BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1081 - 1100 of 1118 Posts

· Premium Member
903 Posts
I have slid off the road into ditches from iced over bridges... and traveled cross country in 2 1/2 days fueled by Red Bull.
lol
These days I am a lot saner... though, still wondering when i will buy an RT. I read posts and wonder what I will do.
I have been conflicted over issues with some of the electronics on the new models.
For the last four years I keep thinking I will wait for the latest R1250RT... and, they seem to get more complicated concerning repairs though I do like the bells and whistles and big TFT screens. I like to do my own repairs and not having a shop manual has been bothering me the last few years. I guess it's always something.Thoughts?

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
560 Posts
I have slid off the road into ditches from iced over bridges... and traveled cross country in 2 1/2 days fueled by Red Bull.
lol
These days I am a lot saner... though, still wondering when i will buy an RT. I read posts and wonder what I will do.
I have been conflicted over issues with some of the electronics on the new models.
For the last four years I keep thinking I will wait for the latest R1250RT... and, they seem to get more complicated concerning repairs though I do like the bells and whistles and big TFT screens. I like to do my own repairs and not having a shop manual has been bothering me the last few years. I guess it's always something.Thoughts?
Trust me. 2018's are your sweet spot. Find a low mile "premium", buy a BMW manual clone copy on Ebay (since BMW won't sell them anymore), and start having fun. The newer bikes will still be around later, if the R1200RT isn't enough for you. (So will the dealer's maintenance and repair bills, since they won't sell you a manual; but Boxflyer Brad has helped a bunch with that, with his helpful videos.)

ALL Beemers have problems of one type or another. Think of it this way. BMW builds some of the most advanced touring bikes in the world. The "bugs" are part of the package, as they reach for the "bleeding edge". After a new model's been out a few years, most of those things are cleaned up. After that, change the fluids (and I mean ALL OF THEM, including hydraulics and coolant) on an aggressive schedule, R&R the other wear-repairable, and maybe pay to send your fluids off the Blackstone labs for reassurance. Yep, stuff can go wrong, and it can get expensive, but you can do a lot to mitigate that. If you're a decent wrench, you can save ton's on maintenance, too.

That's my 2 cents.

· Premium Member
6,590 Posts
lol
I have a feeling that you are going to be getting the R1300RT! There is a very strong rumor that the 1300 will be coming out as a GS this year.

· Registered
620 Posts
lol
My long time LT with 200,000 plus miles became too big and old for me (2000). I picked up a 2010 RT and did about 40K miles the last few years, and liked it ok. Then, saw a 2019 R1250RT for sale. had to have it. Bought it in RI and took 5 days to ride home to WI (some long days on back roads), and have done 8000 miles when I put it away for the winter. I know it's the first year of the 1250, but it had 11K miles, and was in perfect shape and farlkeled exactly like I would want. I love the bike. Just my .02. The 1250 is a step up from the older 1200, I know it doesn't have the fancy dash that some like, but this is my new long time bike.

· Premium Member
6,590 Posts
My long time LT with 200,000 plus miles became too big and old for me (2000). I picked up a 2010 RT and did about 40K miles the last few years, and liked it ok. Then, saw a 2019 R1250RT for sale. had to have it. Bought it in RI and took 5 days to ride home to WI (some long days on back roads), and have done 8000 miles when I put it away for the winter. I know it's the first year of the 1250, but it had 11K miles, and was in perfect shape and farlkeled exactly like I would want. I love the bike. Just my .02. The 1250 is a step up from the older 1200, I know it doesn't have the fancy dash that some like, but this is my new long time bike.
For me, the electronics and all that is quite secondary. I consider them to be "tools", and learn to use them, and know their limitations. I am in control, and not the bike! The biggest plus for the new generation is the redesign that BMW had done to the front end of the RT. They claim extensive use of wind-tunnel, and it shows. On the 2021+ RT, you can drop the shield to the lowest position, at highway speed of 70+ mph, and you won't even feel any turbulence or the associated wind noise that goes with it! Your 2019 RT is basically the same as my prior 2015 RT, except for the engine. On that bike, I had tried to get more air flow, in the hot summer heat, by dropping the shield, but the wind roar were always intolerable, to me, even when the shield was dropped just a little bit below the "optimum" point!

