pull the top fairing, but to do that, . . . .

Please, do tell how to change the low/high beam bulbs without pulling the side/upper fairing on My Fine '99!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Look under nose cone, you will see the head light dust cover and the large spring clip that holds it in place. Release the spring clip and remove the dust cover and you have access to headlight bulbs. Easy job but small hands help, shouldn't take more than 10 min. to change a bulb the first time.

If installing an HID you may want to take off the nose cone to hide the ballast, but that is not really neccessary either.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got a PM with an offer to help and took the hint . . . found the lights easy to change. I'm sure glad you guys mentioned the easy way to do this. And to think the repair manual said remove the side fairings . . . top fairings . . . install in reverse order.

Thanks!
Curt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts