BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend, I sudden realized that it's almost spring and needed to do some work on the Light Truck. I stripped the plastic to replace the radio unit. Luckily for me it was just the fuse.

I also decided to drop the front and the lower spoilers to replace the plugs and drain/fill the transmission fluid. As I was opening the tranny fill plug, I saw this wire dangling in the air:

It is just a few inches above the footpeg and directly above the rear brake.

Judging by the green build up on the plug connectors, I don't think I screwed something up. It looks like it has been unplugged for a while.

My question, could this be a switched power source?

Could I tap into this for my fuse box? I'm very nervous about cutting the wire to the heated seat.

How should I test to see if this is a 'live" wire?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
It's been a while since I've been in there but I think it may be another lead for a 12 volt accessory outlet like the one on the left.

No worries about cutting the wire to the heated seat as long as the motor is off. A couple of butt connectors that are used for telephone wire (available in a small package at Rat Shack) and some heat shrink tubing over top would be the preferred way to reconnect them.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
it would plug in to another outlet if you had one on that side, like you have on the left

·
Registered
236 Posts
To test it use a multimeter or go to your auto zone type store and get a 12v test light. Then turn your key on/off to see if it is switched or not.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is another accessory outlet, then the downside to using it as a switched powersource is that you have to wait for it to become active. Something like a minute after igition?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
RVB1019 said:
If it is another accessory outlet, then the downside to using it as a switched powersource is that you have to wait for it to become active. Something like a minute after igition?
Never heard of that - the fact that is has some green deposits on it would tend to make me believe that it is currently :histerica (sometimes I just kill myself) "live". :D (only with the motor running)

Stick your tongue on it with the motor running - you don't need no steeenking multimeter! ;) WARNING: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS, THIS SHOULD ONLY BE ATTEMPTED BY A TRAINED MOTORCYCLE MECHANIC WITH A FIRE EXTINGUISHER NEARBY.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,922 Posts
RVB1019 said:
It will be the exact second you turn the key - no delay.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If that's the case, then why is it preferred to tap into the heated seat. Isn't that on immediately too?

I'm sooooooo confused!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,922 Posts
You can get to the seat connector (rear) with out removing any tupperware! That is why they recommend it over the right side accessory connector.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
RVB1019 said:
If that's the case, then why is it preferred to tap into the heated seat. Isn't that on immediately too?

I'm sooooooo confused!
I would not use the heated seat wires, they are fused for relatively light load - the wires for the 12V accessory plug (and fuse) are designed for much higher loading, they can handle just about anything you can throw at it - like a 12 volt blender for making margaritas! :eek:

Just by taking a look at the relative thickness of the wires should be enough to verify this...

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I would not use the heated seat wires, they are fused for relatively light load - the wires for the 12V accessory plug (and fuse) are designed for much higher loading, they can handle just about anything you can throw at it - like a 12 volt blender for making margaritas! :eek:

Just by taking a look at the relative thickness of the wires should be enough to verify this...
I assume that using this power source to trigger a relay (to a Blue Sea or other power distribution block) would not draw excessive current . . . :stir:

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's just another accessory plug. I wired my GPS to it. Works great. :dance:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts