BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
621 - 640 of 682 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would ditch New England highway. From Walcha head across to Nundle and have a (great) pie for lunch.
Then head down Thunderbolts way to Gloucester. Much more fun and less highway traffic.
And did I say...then Nundle pies are great :)
You would not like Thunderbolts way at the moment they are doing up some parts of the road and the water truck makes it very interesting along with the cement base and gravel. I was up there about a month ago and this was the result of my bike, which took 3 days to clean it off and get the bike respectable again. The bottom photo was after 3 days of cleaning the crap off the engine. :(;)(y) Plus I am meeting a mate from Armidale, his coming along to meet at the 100k zone on the top of the Oxley then riding down to Wilow tree before he returns to Armidale.
:unsure::(
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Vehicle Automotive tire
Hood Automotive tire Toy Vehicle Bumper
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

• Angry
Reactions: LAF and Trilergy

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have never ridden it, just read this: Melting Oxley Highway to be inspected - Motorbike Writer The guy has a few more articles about that highway if you search the name...
Most of our roads tend to melt with our heat during summer but honestly, the Oxley is a great bike road but you need to respect the road and conditions. If you ever get a chance to ride it you will love it. Thunderbolts Way is another great road to ride on but like all of the roads are never fun when they are working on them and using water carts to keep the dust down.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I am thinking that I should have a go at servicing my drive shaft in the next week or two. I have seen it done on you tube ,I have all the correct tools so I am expecting that it should not take me any more than about 50 mins max taking my time. I have never attempted this before so was wondering if you have done it is there anything that I should look out for, or use a particular brand of oil or grease you think would be best?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #626 ·
Geoff,
Recommended viewing...
Boxflyer's YouTube Channel
It's primary focus is covering the 2016 R1200RTW doing routine and scheduled maintenance, as well as upgrades, modifications and areas of interest.

Part 2, link from Chris On the Street will provide the info for the Final Drive.

Mark

·
Registered
412 Posts
Products for the FD service.
View attachment 176008
Hi Mark,
The products you have recommended is what I was thinking also ,I have looked at a few you tube videos and sure I could do it without to much of a issue in around 45 mins. Given my bike has always had BMW services and around 25,000klms I'm sure there should be next to no issues like rust etc.

Thanks again for your fast reply.
Geoff

·
Registered
148 Posts
Make sure you check the rubber boot for holes or tears. The 2 tricky parts are dropping the final drive and putting it back. When dropping it you need to rotate the drive shaft (use the brake rotor) to get the universal joint in the right direction so the splines can drop free from the shaft. The hardest part is putting it back and getting the shaft back on splines (watch the videos). What works well for me is using a floor jack to hold the rear drive up till it just touches the shaft and then moving shaft and splines on rear drive till it goes on. Then before jacking it the rest of the way make sure the rubber boot is fully seated on both ends.

Reactions: Geoff c

·
Registered
412 Posts
Make sure you check the rubber boot for holes or tears. The 2 tricky parts are dropping the final drive and putting it back. When dropping it you need to rotate the drive shaft (use the brake rotor) to get the universal joint in the right direction so the splines can drop free from the shaft. The hardest part is putting it back and getting the shaft back on splines (watch the videos). What works well for me is using a floor jack to hold the rear drive up till it just touches the shaft and then moving shaft and splines on rear drive till it goes on. Then before jacking it the rest of the way make sure the rubber boot is fully seated on both ends.
Thanks for that ,I know my bike is second hand when I bought it ,but it has been well serviced along with looked after and next to no milage ,It will have around 26,000 kms on after this Sunday coming as I'm doing a 770 Klm days ride. As for the rubber boots the look like new ,but that will be inspected. I want to do this correctly hence watched all the videos on it along with having the expert advise for forum members such as Mark and your self. Thanks for the head up.

·
Registered
2019 R1250rt
161 Posts
Made the switch to the new 2022 plated Triple Black (1st in Aus apparently).

Funny story...went to the dealer (Procycles St Peters NSW) 3 weeks ago to test ride the new TFT after the lockdowns finished. Expecting to probably place an order for some time next year (6-9mths waiting) I went for the ride. Felt a bit more open because of the new front setup.

By the time I got back dealer had checked wait times and informed me the boss had already ordered one when they were announced and it was on it's way. That was 3 weeks ago.

2 days ago I picked it up after a very quick setup by the dealers. They received it at one of their workshops about 45 mins away at 9am, and then they received it by 3pm at St Peters.

I rode out at 5pm to get ready for a 3 day trip that was prebooked after lockdown. (Thought I was going on my old bike up till 2pm.)

By 9pm I'd installed from my old bike...
  • Werks Quiet ride screen (needed to redrill the holes as the new setup is different, and can't get a new screen yet because of shipping issues)
  • Grip puppies
  • Handlebar risers (guninventor's version)
  • Sergeant seat
  • Top box
  • Samsung S9 dedicated phone with maps ready (done in Basecamp and import as gpx file)
Still my Denali setup and Ilium crashbars to go when I get back.

Then yesterday morning did Sydney to Batemans Bay via Royal Nat Park, Robertson, Kangaroo Valley, Nowra, Braidwood. (400kms)
Started raining after 40 minutes and continued all the way to Robertson. Interesting 30kms of dirt road along the way.
Loved the ride and feel anyway.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
412 Posts

Funny story...went to the dealer (Procycles St Peters NSW) 3 weeks ago to test ride the new TFT after the lockdowns finished. Expecting to probably place an order for some time next year (6-9mths waiting) I went for the ride. Felt a bit more open because of the new front setup.

