BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, as soon as I sell my waverunner i plan to buy another K1200LT. I say this becasue I used ot own a 2000 K1200LT Icon model. It was a great bike and I put over 20k miles trouble free. This was back when I bought the bike new. How have thee bikes held up in the long term. I know the 99 models didnt come with the skidplate so I would prefer to go 2000 or newer. With my price range a 2003 seems to be about as new as I can get. Are there any problems I should look for. Whats the max mileage someone would recomend? I knwo some smoke on startup is normal but this varies from bike to bike. I have owned other Kbikes and r bikes as well. I have owned 2 R1100Rt's, a K1200Rs and a 2003 K1200GT as well so I am pretty familiar with these, just not as many of the, "special needs" this bike may have needed. I have hear rear ends and stereos are normal to go out that appears to be all. Please help as I will hopefully be in the market soon.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did forget to mention that my back brake went through pads like hot butter and the rotora would get scarred as well becasue of the caliper location so I was told. It collects dirt in the pad and scars the rotar and makes the back brake squeel sometimes. Right when I sold my LT I had heard that BMW had a fix for it, is anyone familiar with that?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Howdy,, I understand the budget thing but,,, If you can afford to bump it a little, try to find at least an '05... The changes will be worth the difference in price.... Good luck................Pete

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
2003 and 2004 model years had the lowest Rear Drive Failures.
I would stay away from 2005 and 2006 models since these are new design models and there are reported failures with displays, center stands and rear drive failures. 2007 and 2008's should have better relaibility if you can afford.

cali_beemer said:
Okay, as soon as I sell my waverunner i plan to buy another K1200LT. I say this becasue I used ot own a 2000 K1200LT Icon model. It was a great bike and I put over 20k miles trouble free. This was back when I bought the bike new. How have thee bikes held up in the long term. I know the 99 models didnt come with the skidplate so I would prefer to go 2000 or newer. With my price range a 2003 seems to be about as new as I can get. Are there any problems I should look for. Whats the max mileage someone would recomend? I knwo some smoke on startup is normal but this varies from bike to bike. I have owned other Kbikes and r bikes as well. I have owned 2 R1100Rt's, a K1200Rs and a 2003 K1200GT as well so I am pretty familiar with these, just not as many of the, "special needs" this bike may have needed. I have hear rear ends and stereos are normal to go out that appears to be all. Please help as I will hopefully be in the market soon.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I definately dont have the budget for going beyond a 2003 model. I have been seeing alot of nice 2002 models in my budget and a few 2003's. I will be looking to stay around 10k or so. I know about the new evo brakes system vs the brembros and I have mixed thoughts on that. I liked my brembros on my LT just fine. I had the evo system on my GT and while they stopped much quicker I am not sure I dig the servo pump system especially on this big of a bike. I know the handling of an 05 is better but to be honest I never had a problem with my 2000 model. All the new features dont do anything for me. I will probably put a Zumo and XM on the bike eventually. I had a zumo and Xm on my last R1100RT and loved it. I dont know how it would integrate to an LT. It would be nice to have the option of listening through the speakers when I want and also to go through headphones as well.

Why do 03 and 04 have a lower number rear drive failures? Did they get the upgraded bearing in there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts