BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
501 - 520 of 553 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
After the info that I got from this forum I ordered a few parts. Highway pegs are on the way.. I hope to receive them before the weekend of the 22nd. If the weather is good enough I plan to ride in the mountains of WVa that weekend.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
The Invisible Farkle

Concerned about scuffing to top surfaces of my pretty blue panniers whilst swinging my decrepit-but-titanium-reinforced leg over my bike when mounting, I set about to make a set of protective film appliqués.

Made a reference template, then fabricated a cutting template from 1/8-inch hardboard using a bandsaw and spindle sander. Thus I could cut out two "perfect" mirrored pieces of 3M adhesive paint protective film. Use a good utility knife with a fresh blade for the film cutting.

The film bits are applied to the tops of the panniers after misting the surfaces with a mixture of distilled water with a few drops of baby shampoo mixed in for lubricity. Another spray bottle with a mix of distilled water and some isopropyl alcohol is used to make strong, anchored adhesion points and for smooshing out (a technical term) any "fingers" that appear toward the edges when smoothing out the film.

There are many decent videos found on YouTube showing how its done in case you want to play along at home.

The end result looks great and is practically invisible. It has already saved my lovely new factory paint from the indignities of my boot heels and "lazy leg syndrome."
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Symmetry

Brown Road surface Grey Automotive tire Font

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood

Blue Hood Automotive lighting Azure Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Hood Blue Netbook Grille

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
The Invisible Farkle

Concerned about scuffing to top surfaces of my pretty blue panniers whilst swinging my decrepit-but-titanium-reinforced leg over my bike when mounting, I set about to make a set of protective film appliqués.

Made a reference template, then fabricated a cutting template from 1/8-inch hardboard using a bandsaw and spindle sander. Thus I could cut out two "perfect" mirrored pieces of 3M adhesive paint protective film. Use a good utility knife with a fresh blade for the film cutting.

The film bits are applied to the tops of the panniers after misting the surfaces with a mixture of distilled water with a few drops of baby shampoo mixed in for lubricity. Another spray bottle with a mix of distilled water and some isopropyl alcohol is used to make strong, anchored adhesion points and for smooshing out (a technical term) any "fingers" that appear toward the edges when smoothing out the film.

There are many decent videos found on YouTube showing how its done in case you want to play along at home.

The end result looks great and is practically invisible. It has already saved my lovely new factory paint from the indignities of my boot heels and "lazy leg syndrome." View attachment 175652
View attachment 175653
View attachment 175654
View attachment 175655
View attachment 175656
Well done!
Do you stand on the pegs and swing over or stand on the ground?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Both, but usually stand on the peg while swinging over…

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #507 ·
Looks very professional.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #508 ·
After reading a few of the battery replacement threads, I thought it was time to do a little preventative maintenance and actually check the age of my battery. I haven't had a battery issue however, I did not know the age of the installed battery after purchasing the bike in 2020. So with an excuse to tinker it was time to remove the battery, clean the area and decipher the code to determine the date on manufacture. Jun 2019, so it still has some life remaining.
Just required a reset of the instrument cluster date with the GS-911 and all was good.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas
Packing materials Shipping box Rectangle Packaging and labeling Carton
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Trunk Bumper

·
Registered
361 Posts
It has been quiet on here for the last few days, I trust the heavy rains and winds are being kind to you all and everyone is safe here on the east coast of Australia.

I am looking forward to catching up with 2 K1600 forum members for a relaxing lunch now we can all move around. They are meeting each other at Uralla then riding via Walcha down Thunderbolts Way to meet me at Gloucester as per the maps below. I am going via, Morpeth, Paterson Dungog to Gloucester. Once we have lunch we may continue on a bit as the weather is going to be kind at 25 c depending on their plans as I don't know what they have planned for the return home.

I don't mind doing a few more km`s one-ways or the other before heading home. I hope the rest of you guys can get out to enjoy the freedom we all have been craving for so long, especially the poor Victorian`s who have broken the world's longest lockdown in history. Take care guys & please be safe. I will post a few photos of tomorrow`s meet if I can once I get home and wash the bike before it goes to bed.
Had a great ride today ,pulled up at my first coffee stop then as I looked up a guy that bought my last K1600GTL pulled up next to my bike. What are the chances of that ? Nice that he and his wife are enjoying the GTL.
Added some dirty pics including my old GTL and yes my bike this filth, to prove I do get it dirty so once I got home it took me 3 hours to clean it and now its almost back to near as clean as it was before the ride.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Window
Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Sky Vehicle
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #510 · (Edited)
Added some dirty pics including my old GTL and yes my bike this filth, to prove I do get it dirty so once I got home it took me 3 hours to clean it and now its almost back to near as clean as it was before the ride.
:eek: Oh the horror;)..

