BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
A big thanks to Mark for supplying the part numbers for the plastic washers that go onto the screws. please add these to my information above of 3 different screws along with the part number.
Thanks again Mark you are a champion.(y);)
Part number :46638521659
Plastic washer
M5X12,5X0,5

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
13 Posts
I finally got around to installing my Skene P3s and Photon Blasters on the 2019 RT. This included "installing" as ezCan and then configuring that. I spent the extra on that because I really didn't want to mess with the wiring harness.

Things I learned:
1. Taking off the side plastic on the RT is not that hard, and there are several options for running wires along the right hand side, and plenty of reasonably protected space for controllers, distribution blocks etc...
2. Soldering irons will melt insulation on 18g wire real fast
3. Posi-Twist and Posi-Taps are awesome.
4. Registering a ezCan seems like a complexity that could be avoided if Hex wanted too. Why do they require that?
5. My collection of electrical connectors is woefully inadequate to build the multi-component harness I wanted.
6. The Skene flickering works, but I'm basically just usinfg their controller to get that, no other features.
7. The annoyance limiting speed threshold on the flashing brake light in the ezCan is preferable to the Skene's programming.
8. It all resulted in alot of wiring to hide under the seat...

·
Registered
233 Posts
nestastubbs, the things we do to make our bike an peace of us and in some cases individual as we ourself really are in life. That can`t be such a bad thing I hope you got it all sorted.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
13 Posts
@Geoff , yup, all is working.

It's always a trip for me, as a software developer, and a Lisp hacker at that, to work on physical projects like this. My tendency towards keeping the maximum options open, delaying decisions, breaking things down into components, and learning as I go; well, they have much higher cost in the material world than in "cyberspace". The result is often hilariously unrefined, yet functional.

Basically, I need to go get a crimper and some nice quick disconnects and build a set of sub-harnesses, and then trim and reroute all the wires. One harness to turn connect the wires from the lights into one pair, and then another to connect to that pair to the skene controller and the ground. and lastly, the skene controller to the power line. If I hadn't spent a ridiculous amount on the ezCan and Skene kit, I wouldn't have to rationalize it to myself so much 8^)

Anyways, current setup will have to do for my upcoming trip from Vermont to Utah 8^)

·
Premium Member
5,657 Posts
A big thanks to Mark for supplying the part numbers for the plastic washers that go onto the screws. please add these to my information above of 3 different screws along with the part number.
Thanks again Mark you are a champion.(y);)
Part number :46638521659
Plastic washer
M5X12,5X0,5
You might want to note that BMW doesn't use any of those plastic washers anymore, at least there were NONE on the '21 RT! Pretty much confirm my opinion when I first saw them on the '14 RT!

Reactions: Geoff c

·
Registered
233 Posts
You might want to note that BMW doesn't use any of those plastic washers anymore, at least there were NONE on the '21 RT! Pretty much confirm my opinion when I first saw them on the '14 RT!
That may be the case on the 21 RT but on my 2018 they are used and the reason I included the part number for anyone else that may need to get a hold of them. I can say that the washers are not on every screw also so that may depend on the pannel were on other panels they don't need to have them.
I understand things and disigns change from time to time with years and the production of certain parts.

Reactions: Aussie Mark

·
Registered
190 Posts
Necastubs, you may want to consider some of these waterproof heatshrink connectors, like the ones in this link (no connection to this company, it was just the first one that popped up with what I was searching for) Waterproof Solder Wire Connectors - skybetterfly. They make an incredibly neat connection, and if you have a heat gone, much easier to use than a soldering iron.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Friday afternoon and the bike parts are in the oven being baked, so I won't be seeing them until Tuesday next week. Once they come out of the oven they need to be rubbed back and buffed so a few more days won't be such a bad thing allowing time for the paint to harden up fully. As much as I would have loved to have them now in my hot little hands this job is more of a love job for my mate so I can't complain about a slightly longer wait to have them back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Getting my 1100 rt set up for GPS. Revzilla hooked me up with a DIN plug converter and RAM phone mount stuff.
Should really help when I am in parts unknown.

·
Registered
233 Posts
After painting the cylinder head protection guards. I thought the injector covers also needed a cleanup. Before I put the pannels on next week and the bike back together. I got in and finished these off to allow the whole thing to look as if it was as new. I still need to do a touchup on the edges of the injector cover but overall once these dry completely the gloss will settle down and match the guards much better.

IMG_0937.jpeg
IMG_0938.jpeg

141 - 152 of 152 Posts