BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
641 - 660 of 682 Posts

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
60 Posts
Scott, I am sure you won't get sick of riding the BMW they are great bike and do so much of everything like handing, speed, torque brake and so much more with so little effort. The only thing I would be making sure of before spending lots on accessories etc except riding gear ifs that all the service work is up to date and that includes the Drive shaft as BMW don't do it as a regular part of a service. Ask that it be taken out serviced ,such as new grease etc and then of course new diff oil no more than 180 ml. Some tend to over fill the diff for some reason. I have done some research of late in regards to the drive shaft and amazed me how many even near new bikes have used splines on the drive shaft.
I'll start doing some maintenance procedures come January, and that'll probably include the driveshaft. I thought that the final drive was serviced as part of the 20K they just did, I'll double check, and if not, I'll change the final drive lub/oil as well. I have the full BMW service history from the time it was first put into service in May, 2019. Not much mystery. I may or may not recheck the cam chain tension and valves, but not really ready to spend the $$$ for the tools ... unless I notice a problem, I'll probably wait until the 30K (18,000 miles) service, which I'll do myself.

My immediate plans just call for draining the ethanol-laced premium from the tank, and replacing it with pure 91 octane premium (at ...ah.. very premium prices just now), for winter storage. Maybe I'll build a support to get weight off both tires, too. (If I'm bored enough. 😏) It's already on trickle charge.

Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'll start doing some maintenance procedures come January, and that'll probably include the driveshaft. I thought that the final drive was serviced as part of the 20K they just did, I'll double check, and if not, I'll change the final drive lub/oil as well. I have the full BMW service history from the time it was first put into service in May, 2019. Not much mystery. I may or may not recheck the cam chain tension and valves, but not really ready to spend the $$$ for the tools ... unless I notice a problem, I'll probably wait until the 30K (18,000 miles) service, which I'll do myself.

My immediate plans just call for draining the ethanol-laced premium from the tank, and replacing it with pure 91 octane premium (at ...ah.. very premium prices just now), for winter storage. Maybe I'll build a support to get weight off both tires, too. (If I'm bored enough. 😏) It's already on trickle charge.

Thanks for the recommendation.
I spoke to my mate who is the local dealership service manager and he told me the GS is the one to really look out for the shaft but it should also be noted that the shaft great from the factory is not the best and turns to paste so he suggested doing all bikes at lest at the 30,000 klm or 18,000 mile service. It is not melted as you say in any service sqeduales so you do need to ask for that to be checked.

Reactions: Scott9999

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #644 ·
I spoke to my mate who is the local dealership service manager and he told me the GS is the one to really look out for the shaft but it should also be noted that the shaft great from the factory is not the best and turns to paste so he suggested doing all bikes at lest at the 30,000 klm or 18,000 mile service
I was please with the condition of universal joint when I did mine at 100,000Km.
After a quick clean of the splines and boot, it was time for grease and reassembly.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Alloy wheel Rim

Automotive tire Peripheral Camera accessory Automotive design Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
412 Posts
Reactions: Aussie Mark

·
Registered
412 Posts
I had a wonderful day today on my ride and got to meet up with a mate from the K1600 forum again on the Oxley highway he came down to Stockman's creek rest stop on the Oxley Highway NSW to meet me, we had lunch at Walcha Road Hotel it was overused with 3 other customers my mate along with myself overflowing that number to a massive 5 customers. All in all a massive day ride average temp was from 5c to 23 c very winding and cold on the Tablelands and Liverpool ranges on the way home. The countryside was so green from all the rain we have had over the last 2 weeks. I just managed 760klms in 9 hours and 3 mins ridings. The boy racers that normally race uop and won from Oxley from Wuachope to Gingers Creek were only in small numbers on the Oxley Highway, which may have also been due to the cold and windy conditions. I think with may mate, Paul coming from to meet me from Armidale, then after lunch we cntinued to ride westaward down towards Australias Country Music town and the south along the New England highway to Wallabadah, just before Willow Tree before my mate leaving me to retun home so he turned back. He managed to clock up 539 klms today. A great effort he sent me a text saying his bum was sore and numb so I think he had piles of fun lol :unsure::cool::LOL:(y