By the time I got back dealer had checked wait times and informed me the boss had already ordered one when they were announced and it was on it's way. That was 3 weeks ago.

2 days ago I picked it up after a very quick setup by the dealers. They received it at one of their workshops about 45 mins away at 9am, and then they received it by 3pm at St Peters.

I rode out at 5pm to get ready for a 3 day trip that was prebooked after lockdown. (Thought I was going on my old bike up till 2pm.)

• Werks Quiet ride screen (needed to redrill the holes as the new setup is different, and can't get a new screen yet because of shipping issues)
  • Grip puppies
  • Sergeant seat
  • Top box
  • Samsung S9 dedicated phone with maps ready (done in Basecamp and import as gpx file)

Then yesterday morning did Sydney to Batemans Bay via Royal Nat Park, Robertson, Kangaroo Valley, Nowra, Braidwood. (400kms)
Started raining after 40 minutes and continued all the way to Robertson. Interesting 30kms of dirt road along the way.
View attachment 176011
Great story and congratulations on the new bike it looks nice. Funny my 2018 RT was the same Mars Red Sports as yours until I changed that to White. WE should have all the rain gone by Sunday so hope you get to experience riding in better weather from now on lol. Sounds as if the bike was delivered to Hornsby before taking it down to St Peters ,not that out really matters but more mechanics and room at the Hornsby shop I guess.
Anyway enjoy and be safe. Funny one more ride like the one you just mentioned and you will need the first service done lol.

·
Registered
BMW R1200RT, 2015
21 Posts

• Grip puppies
  • Sergeant seat
  • Top box

View attachment 176011
More pictures, please!!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Congrats on the new bike @Trilergy, very nice.

Are the Denalis lights or horn? The '21 on bikes have the best OEM horn in the motorcycle world. Just press the button ;) It scared the living shit out of me the first time and every time since :D
I agree the horn is now the same one they have used on all the K1600`s since 2017 it is one of the best OME horns on a bike I have ever found. Nice and loud without spending a lot of$$$ on after market ones.

·
Registered
2019 R1250rt
161 Posts
Congrats on the new bike @Trilergy, very nice.

Are the Denalis lights or horn? The '21 on bikes have the best OEM horn in the motorcycle world. Just press the button ;) It scared the living shit out of me the first time and every time since :D
Thanks.
I previously had DR2 on front and T3 Switchbacks front and rear and a Horn.
I agree on the horn, however today I thought it wasn't working properly when I had ear plugs in. I could feel a vibration but not the sound so much. I'm considering not replacing with the sound bomb anyway.
Ill still do all the lights. This bike came with the factory spots but they will come off when I instal the Ilium bars.

·
Registered
2019 R1250rt
161 Posts
Great story and congratulations on the new bike it looks nice. Funny my 2018 RT was the same Mars Red Sports as yours until I changed that to White. WE should have all the rain gone by Sunday so hope you get to experience riding in better weather from now on lol. Sounds as if the bike was delivered to Hornsby before taking it down to St Peters ,not that out really matters but more mechanics and room at the Hornsby shop I guess.
Anyway enjoy and be safe. Funny one more ride like the one you just mentioned and you will need the first service done lol.
Yes I believe they unpack all their bikes there because of space. St Peters still did the precheck though.
Did another 300 today so up to 700. Will definately be in for 1st service next week :)

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
60 Posts

• Grip puppies
  • Sergeant seat
  • Top box

View attachment 176011
I'm blessed with a new (to me) bike, so I shouldn't be. But, right now ...

P U R E........E N V Y!!!

It's the "good" kind, though. Very happy for you. You look good with the new bike! When I'm finally able to get out and ride next spring, maybe take some rides around Northern Idaho, Montana, and Washington state (USA, of course), that envy thingy will probably wear off. Right now, I've got to address my "farkling budget", which is gonna be pretty heavy (i.e. including new riding gear). You've got a great head start on yours.

Stay safe, Mark, and do some more interesting rides. You also know the old saying: If there are no pictures, then it didn't happen. Post some ride pix when you have the opportunity. (My budget includes a Go Pro and some other electronics to try capture rides, and share a bit. We'll see how that $$goes$$.)

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm blessed with a new (to me) bike, so I shouldn't be. But, right now ...

P U R E........E N V Y!!!

It's the "good" kind, though. Very happy for you. You look good with the new bike! When I'm finally able to get out and ride next spring, maybe take some rides around Northern Idaho, Montana, and Washington state (USA, of course), that envy thingy will probably wear off. Right now, I've got to address my "farkling budget", which is gonna be pretty heavy (i.e. including new riding gear). You've got a great head start on yours.

Stay safe, Mark, and do some more interesting rides. You also know the old saying: If there are no pictures, then it didn't happen. Post some ride pix when you have the opportunity. (My budget includes a Go Pro and some other electronics to try capture rides, and share a bit. We'll see how that $$goes$$.)
Scott, I am sure you won't get sick of riding the BMW they are great bike and do so much of everything like handing, speed, torque brake and so much more with so little effort. The only thing I would be making sure of before spending lots on accessories etc except riding gear ifs that all the service work is up to date and that includes the Drive shaft as BMW don't do it as a regular part of a service. Ask that it be taken out serviced ,such as new grease etc and then of course new diff oil no more than 180 ml. Some tend to over fill the diff for some reason. I have done some research of late in regards to the drive shaft and amazed me how many even near new bikes have used splines on the drive shaft.

621 - 640 of 682 Posts