Dungog is a nice spot to stop on the way up to the Barrington Tops.(y)

I hope from this Thursday that we get no more, nil, zero, home detention lockdowns.
I'd like to be able to have family over for dinner. It's just on two years since my wife has seen her parents.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
521 Posts
It wasn't today, but last Sunday I worked on my 2014 RT. Due for the 36k items. Had dealer do the valve check and cam chain timing check a month ago. I did oil, filters, diff fluid changes. Ran into one issue with the right plug. Plus was hard to remove for the first half. After plug came out, there was some metal in the threads. I always use copper anti-seize on the plugs. So I was puzzled as to why this would have happened. About a quarter turn of the plug, in two rows, there was metal. And then it dawned on me. Plugs are clean. No copper paste found.

What I'm guessing is the dealer cleaned it off the old plugs and put them back in. If there was still some paste in the heads, and the dealer did BMW specs torque values, they may have over torqued it. I installed new plugs with copper anti-seize. I'm going to have to mention it to the dealer next time. I prefer the AS on all of my plugs. Don't want to get a bill for a new head if the threads get hosed. $1500 for a head alone, plus install.

But since I had the bike tore down pretty far, I installed the VIOFO MT1 dash cam. Only issue I ran into there was the remote didn't want to stick to the radio panel where I put it. I think my Turtle Wax soap with ceramic coat made it too slippery. I used some isopropyl alcohol to clean it and use my own velcro. That worked well.

Actually rode the bike today since it was nice enough. Overall, I like the app and its controls better than the Innov K2, I installed on the wife's bike. I transferred this 1 minute clip fairly quickly. The older INNOV, it's easier to just pop the card out and put it in the PC.

·
Registered
361 Posts
:eek: Oh the horror;)..

Dungog is a nice spot to stop on the way up to the Barrington Tops.(y)

I hope from this Thursday that we get no more, nil, zero, home detention lockdowns.
I'd like to be able to have family over for dinner. It's just on two years since my wife has seen her parents.
I am hearing you and you guys in Victoria have had the longest lockdowns in the world a record that is not great. I had enough after 2. 5 months and that was nothing. I think we all need to get the whole world moving agin as ships sitting off coast lines and no freight coming into a lot of countries is going to last for ages. Lock at America at the moment and we are west than that due to the distance and cost. I hope you and your family get to enjoy each others company this week, Mark. Good luck stay safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been adding Ilium accessories as the moto budget allows. I think I'm there. The bike had the risers when I got it and they are great. The first thing I added (besides the Bakup passenger backrest) was the passenger floorboards. Happy wife happy life. They really made a difference according to her. Then I added the crashbar in anticipation of highway pegs a couple weeks back. This week I added some highway pegs that I bought from a fellow MOA member off the classifieds. They were for a K1600, but I figured I could make them work.

Here they are deployed -

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

And here they are stowed -

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

I'm tall so I need the extra legroom by putting them out front. The mount was originally longer but I cut it back. I could have left it 2 inches longer and probably been even more comfortable, but it look pretty hideous, so I chose not to. That and I was worried about cornering clearance. The way it is it's very comfortable. My knees are just below the cutout on the tank, so it works. At first glance it looks like they are angled too far back to be of use. But in application it works very well. My feet are very secure on the pegs and the angle seems to hold my feet in, vs sliding off with the wind at speed.

Ilium isn't cheap, but it is certainly of high quality.