Water resources Ecoregion Map World Parallel
Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape Road surface
Tire Plant Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle
Tire Plant Automotive tire Wheel Sky
Cloud Sky Plant Rolling stock House
Cloud Sky Plant Tire Car
Plant Cloud Sky Building Tree
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Sky Cloud Wheel Car
Automotive parking light Cloud Sky Car Tire

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
60 Posts
I was please with the condition of universal joint when I did mine at 100,000Km.
After a quick clean of the splines and boot, it was time for grease and reassembly.
As good as new! (Actually, maybe better, since you now KNOW that your drive shaft gears have been properly lubricated, versus the apparent hap hazard job coming out of the factory.😏👍)

·
Registered
412 Posts
As good as new! (Actually, maybe better, since you now KNOW that your drive shaft gears have been properly lubricated, versus the apparent hap hazard job coming out of the factory.😏👍)
If you get a chance to look up some photos of Marks bike the itself looks new and full credit to him to keep it in top condition as he does. Plus he said if I said this he would send me enough money to buy a brand new 2021 R1250RT with Top Case and free rego lol :cool:;):unsure::geek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
60 Posts
I had a wonderful day today on my ride and got to meet up with a mate from the K1600 forum again on the Oxley highway he came down to Stockman's creek rest stop on the Oxley Highway NSW to meet me, we had lunch at Walcha Road Hotel it was overused with 3 other customers my mate along with myself overflowing that number to a massive 5 customers. All in all a massive day ride average temp was from 5c to 23 c very winding and cold on the Tablelands and Liverpool ranges on the way home. The countryside was so green from all the rain we have had over the last 2 weeks. I just managed 760klms in 9 hours and 3 mins ridings. The boy racers that normally race uop and won from Oxley from Wuachope to Gingers Creek were only in small numbers on the Oxley Highway, which may have also been due to the cold and windy conditions. I think with may mate, Paul coming from to meet me from Armidale, then after lunch we cntinued to ride westaward down towards Australias Country Music town and the south along the New England highway to Wallabadah, just before Willow Tree before my mate leaving me to retun home so he turned back. He managed to clock up 539 klms today. A great effort he sent me a text saying his bum was sore and numb so I think he had piles of fun lol :unsure::cool::LOL:(y
Sounds like a great time was had by all. Thanks for sharing with us, Geoff!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sounds like a great time was had by all. Thanks for sharing with us, Geoff!
It was a great day Scott and we are so blessed with a great country and so many great roads to ride on. Thanks again, I just love sharing what each and every one of us like when it comes to riding our bikes. Always something in the world that may interest someone.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Took my wife to breakfast in Everlgades City and a really fine dining experience at a gas station / bait shop there. Gotta say, it is some of the best food you'll wrap your lips around... We then rode out to the Seminole Reservation and back to Naples through the swamps, pasture and farms. I didn't notice the mileage but maybe 200.

I recently installed a BOS end can that I bought from a member and this was the first time I got to enjoy it. It has an adjustable internal flap for the secondary outlet that allows you to adjust from closed, which is actually quieter than the stock can to full open which is only slightly louder. I don't notice any increase in exhaust sound when riding normally but you can hear the engine growl when you get on the throttle or pops when downshifting using the ProShift. All in all, I really like it. :)

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Sky Land vehicle

Recipe Font Cuisine Dish Menu

·
Registered
412 Posts
I am thinking of selling both my bike and car, but know if I do this I won't be buying another bike again. It is something I need to give a lot of thought to before I jump into that. I will miss both the car and bike if I do this, so really need to think it through for a while before I make the final decision. The good part is I don't own any money and there is no need to rush so can hold off for the price I want. The thought in the back of my head is that the bike gives me so much pleasure and the ability to get away from being a full-time carer with the pressures of doing that even if it is only a day at a time. If I do this I will let you guys know out of respect for so many great people I have met through this forum.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sounds like some really difficult decisions to make. I've been there, done that and have the T-shirt to prove it on bikes, cars boats and other toys. For me, sometimes it works and sometimes I'm shopping for a replacement in a few months. Whatever you need to do, I hope you will stay on board here as I enjoy your perspective and pics.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sounds like some really difficult decisions to make. I've been there, done that and have the T-shirt to prove it on bikes, cars boats and other toys. For me, sometimes it works and sometimes I'm shopping for a replacement in a few months. Whatever you need to do, I hope you will stay on board here as I enjoy your perspective and pics.
Thanks so much, this will be a hard thing to do if I go ahead with it, but if I do sell I have to accept that it will need to be my last bike and no more to come. That's the hard part as I no longer work being retired you look at things in different ways. Anyway, I have a way to go before I do anything, I just need to be comfortable with whatever I do, knowing so well I would miss my bike more than the car. Time will tell I am sure.