The Werks QuietRide shield was a real blessing on that bike, to cut down the wind noise. I also have that shield for my present '21 RT, but after a couple of years of touring long distance on this bike, with the short Sport shield, I have to say that I prefer to keep the shorter Sport shield on. The Werks shield never went back on the bike last fall at all, and it will most likely stay off for the spring! That's how well BMW have done the redesign.

Take one out for a test ride and see for yourself. ;)

PS: a warning! I have had all of my RTs into the 3-digits speed at some point or another. 220 mph for the '07 RT, and a little more for the '15 RT, but each time I certainly knew that I was going fast because of the amount of buffeting at around 90+ mph! I have been well into the 3-digits with the present '21 RT as well (many times), but the big difference is that each time, on the present RT, they were done quite unintentionally! There simply were no buffeting as feedback to warn me! Take a look at my video of the ride from Monument Valley to Moab, and keep an eye on the RT's dash in that video, as I pass the car in the 3rd passing, and you will see/hear what I mean. My ride log says 109, BTW.

· Registered
2021 R1250RT
293 Posts
For me, the electronics and all that is quite secondary. I consider them to be "tools", and learn to use them, and know their limitations. I am in control, and not the bike! The biggest plus for the new generation is the redesign that BMW had done to the front end of the RT. They claim extensive use of wind-tunnel, and it shows. On the 2021+ RT, you can drop the shield to the lowest position, at highway speed of 70+ mph, and you won't even feel any turbulence or the associated wind noise that goes with it! Your 2019 RT is basically the same as my prior 2015 RT, except for the engine. On that bike, I had tried to get more air flow, in the hot summer heat, by dropping the shield, but the wind roar were always intolerable, to me, even when the shield was dropped just a little bit below the "optimum" point!

The Werks QuietRide shield was a real blessing on that bike, to cut down the wind noise. I also have that shield for my present '21 RT, but after a couple of years of touring long distance on this bike, with the short Sport shield, I have to say that I prefer to keep the shorter Sport shield on. The Werks shield never went back on the bike last fall at all, and it will most likely stay off for the spring! That's how well BMW have done the redesign.

PS: a warning! I have had all of my RTs into the 3-digits speed at some point or another. 220 mph for the '07 RT, and a little more for the '15 RT, but each time I certainly knew that I was going fast because of the amount of buffeting at around 90+ mph! I have been well into the 3-digits with the present '21 RT as well (many times), but the big difference is that each time, on the present RT, they were done quite unintentionally! There simply were no buffeting as feedback to warn me! Take a look at my video of the ride from Monument Valley to Moab, and keep an eye on the RT's dash in that video, as I pass the car in the 3rd passing, and you will see/hear what I mean. My ride log says 109, BTW.
Great input... question: did you notice any MPG drop when using the Werks shield vs Sport? I noticed the Werks was very quiet and did notice some noise w/short shield but not crazy... I came from a Tracer 900 which was terrible.

· Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Great input... question: did you notice any MPG drop when using the Werks shield vs Sport? I noticed the Werks was very quiet and did notice some noise w/short shield but not crazy... I came from a Tracer 900 which was terrible.
No, but it's very hard to tell. I don't think that I noticed any difference on the '15 RT, but I wasn't looking for it either. It's definitely impossible to tell with the 1250s, because the mpg on this bike tends to be relatively uniform, regardless of how I ride. Quite unlike the '15 1200, where my mpg numbers could vary from about 37 mpg to 50+ mpg (average for the tankful) depending on my mood for the day's ride! :) BTW, my mpg numbers are based on recorded actual fuel usage vs actual miles ridden. I keep track of the numbers, out of very old habits!

Reactions: kbob12 and Mellow

· Premium Member
903 Posts
Awesome comments, Everyone! Thank you!
And, yeah... I have been reading about the R1300RT... sheesh! It's always something!
I actually like the look of the RTPs, too. I plan to visit the local PD and ask about their bikes. I went to Coronado in southern CA to participate in their Ride To Live safety course and loved the dual batteries, solo seat, and crash bars... even if they aren't the most attractive looking features!
Seeing some RT owners here riding them has made me more interested!