·
Registered
38 Posts
After getting home from a vacation trip on the wing, rode 1300 miles, I got the Rt out give it a wash and looked it over closer than I have since I got it in April. Then ask my wife if she wanted to go for a ride. She said ,so 1300 miles isn’t enough.lol took out for about a hour ride. I received a new bike cover today so covered it up after it cooled off. Bike now has 23,000 miles on it so I have put less than a 1000 mile on this summer. The bike had a zomo 550 with a Ram mount ,3 windshields, tank bag,extra lights on the front,areostich one piece riding suit,which fits me,a womans riding jacket and chaps that fit my wife, all the original paper work including bill of sale and 2 maintenance DVD’s that I just found in the owner manual. I am really liking this bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts
After getting home from a vacation trip on the wing, rode 1300 miles, I got the Rt out give it a wash and looked it over closer than I have since I got it in April. Then ask my wife if she wanted to go for a ride. She said ,so 1300 miles isn’t enough.lol took out for about a hour ride. I received a new bike cover today so covered it up after it cooled off. Bike now has 23,000 miles on it so I have put less than a 1000 mile on this summer. The bike had a zomo 550 with a Ram mount ,3 windshields, tank bag,extra lights on the front,areostich one piece riding suit,which fits me,a womans riding jacket and chaps that fit my wife, all the original paper work including bill of sale and 2 maintenance DVD’s that I just found in the owner manual. I am really liking this bike.
Glad you like it. For a minute there I thought you were listing it for sale with farkles and riding gear. LOL!

·
Registered
2019 R1250rt
114 Posts
Went to the dealer to ride the new 21 model. Havent been able to with lockdowns. Nice. Seems very clean compared to the 2019. Love the new TFT.
Before I went the dealer told me up to 9-12 months wait for a new one. I told him Id be interested in the new Triple Black which should be available by then.
BY the time I came back he had checked their back orders.
He informed me they had one on back order. They had ordered months ago. The good (bad??) news was it was on the boat and landing on the 28th October....2 weeks time!!
I wasn't ready for that.
So after a bit of negotiating looks like I'm upgrading...now!
Mine is 2019 model...38,000 kms (in 2 years). Hard part is Ill have to remove all the farkles and reinstal them on the new one.

Heres my list...
Werks quiet ride Screen
Sargeant Seat
Denali CanSmart (x2...piggy backs to drive all the accs)
Denali Soundbomb Horn
Denali T3 Switchback front lights
Denali T3 Switchback Rear lights
Denali D2 spots
OEM 49 lit Top Box
Brake light in Top Box
McCauley (GunInventor) Handlebar risers .
Gonna be busy.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive tire Triple black certainly looks good...

·
Registered
2019 R1250rt
114 Posts
Went to the dealer to ride the new 21 model. Havent been able to with lockdowns. Nice. Seems very clean compared to the 2019. Love the new TFT.
Before I went the dealer told me up to 9-12 months wait for a new one. I told him Id be interested in the new Triple Black which should be available by then.
He informed me they had one on back order. They had ordered months ago. The good (bad??) news was it was on the boat and landing on the 28th October....2 weeks time!!
I wasn't ready for that.
Mine is 2019 model...38,000 kms (in 2 years). Hard part is Ill have to remove all the farkles and reinstal them on the new one.

Heres my list...
Werks quiet ride Screen
Sargeant Seat
Denali Soundbomb Horn
Denali D2 spots
OEM 49 lit Top Box
Brake light in Top Box
Gonna be busy.

View attachment 175730 Triple black certainly looks good...
and ps...just got Garmin to replace the NavVI which was ghosting again...3rd replacement but the new model seems to have been fixed.
and pss..also ordered the Ilium Crash bar system. Be a clean instal on the new bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wasn't ready for that.

Heres my list...
Werks quiet ride Screen
Sargeant Seat
Denali Soundbomb Horn
Denali D2 spots
OEM 49 lit Top Box
Brake light in Top Box
Gonna be busy.

Congrats on your new bike coming. Tell me about the McCauley handlebar risers. I have not heard of this brand and cannot find anything on the web about them. Are they similar to the illium? If you have a website for these would you mind listing it ?

Thanks
Mark T.

·
Registered
2019 R1250rt
114 Posts
Congrats on your new bike coming. Tell me about the McCauley handlebar risers. I have not heard of this brand and cannot find anything on the web about them. Are they similar to the illium? If you have a website for these would you mind listing it ?

Thanks
Mark T.
Hi Mark
I believe he is no longer making them. I liked them because they were black. Here is the YouTube listing ..

·
Registered
361 Posts
I wasn't ready for that.

Heres my list...
Werks quiet ride Screen
Sargeant Seat
Denali Soundbomb Horn
Denali D2 spots
OEM 49 lit Top Box
Brake light in Top Box
Gonna be busy.

Procycles??? would they be the guys as they are the largest dealership in Sydney other than BikeBiz.

501 - 520 of 553 Posts