Reactions: LAF

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
60 Posts
Thanks so much, this will be a hard thing to do if I go ahead with it, but if I do sell I have to accept that it will need to be my last bike and no more to come. That's the hard part as I no longer work being retired you look at things in different ways. Anyway, I have a way to go before I do anything, I just need to be comfortable with whatever I do, knowing so well I would miss my bike more than the car. Time will tell I am sure.
Well, when I built my retirement house in 2015, we came up a little short, so my "year off from work" became more or less permanent retirement, I sold off my new Diesel pickup to raise cash for finishings, and did all the finish work myself. (In fact, I just bought $6000 in materials to wrap the house foundation in stone last summer, delivered late, so finishing that project in the spring after the freeze breaks, is my ticket to riding my new bike; the "incentive plan" 🤣) We just broke even this year, paid off all the short term debt, and I went into hock (and a much lower interest rate) for my new BMW, which I expect to pay off in about six months. So, career and financially, things have sort of gone off the rails, but my first major goal (reducing my cost of living by at last 60%), worked out well. We can (probably) live on the retirement income we projected (if Biden's inflation doesn't kill us).

Main point is, I had a choice of trying to replace the pick up (probably used, anywhere from $40K USD on up), or buying the BMW. I reasoned that even if I only use it 7 months a year, every mile I ride on the Beemer will be more fun than in a truck, even though, I really miss my truck. Compared to the truck's cost, it made the decision to buy the BMW easy.

I don't know how we compare in our financial situations, age, or health, but it isn't going to get easier to ride as you get older. I've known a couple of riders who rode, and rode well into their 80's. I'm not sure age 70 is guaranteed to me. So, if my bad ankle is manageable via therapy and diet, I'll try riding the new beast, and we'll see how long we are in for this game. At age 66, "waiting a few years" is foolhardy. The future is now, as long as I don't $blow$ what future I have on too many toys.

Tough decision you have, but I think you can't go wrong with keeping the Beemer, if you can afford to. I hear Australia is a pretty big "little island". You should find a couple more good rides out there, no? 🤣 Just think, when your bored, or you need to just get away from the daily grind, go outside, take the drip charger off your steed, fire her up, and GOOooo!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I gave up a CLS400 for my RT and haven’t looked back. :)

Wishing you the best, Geoff. Whichever way you choose, judging by how you care for your bike, I’m confident that your decision will have been carefully measured and considered.
Thanks so much and as you say it needs to be considered but my car is now 6 years old along with a good service record so being next to no new cars coming into the country since covid the second-hand market is the best it will ever be for resale values. I am looking at a new car with enough room to put a small electric wheelchair in the booth or trunk as you guys call them lol. I am a full-time carer so need a car more than the bike. The hardest thing is the bike allows me my head space but being retired I can have a new car without selling the bike. So I need to work out if I can live without the bike. There is at least a 5 to the 8-month waiting list on new cars here in Oz at the moment thanks to Covid and no shipping into the country or lack of chips out of Taiwan who makes most if not all the computer chips for cars these days.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I am about to sell the bike this week so won't be owning another one ever again. Thanks to all the great members on this forum that I have had the privilege of getting to know. I will miss the bike, I have also traded my Genesis as I am updating my car to a new one and the bike needs to go to help finance the deal to enable cash payment.
I need a car more than the bike as it allows me to transport my mates wheel chair around to appointments etc.

Please ride safe guys and look after your self and your families ,wishing you all a merry Christmas and happy new Year.

Kind regards
Geoff

·
Premium Member
5,890 Posts
Very sorry to hear that Geoff, and the very best of luck to you!

Reactions: Geoff c
641 - 660 of 682 Posts