BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
721 - 731 of 731 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I moved my rear camera from the license plate to spot on the tail that doesn't bounce all over the place and the video quality has much improved.

Looks good!

How did you mount it? What kind of screws did you use?

I too have a camera mounted like that but on the other side. Currently, held up with gorilla tape. Obviously, comes off time to time and have to put new tape.

I wasn't sure what I could use to permanently fixate it like yours.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Looks good!

How did you mount it? What kind of screws did you use?

I too have a camera mounted like that but on the other side. Currently, held up with gorilla tape. Obviously, comes off time to time and have to put new tape.

I wasn't sure what I could use to permanently fixate it like yours.

Thanks,
I used the Innovv angle bracket that come with the installation kit. I took out the shouldered screw and used a normal body screw instead. Now the video is stable and doesn't bounce all over the place.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used the Innovv angle bracket that come with the installation kit. I took out the shouldered screw and used a normal body screw instead. Now the video is stable and doesn't bounce all over the place.
Oh ok. Thanks for posting more pictures!

I will have to see if I can do the same thing. Sorry don't have a picture of mine on my motorcycle.

I have a blueskysea A12 camera.
Automotive lighting Font Pattern Space Illustration

The bracket is somewhat different. Maybe I can switch the bracket for one similar to yours.

But if not, do you think I'd be able to just screw into the plastic around the area of where your screw is? I don't really want to do this, but if I have to make it more secure.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2015 RT-P
4 Posts
Hello from Tassie, in December I was lucky and scored this 2015 ex-police 1200RT/LC. High mileage, though in great condition, at a bargain price - too good to let that pass me by. A few niggly things though needed to be sorted out pretty soon I felt. Cop bikes in Oz don't have horns, when this one was sold they only put a tiny meep-meep shitty horn on, new button too. Encouraged by what I read from other riders on the forum, I immediately ordered a Stebel Nautilus which fits snug inside a cavity behind the left side panel, with fused supply from the 2nd battery.

I found that both side panels had those upper tabs broken off. It seems that's so common - a company in USA even sells replacement tabs for around $40. However, I was able to make my own by modifying u-clips for mesh fence panels. Industrial strength double sided sticky tape keeps them in place.

Naturally the grips showed serious wear, that was easily fixed with shrink tube usually used for fishing rods handles.

The gps spot was adopted to accept my zumo 590 cradle

The police-radio topbox I removed, converted the base into a luggage rack, with the option of installing a pillion seat if the missus wants to hutch a ride. Tapped thread M6 into the base-hinge, stainless M6 bolts secure the seat to the base.

The push-lock of the glove compartment on the left was virtually seized solid (gunked up). Needed a full strip-down & clean out.

I think that addressed most points i found so far, my next task will most likely be to locate the original wires for the OEM horn button and splice in the aftermarket (button) wires to be able to use the standard button as intended.

Automotive tire Vehicle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork Bicycle part
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Trunk Automotive tire
Camera accessory Bumper Bag Camera lens Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Hood Gas Auto part Machine Automotive lighting
Gas Motor vehicle Automotive tire Recreation Personal protective equipment
Automotive tire Hood Black Wood Road surface
Rectangle Audio equipment Automotive tire Gas Font
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
182 Posts
Made an appointment to get new set of tires installed on my 2019 RT after only 6429 miles on my existing Metzler Roadtec 01's. I was very disappointed that with that mileage I only had 2/32 tread depth left. I used to get about 2K more miles on both my 2016 FJR and 2011 R1200R. I decided to get a set of Michelin Road 4 GT's and give those a try and see how they compare both mileage and performance wise. I got them for $400 including installation, dealer fees and taxes. I get them mounted next Sat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Made an appointment to get new set of tires installed on my 2019 RT after only 6429 miles on my existing Metzler Roadtec 01's. I was very disappointed that with that mileage I only had 2/32 tread depth left. I used to get about 2K more miles on both my 2016 FJR and 2011 R1200R. I decided to get a set of Michelin Road 4 GT's and give those a try and see how they compare both mileage and performance wise. I got them for $400 including installation, dealer fees and taxes. I get them mounted next Sat.
Ran the 4 GTs on the work bike for the first couple years, had not issues with them. Usually got about 9-10k unless I caught a nail or something. Switched to the 5GT last year and love them too.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ran the 4 GTs on the work bike for the first couple years, had not issues with them. Usually got about 9-10k unless I caught a nail or something. Switched to the 5GT last year and love them too.
Thanks for the response. I was on the fence about getting another set of Metzler Roadtec 01's, which I love their performance in wet and dry, or going with the 4 GT's.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #729 ·
(y)

My RT passion must run in our family. While researching the Innovv K3 and potential locations on the bike, my teenage daughter did her own research and made me an Innovv 1:1 scale mockup camera to assist with location options.. :giggle:
Audio equipment Gas Wire Cable Jewellery

·
Registered
70 Posts
I personally prefer the handling of the 5GTs over the 4GTs that were on the bike when I purchased my new to me 2015. Granted, the 4s weren’t brand new but only had a couple K on them. The 5s seem to be more balanced when entering and exiting the turns - at least for me.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
96 Posts
I personally prefer the handling of the 5GTs over the 4GTs that were on the bike when I purchased my new to me 2015. Granted, the 4s weren’t brand new but only had a couple K on them. The 5s seem to be more balanced when entering and exiting the turns - at least for me.
Going back 6+ years, I was riding on whatever version of Pilot Roads (maybe 2) they had back then. The key to PR's as I recall, is that they were designed to be soft on the outside, especially the edges, with harder rubber forming the core. So, they would be sticky and grip like Meltzer's, which were between a 3K and 5K mile tire for me, but they could last twice as long. So, if you were riding on 4GTs with a couple of thousand miles on them, particularly if the previous owner was aggressive in the twisties, a new set of either 4GTs or 5GTs would, I expect, handle substantially better.

I don't recall any rapid tail off in handling with the PR's I had back then, and in fact, they were the best of about a half dozen sets of street tires I had on two different RT's. But then again, I'm not the knee dragging kinda rider (more like "frigid flyer" type 🤣🤣🤣).

721 - 731 of 731 Posts