BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,657 Posts
Cleaned about 1800 miles of Scottish Highlands dust and dirt from the bike (2021 R1250RT). Fortunately we escaped most of the renowned Scottish rain so not too arduous a task.
Bike was brilliant throughout, apart from the usual problems with the TFT/Nav/App that I have detailed before on other threads.
Fortunately, the 11 year old Garmin Zumo 660 worked flawlessly..........

Steve P
(4480 miles since March)
I would love to be able to get back there to ride those roads again one of these days!!!

Reactions: Geoff c

·
Registered
274 Posts
Almost 2 years ago to the day the first 600 mile service on my 2019 RT was £150

Yesterday for the 600 mile service on my 2021 RT I paid £ 220

Good thing inflation is low here on plague island
This is why I perform my own maintenance. I ride 466 miles a week, and at that rate, with the cost of servicing, I’d be sent to the poor house lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Installed my new Aeroflow short/smoke shield so I can get some air in the Texas summer heat.

·
Registered
233 Posts
With us now in COVID Lockdown 5.0 :mad: it was time to cover the bike and connect the battery tender. View attachment 174301
Mark, I hope it will be short and sweet you guys have copped a lot of them down there, I would hate to be trying to run a business. Come this time next week I should be starting to reassemble my bike, I looking forward to that so much.

Reactions: Nil_Time

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Mark, I hope it will be short and sweet you guys have copped a lot of them down there, I would hate to be trying to run a business. Come this time next week I should be starting to reassemble my bike, I looking forward to that so much.
Looking forward to seeing the Pics..(y)

·
Premium Member
5,657 Posts
Geoff - that a darn clean garage!!!! :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the Pics..(y)
Mark, I am hoping the middle of the week or at the very latest it will be Friday Next and I will have all parts back on the bike by the weekend and riding my bum off lol.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Geoff - that a darn clean garage!!!! :)
It is small normally the bike lives outside but you have not seen the messy side lol. The car does not know I own it any longer as it's been outside sitting in the rain wild winds etc we are having now. At least this way the bike is protected from flu and Covid lol and warm as toast in the garage.

Reactions: PadG

·
Registered
153 Posts
Installed my new Aeroflow short/smoke shield so I can get some air in the Texas summer heat.
Can you please post some pics. I'm also in Texas and would like to see other non stock options. Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I should have the bike together by the weekend or at the very latest mid-next week. I called over to check on the progress of my bike panels my mate is painting for me they are well underway with all the prep work done rubbed back, tomorrow they will be painted and clear coated and double-baked in the oven the following day so maybe Friday this week or Tuesday next week, I will have all that done and able to put all the panels back on. I then called over to my local dealership as I ordered 5 of each size body screws for the pannels as spares, wow that was an expensive exercise with them being genuine BMW screws they cost $69.90 for the 15 being 5 of each size as the body panels have 3 different size screws. I could not get after-market ones that even remotely looked like the OME screws so this is the best option should I need to replace a screw that had been put in the wrong place before I owned the bike. I am a fussy old fart but like things to be correct. I thought adding photos might help anyone after spare panel screws for their BMW and having the part numbers help a lot plus save searching for them.

IMG_0932.jpeg

Reactions: Aussie Mark

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not fussiness at all imv - some of the screws are shouldered for a reason, the wrong one in the wrong place can crack the plastic of the panels. That'd a lot more expensive than a few screws!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not fussiness at all imv - some of the screws are shouldered for a reason, the wrong one in the wrong place can crack the plastic of the panels. That'd a lot more expensive than a few screws!
I so agree ,one of my reasons for being a fussy old fart lol plus I like everything to be 100%correct if I am doing anything to my bike or cars.

Reactions: Aussie Mark

·
Premium Member
5,657 Posts
Actually, it's the other way round! The tall shoulder screws are for mount holes that are shared by several panels, while the short shoulder ones are for single or 2. Getting the short shoulder in the wrong hole is no problem at all, while getting the tall shoulder one in the wrong hole will cause looseness because the shoulder will prevent you from tightening the screw all the way! People here in this forum have discovered this the hard way!!! :)

Crack the plastic? No, that's why they are flange screws! BTW, I have had all the main panels off my '21 RT to do some installation, and to my surprise, one or two of the gray panels were secured with flange, but non-shouldered screws!

·
Premium Member
5,657 Posts
I so agree ,one of my reasons for being a fussy old fart lol plus I like everything to be 100%correct if I am doing anything to my bike or cars.
I am like you! I have always been quite methodical in all the years that I have worked on cars and bikes. It pays.

121 - 140 of 152 Posts