BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a noob to the LT and it's ways. The person I purchased the bike from left the bike outside and the wheels are really nasty. Any suggestions on what cleans them the best?

Thanks,
George

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
Soap, Water & Mr. Clean "magic erasers".
You may want to try brake cleaner first if really nasty, greasy stuff.
Keir

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Try WD-40 after a soap & water scrub.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I have found that Steel Wool makes the job very easy ... and it won't scratch the paint either. I use the finest steel I can find (typically referred to as #0000). I'm telling you, it works like magic. Just dip the steel wool in your soap and water bucket and they'll look like new before you know it.

Some use a little WD-40 with steel wool, as well.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Joe,
I would be careful with the steel wool, 0000 is very fine but abrasive at the micron level. And will cause nasty rust spots if you lave any strands behind.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
I wouldn't know... I never clean those...:eek: or my bike for that matter.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
They are a pain.

Putting an film of oil on the rims out here, a non-starter with all the dust.

I use brake cleaner, and then soapy water.

Bob

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Windex works great and its easy and fast!

·
Registered
210 Posts
zippy_gg said:
I wouldn't know... I never clean those...:eek: or my bike for that matter.:rolleyes:
I agree! Cleaning just takes time away from riding. I figure they get a bath everytime I ride in the rain.

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
zippy_gg said:
ConspiracyofOne said:
I agree! Cleaning just takes time away from riding. I figure they get a bath everytime I ride in the rain.
Me, too! :rotf:

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
nctarheels said:
I'm a noob to the LT and it's ways. The person I purchased the bike from left the bike outside and the wheels are really nasty. Any suggestions on what cleans them the best?

Thanks,
George
Grappa... :eek:

·
Registered
938 Posts
I clean mine at tire changes. I use a degreaser to get tar off then some Mothers.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Go to your local home improvement store and get a dryer vent brush too. Mine is about 18" long and tapers from nothing to about a 3" diameter. Makes it earier to get to the middle of wheels and between the spokes. Beats a toothbrush or your fingers.

Randy

·
Registered
534 Posts
Whatever cleaner you use, keep it away from the wheel bearings. You risk dissolving/washing out the grease. Especially full strength Simply Green or the use of a pressure washer.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Bike Bright, squirt on , spray off with hose

·
Registered
163 Posts
I want to do it as easily and quickly as possible.

I use auto wheel cleaner and have seen no damage. Just spray it on and wash it off with the hose. Very little scrubbing.

Karl

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
sanjaun2 said:
Joe,
I would be careful with the steel wool, 0000 is very fine but abrasive at the micron level. And will cause nasty rust spots if you lave any strands behind.
I appreciate the concern, but it hasn't been an issue for years. I love my steel wool.

AliMar said:
Grappa... :eek:
Wasting grappa to clean anything but the palate is just a crime and a shame! :mad: ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts