BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
701 - 720 of 731 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Interesting. I just happened to put on a new set as well (Dunlop Roadsmart 3) to replace the OEM Metzelers at 13k kilometres. It looked the same to me as well, the front was worn a bit more than the rear, until I discovered that despite nowhere near the wear markers, it showed some steel wires for a 4" length in the middle of the tyre. This was strike two for Metzeler as a brand on my bikes.
Which model of Metzelers were OEM's ?

·
Premium Member
5,960 Posts
Interesting. I just happened to put on a new set as well (Dunlop Roadsmart 3) to replace the OEM Metzelers at 13k kilometres. It looked the same to me as well, the front was worn a bit more than the rear, until I discovered that despite nowhere near the wear markers, it showed some steel wires for a 4" length in the middle of the tyre. This was strike two for Metzeler as a brand on my bikes.
People had experienced just that with the Metzler Z8 rear. I had the Z8 as stock from the factory on my prior '15 RT, and got very close to the same fate with the rear, and I quickly had both replaced. Now, a set of Z8 is on my new RT, and I am keeping a close eye on it. BTW, I understand that Michelin is coming out with new tires for sport-tourer, like our RT, on January 1st.

·
Premium Member
5,960 Posts

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
428 Posts
I understand that Michelin is coming out with new tires for sport-tourer, like our RT, on January 1st.
Oh, that doesn't give the Road 5 range much of a "lifespan"... The Pilot Road 4 lot was the top of the line for years before Road 5 came out. I had a set (R5) on my '06 RT. Gave me 3k kilometres more and in better shape (less squaring) then the previous PR4 set.

On a separate note and just because I didn't know about it (Dunlop didn't make much of a song and dance), Roadsmart 4 is out now. 5% dry handling, 10% wet handling and 23/26 % longevity improvements over RS 3. At $100 more for the pair at my favourite MC tyre joint. Only found out when the RS3 set was already on its way to me :(

·
Premium Member
5,960 Posts
Oh, that doesn't give the Road 5 range much of a "lifespan"... The Pilot Road 4 lot was the top of the line for years before Road 5 came out. I had a set (R5) on my '06 RT. Gave me 3k kilometres more and in better shape (less squaring) then the previous PR4 set.

On a separate note and just because I didn't know about it (Dunlop didn't make much of a song and dance), Roadsmart 4 is out now. 5% dry handling, 10% wet handling and 23/26 % longevity improvements over RS 3. At $100 more for the pair at my favourite MC tyre joint. Only found out when the RS3 set was already on its way to me :(
I am quite interested to see what Michelin is going to release! I am quite a fan of their tires, having had the PR2 on the '07 RT (with Power 2CT front), and worked my way all the way up to the Road 5, which I had on the '15 RT. I had tried the Pirelli Angel GT, and that is the only tire that I will say "never again". Started out really good, but went rapidly downhill from there. The only other brand that I have experience with is the Metzler that came on the RT from the factory. Not bad, but I don't seem to feel the same confidence with them as I had on any of the Michelins.

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
88 Posts
Really? so these would work? Makes sense BMW would keep as many things common as possible:

It worked for me. Mine actually looks exactly the same. It sandwiches between the radiator and the air guidance plastic in the front of it. Located by the hole on the bracket. I have that on my '21 since I brought it home and works a treat.
Just got these in and installed, fit is perfect, not bad for under $30.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wife and I got different heated pants and tried them out today. It was 41 F degrees today and we stayed plenty warm. The idea was to see how little we would need to pack for a trip that might turn cold. I think this will help my wife to pack less for a several day trip.

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,960 Posts
@PadG I'm glad I saw this thread. Thanks for the heads-up. In case you missed it: MICHELIN Road 6 | MICHELIN Motorcycle sport touring tire

We should probably start a new thread if we're going to discuss this, but I thought I'd just share the link here in case others read your teaser (like me).
Yep, that's it. The Z8 presently on my RT should be worn (10k+ miles) before mid-June, when I head west for some long rides, and I hope that there will be enough R6GT around for me to get a set! When the R5 came out, the GT wasn't available for about a year or more!

·
Registered
70 Posts
The 5GTs are what I’m running now. They are a nice improvement over the 4GTs they replaced. For me, the handling in the twisties is way better and they feel much more balanced when entering and exiting the curves.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thought about replacing the burnt out low beam on my ‘17 but garage was awful cold so I put it off to another day. 😎

·
Registered
11 Posts
Didn't do anything to it yet because I won't take delivery for another week or so. But received my toll pass and FMS side stand extension today for when it arrives.

·
Registered
2022 Triple Black R1250rt. Previously 2009rt, 2011K1600, 2017RT, 2019RT
197 Posts
Added a missing link to the TFT.
I finally found something that works...CanSam Speed Camera alerts. (Android)
Downloaded to my bike phone and whilst I don't see it on the map I get voice alert in my connected via bike Packtalk Bold.
Music dims...there is a tone for when in intercom mode. Tested it today and every camera was identified as it should. 500, 300 and 100 m alerts. So far so good.

701 - 720 of 731 Posts