· Registered
2022 R1250RT Racing Blue
61 Posts
Awesome comments, Everyone! Thank you!
And, yeah... I have been reading about the R1300RT... sheesh! It's always something!
I actually like the look of the RTPs, too. I plan to visit the local PD and ask about their bikes. I went to Coronado in southern CA to participate in their Ride To Live safety course and loved the dual batteries, solo seat, and crash bars... even if they aren't the most attractive looking features!
Seeing some RT owners here riding them has made me more interested!
feel free to private message me any questions you have about the RT-P. I’ve got just over 100k miles experience between a 2017 and 2018 the last 5 years.

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
243 Posts
feel free to private message me any questions you have about the RT-P. I’ve got just over 100k miles experience between a 2017 and 2018 the last 5 years.
Which gear ratios do you prefer of the two and why? (RT-P vs civilian RT)

Thinking the lower gearing of the RT-P would be superior for the additional weight added to the moto for
official use...

· Premium Member
903 Posts
Wow! Thanks so much!
I imagine the weight savings alone would also be a big plus compared to my K1200LT.
Being about to find tires anywhere on the road will be a big plus.
I will private message you soon! Thanks, again! Cheers!

· Registered
217 Posts

220 mph? You were either dreaming or hit the wrong key! :sleep::LOL:

· Registered
2022 R1250RT Racing Blue
61 Posts
Which gear ratios do you prefer of the two and why? (RT-P vs civilian RT)

Thinking the lower gearing of the RT-P would be superior for the additional weight added to the moto for
official use...
I don't know anything about there being a difference in gearing between the two and not sure why you would need one. Certainly a civilian version, with a passenger, two larger panniers and top case loaded out weights significantly more that what we add for police use (radio, laptop, small printer, MAYBE a rifle/shotgun, and some paperwork.)

· Premium Member
6,590 Posts
I don't know anything about there being a difference in gearing between the two and not sure why you would need one. Certainly a civilian version, with a passenger, two larger panniers and top case loaded out weights significantly more that what we add for police use (radio, laptop, small printer, MAYBE a rifle/shotgun, and some paperwork.)
I believe that everything is the same in the Police model, EXCEPT that the final drive do have a lower gear ratio than the standard RT, It's for much better low speed handling! The GS/GSA also have lower gear ratio in their FD, perhaps the same as the RT-P, and for the same reasons. They need the larger front wheel diameter plus the lower FD gear ratio for low speed handling over obstacles. The fringe benefit of the lower gear ratio is that you will have better acceleration, but lower top speed.

Reactions: kbob12

· Premium Member
6,590 Posts
220 mph? You were either dreaming or hit the wrong key! :sleep::LOL:
Obviously, that's a typo!! ;) BTW, I just want to make it very clear that even though I may have reached those speeds, I do NOT condone riding at speed as a habit. Personally, I do pay attention to speed limits while riding, and will never exceed them in populated areas, but will exceed them by just a few mph on the highways or country roads. The only reasons why I have taken my RTs to those speed is only because I always need to know how the bike will behave under all conditions. It is also why I gave the warning about the 2021+ RTs, which will take you up to those speed with no warnings, if you don't watch it! It takes zero skill to ride fast. Anybody can hold the throttle open and hang on!

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
243 Posts
The GS/GSA also have lower gear ratio in their FD, perhaps the same as the RT-P, and for the same reasons.
That is exactly what I've learned also.. RT-P has the lower final drive gear ratio which is used in the GS/GSA.

Simple rpm comparison at 80 mph GPS would validate the difference on the RT-P vs RT civilian.

· Premium Member
903 Posts
I can't imagine paying $52k for a motorcycle... it's a little out of my price range.
I do love my H-D FLSTC though for day to day rides.

Today, I rode into the San Gabriel mountains and saw a bobcat. That was amazing!
The Harley doesn't leak oil. It starts all the time.
It runs great, but it's not something I would want to ride cross-country!
I will stick to my search for an RT.
Life is good.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Sky Vehicle

1081 - 1100 of 1118 Posts