BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Picked up a big nail in my rear tire. I was able to plug it, added some air and rode home. So far its holding the correct pressure. I have carried this plug kit and air compressor for over 20 years and today was the 1st time I've had to use it. I am really glad it had it with me, plus the fact it happened on a rural country road with very little traffic. The tire has less than 1000 miles on it so I guess I'm going to continue to run it unless it starts losing air. The puncture was almost dead center.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did you replace the glue tube in it or that is original too? Just trying to work out what to expect from my kit and glue.
Yes I had a fairly new tube of sealant. It was probably replaced within the last 5 years. I think i will replace the remaining tire strips as well. I like them to be sticky and they were a little dry. I am going to add a razor blade knife to my pouch so the excess plug can be cut off flush with the tire.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Added Ztechnik Engine Guards and Highway Folding pegs.
I needed to be able to stretch out a little bit on longer rides. This did the trick without braking the bank on highway pegs. I really like the Wunderlich folding pegs and the illium pegs but there is not enough clearance with the ztechnik engine guards. IMG_0805.jpg IMG_0807.jpg IMG_0808.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Replaced my first H7 headlight in my '18 RT (15K miles) today. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Actually, it was pretty easy taking less than 3 minutes total. Then I bled my front brakes as the brake handle was starting to creep inward before biting. Easy job given I installed speedbleeders last year.

Now she's all ready for Monday's trip.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Be interested in what this would cost.. Even if it is an estimate....
Mark, I knew that ProCycles did a full paint colour change for a guy last month and they said the whole job was around $3,500.00 that included 6 to 7 hours of their labour to pull all the panels off and replace them once it was the bike was painted.

Reactions: Aussie Mark

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well, today I thought I would see how I went pulling my bike panels off myself to save me the labour cost of around $800.00 in order to get the colour of the bike changed to White. I am thinking I want a similar Alpine White that BMW has on the RT`s and GTLs. I spoke to my mate who is painting the bike for me on Friday last. He knows I want a similar or a full white colour similar as I don't like the yellowish looking white colours out there. Some photos below of the bike pulled apart. I am also going to get him to paint the top lid section around the carbon fibre section in the centre of the lid and the bottom of the outer section of the luggage bags as I go him to paint on my 2017 GTL when I had that bike.
IMG_0897 2.jpeg
IMG_0894.jpeg
IMG_0895.jpeg
IMG_0897.jpeg
IMG_0907.jpeg
IMG_0908.jpeg
IMG_0902.jpeg
IMG_0904.jpeg
IMG_0910.jpeg
IMG_3038.JPG

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well done Geoff. I hope it wasn't as daunting as you originally thought. Cheers.
Nar, I have always liked playing with anything mechanical since I was 16 years old so that with help from youtube and a few other investigations on what needed to be done. The only thing I had a problem with was working out was how the front headlight surround section came off. I googled the panel part on eBay and I was lucky enough to find one for sale with a few good photos of where the screws were located, so I just took my time and got there. Not rushing it took me about 4 hours so saving around $800 plus on labor by pulling it apart for myself then putting it back together once my mate paints it. I think he might have it done by next week although I have not booked the bike in with him. He will do his best to get onto it for me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Geoff, now it's time to clean those areas that collect dust and grime that we often are unable to access.(y)
LOL, the very first thing I noticed haha. So I started to do that but in no great hurry as I am sure my mate will take a week or 2 as he doesn't even know I was going to pull the parts off or when I was going to do it. He's in for a treat tomorrow morning lol. I am also going to get him to flow coat it so it should give the paint a deep glass look when finished.

Reactions: Nil_Time

·
Registered
233 Posts
Today I took the engine guard off the RT and then the Spark plug cover painted them so as always you do one thing then something else looks a bit off so repainted the center stand as well. These are only small things along with cleaning the parts you normally don't see or get to when the parts are all on the bike. I am hoping once the bike has all of the Tupperware is painted this will add to the end result.

IMG_0914.jpeg
IMG_0917.jpeg
IMG_0919.jpeg
IMG_0920.jpeg

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I had to get gas Mark.
Had to go to Lubbock because I had too much gas in the tank to make the trip to the gas station worthwhile.
Then I got hungry.
Timed it perfectly, gas station was open when I get home.
Bike's ready to ride next spontaneous idea comes up...¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I ordered 5 of each size Tupperware screws from BMW today so I have some spares to make sure the correct size and colour of screw goes where it is supposed to. I near fell over with the cost of the 15 screws came to just under $70.00 AUD I know they are BMW but wow that price is way over the top. I could have bought cheap Chinese ones but they take ages tpo get here and the ones I wanted were not available like the OME. They had all colours but then you need to consider that the quality and what they are made of, at least I will know the OME screws will be correct in size and collar width, and length.
As a side note, I have not lost any screws but want to make sure I have spare and the correct one goes into the right place as the bike is a 2018 although I know the service history of the bike I don't know how many times any panels, etc. have been pulled off to do the services. I spoke to my mate who is painting the pannels he has got them all prepped, the undercoat goes on tomorrow then he can start spraying them and clear coating each one. I should have all of them back by the end of next week in time to reassemble the bike.

Reactions: Aussie Mark

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cleaned about 1800 miles of Scottish Highlands dust and dirt from the bike (2021 R1250RT). Fortunately we escaped most of the renowned Scottish rain so not too arduous a task.
Bike was brilliant throughout, apart from the usual problems with the TFT/Nav/App that I have detailed before on other threads.
Fortunately, the 11 year old Garmin Zumo 660 worked flawlessly..........

Steve P
(4480 miles since March)

101 - 120 of 152 Posts