BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
661 - 680 of 682 Posts

·
Registered
2019 R1250rt
161 Posts
Well not just today. Finished refarkling the new Triple Black R1250 bike.

Going to get a new Werks screen when shipping available to AUS. Best wind control yet on a r1200/50.
Not replacing the horns - yet!!

Werks quiet ride Screen - New holes drilled on old screen
Sargeant Seat
Denali CanSmart (x2...piggy backs to drive all the accs)
Denali T3 Switchback front lights
Denali T3 Switchback Rear lights
Denali D2 spots
OEM 49 lit Top Box - previously painted to match the "grey" on the Mars Red now part of the triple blacks
Brake light in Top Box
McCauley (GunInventor) Handlebar risers
Wunderlich Pannier protectors
Grip Puppies

1400kms in 1st week south to Batemans Bay...about to do another 2000 this week up to Armidale and surrounds. (from Sydney)
Loving it!!

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #665 ·
Installation
Spent this afternoon getting the bike sorted for the next ride. While checking fluids and components, I noticed that the bracket used in the Wunderlich lowering peg kit has (in my case) caused a clearance issue with the Banjo fitting pressure line running from the foot brake cylinder to the pressure modulator and the feed line from the reservoir. It may not cause a leak from the rubbing contact, but I was happy I noticed it early and made an adjustment to provide a few mm of clearance between the pipes.
Just mentioning it for those that may have the foot peg lowering kit installed..
Tire Automotive lighting Light Wheel Automotive tire

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

·
Registered
412 Posts
Geoff,
Thanks for your contributions to the RT community and best wishes for the future..

Mark
Mark thanks mate I love my bike but due to circumstances that have changed I won't be able to ride it as much as I would like to and then again it only gets rider in fine dry weather anyway lol Of course unless, I get caught in the rain or committed to going for a ride with someone that I don't like letting down. I'm sure with your knowledge and help that you share with others the forum will survive without me lol.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Today I swapped my BMW sport windscreen out for my Aeroflow tall. Went for a breakfast ride with my riding club and got caught in a bunch of rain, glad I had the tall screen to hide behind. Came home and spent an hour washing the road dirt off and getting her ready to do it all over again...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Installed a new set of DUNLOP ROADSMART IV tires on the ‘16 RT last week and tried them out this last weekend. All I can say presently is; OH MY, OH MY!!!
More to follow after I get some real miles under them, but instantly they steer very accurately, quiet, holds corners naturally with tons of confidence. They might be a viable replacement for folks who like to exercise the Sport in SportTouring, :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well not just today. Finished refarkling the new Triple Black R1250 bike.

Going to get a new Werks screen when shipping available to AUS. Best wind control yet on a r1200/50.
Not replacing the horns - yet!!

Werks quiet ride Screen - New holes drilled on old screen
Sargeant Seat
Denali CanSmart (x2...piggy backs to drive all the accs)
Denali T3 Switchback front lights
Denali T3 Switchback Rear lights
Denali D2 spots
OEM 49 lit Top Box - previously painted to match the "grey" on the Mars Red now part of the triple blacks
Brake light in Top Box
McCauley (GunInventor) Handlebar risers
Wunderlich Pannier protectors
Grip Puppies

1400kms in 1st week south to Batemans Bay...about to do another 2000 this week up to Armidale and surrounds. (from Sydney)
Loving it!!
That full frontal pic, I thought it was a UFO then realized it was your bike! ;) In all seriousness, the bike looks great.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,890 Posts
Since I recently (July 31st) picked up a 2021 RT with alarm I'm curious how long the batteries lasted so I can plan for replacement.

thanks
Well, I don't think that the unit in the '21 RT is the same one, but just to give you some ideas, I picked up my previous '15 RT in September 2014, and hadn't had to replace the battery in the alarm before I traded it in earlier this year! On my, also previous, '07 RT, I did replaced the alarm's battery around 2013.

I suspect that how often will be based on how you use the alarm. I rarely turned mine on, since it's usually quite safe where my RT is parked. I only turn the alarm on in questionable areas or when parked at a lodging for overnight stays.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #676 ·
The batteries have a shelf life of 10 years and I put my alarm on each time while out and about. So figured for $15 it was cost effective to replace them at 6 years.

·
Premium Member
5,890 Posts
The batteries have a shelf life of 10 years and I put my alarm on each time while out and about. So figured for $15 it was cost effective to replace them at 6 years.
You would have gotten a warning on the dash when the battery needs to be replaced, but with plenty of time to replace it/them. 6 years sounds about right. Looking at your picture, it looks like it's very easy to replace. Not so on the '07 RT, and I haven't bothered to look at my '21 RT yet.

On the same note, I also replace the RT's main battery after 5 years.

Reactions: Aussie Mark

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
60 Posts
I drained four month old, California-ethanol-laced regular fuel down to less than a half gallon, road 10 miles to get some premium clear gas, and rode my new (to me) 2018 RT another 10 miles or so, just to shake up the tank and mix the new fuel with the old. It was overcast, windy, but 58F today, December 1st, in Northern Idaho. Tomorrow, the temps drop "sharply" all the way down to 50F (freezing tomorrow night), so I'll probably take one more ride, maybe 30 miles or so, top her off and put her to bed for the winter. It's been a very, very mild fall and winter thus far.

This was my second ride since I bought it in September (and received it shipped in late October. My shifting skills still stink, out of practice after a 6 year riding layoff (plus, a new bike with smoother tranny, quick shift, etc.). Maybe I'll do better tomorrow. No riding gear (long story involving a move) except helmet and gloves, so I'm riding like Grandma going to church on Sunday. 🤣

·
Registered
616 Posts
60,000 miles, 2010 RT

All fluids
Brake bleed, new pads
New Tires
Plugs
air filter
Spline lube

Then the hard part-put the cover and trickle charger on it in the corner for a while here in WI

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
You would have gotten a warning on the dash when the battery needs to be replaced, but with plenty of time to replace it/them. 6 years sounds about right. Looking at your picture, it looks like it's very easy to replace. Not so on the '07 RT, and I haven't bothered to look at my '21 RT yet.
??? I replaced the battery on my 07 RT last year and it was really easy?? ¯\(?)

Disregard - just saw you were talking about ALARM Batteries... :rolleyes:

661 - 680 of 682 Posts