BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
481 - 500 of 553 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I won't be doing anything until we hit 80% DD when have a little more freedom however, I'll keep you and Geoff in mind.. Once we have all the specs, reproducing it is very simple. Maitland is a nice spot, I lived in Greenhills for many years..
Cheers mate. Let me know when/if you decide to proceed.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I finally got around to adding my signature accessory to my bike...............
Do you find they burn down very quickly when you’re riding? I had to stop smoking a pipe when I bought my first bike. Didn’t have enough hands to fill it on the move and it tended to glow very red at top speed ;)

• Wow
Reactions: Geoff c

·
Registered
13 Posts
Spent the last day or so fitting the Wunderlich ERGO peg lowering kit.
The kit is well manufactured and includes everything needed with one exception (for me).
As per my normal process with the bike, I removed the required components and spent the first evening cleaning and painting :Dany areas that needed a touchup. Geoff, note step 1.;)
View attachment 175464 View attachment 175465
Then on to the install, with the process being very simple if you have a few tools in your kit.
View attachment 175466 View attachment 175467
After the initial install, I removed the pegs and modified the original springs to suit the new attachment. I did not like the end of the spring protruding towards your leg. Would it be a problem, don't know, but I didn't want to find out the hard way.
My only suggestion to Wunderlich for the kit, would be to include a longer selector rod as an option. The length limitation of the original is 123.5mm +/- 0.5mm. Placing the selector in the correct position for me, has the rod outside that limit. Without witness holes in the ball heads, I completely removed the rod to check the remaining thread length in each ball head. With 7mm remaining, I'm still sitting on the fence about getting a longer one made on a lathe. With the locknuts torqued, there is no lateral play. Time to fit the modified springs and head off for a ride.
View attachment 175468 View attachment 175469
I'm please with the result and happy with the purchase. It was nice to be out of lockdown and ride.
Looking forward to spending the day on the bike however, I feel the benefit already..
Cheers,
Mark
I had the same problem Mark, but I ended up getting a longer turnbuckle rod from the US from a mob called: Suburban Machinery. It was called shifter linkage extension (part # SLT1) for the RTW bikes. Shipping, handling & insurance for the SLT1 cost me $49.75 to Australia & it came with instructions. Expensive, but it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem Mark, but I ended up getting a longer turnbuckle rod from the US from a mob called: Suburban Machinery. It was called shifter linkage extension (part # SLT1) for the RTW bikes. Shipping, handling & insurance for the SLT1 cost me $49.75 to Australia & it came with instructions. Expensive, but it fixed the problem.
Will it fit a 2021 RT though Macca?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would suggest so - my bike is 2019 1250RT but if you email them they can confirm. I found them very helpful when I asked any questions:
** [email protected]
Although being on the short side myself, my problem was also my boot size being 47 - hence I needed the extra length to get my foot under the lever.

·
Registered
361 Posts
No difference on the range when it comes to the linkage and most parts from the R1200RT fit the R1250RT with some exceptions of screens depending on the brand of the screen.

Reactions: Bgm

·
Registered
2014 R1200RT LC
67 Posts
BobsBMW installed a pair of Road 5 GT’s on my ‘14 RT today. Always great to be in their dealership and enjoy the well-appointed and stocked showroom… and enjoy the company of an interesting and attentive crew. Heading home with the new shoes, I could easily feel the (improved) difference over the PR4’s they replaced. It was like another bike, though I was taking it easy (and on interstates coming home) with the initial scrub in. Can’t wait to get on some twisties this weekend around Shenandoah to see what they’re really like. Did I hear them described as neutral handling? Sounds like a good description.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a new pair of the 5 GTs on my 2015 recently. After my 4 day trip to the Twin Valley Rally in September, I have nothing but great results on the Blue Ridge mountain roads to report. They definitely feel more neutral than the 4 GTs I had before. I’m impressed with the handling in all conditions - dry and wet.

·
Registered
2014 R1200RT LC
67 Posts
250 miles today on my new R5GT’s including the top half of Shenandoah’s Skyline; truly felt like riding another bike. Now I’m really in love with my RT. :) My wife was riding passenger, trying out the new Triboseat… that was a success, too. The only downside today was my front pressure sensor started intermittently showing tire pressure as ‘- - -‘, until about 50 miles from home when the TPMS completely gave out and showed the front tire as red. Pulled over and checked manually and the pressure was fine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
Sounds like an awesome ride, did you take any photo's? Virginia is on my list of places to visit.:)

·
Registered
2014 R1200RT LC
67 Posts
No photos today, just riding. :) Hope you can make it here sometime, plenty of back roads and nice landscapes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Macca,
Thanks for the info. On a quick calculation, I'd say it would cost about $120 AUD delivered at their current price.
I'll keep that in mind, but may do something local.

Cheers,
Mark
I originally looked at extending the gear selector rod by using a threaded rod coupling/sleeve. There are plenty of these on ebay etc in assorted diameters & lengths that will do the job. I also found these at Bunnings, but they were to short.
Automotive lighting Font Automotive exhaust Tobacco Bumper
Automotive tire Rectangle Font Household hardware Auto part

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #495 ·
Nice idea and that could be an option. I'll have a chat with my metal machinist when I can get there and see what we can produce. (y)

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
250 miles today on my new R5GT’s including the top half of Shenandoah’s Skyline; truly felt like riding another bike. Now I’m really in love with my RT. :) My wife was riding passenger, trying out the new Triboseat… that was a success, too. The only downside today was my front pressure sensor started intermittently showing tire pressure as ‘- - -‘, until about 50 miles from home when the TPMS completely gave out and showed the front tire as red. Pulled over and checked manually and the pressure was fine.
Since you have a '14 RT, I strongly suspect that the battery in your TPM sensor inside the wheel had died! If you go to your dealer, they will replace the sensor and tell you that the battery is not replaceable. The replacement cost is fairly expensive, IMHO. However, if you are technically handy, you will find that you can replace the battery. There are several threads on how to do so in this forum, as well as several YouTube video. The other option is that there are some very inexpensive "Chinese" sensors that you can buy on eBay that people, in this forum, have used with great success. I doubt that your dealer will install those for you though.

Skyline Drive is very nice!! I rode the whole length plus the full Blue Ridge Parkway just this past September. Started in Virginia, and ended in Cherokee.

Sky Plant Helmet Cloud Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Reactions: Geoff c

·
Registered
2014 R1200RT LC
67 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions on the sensor. In fact, I’ve been reading the many threads on TPMS failures, and checked out the battery replacement videos. My options for any of the solutions, outside of the dealer, are limited as I have neither or the tools (at least to remove the tire from the rim). Someday, I’ll do my own wrenching, as I have a long history of doing my own car work, at least up until they turned into computers. I think, for this round at least, it’s going to be bcorrected with $$.

We’ve been up and down Skyline a number of times, but the first time on a bike. Looking forward to venturing further south to the Blue Ridge rides, perhaps as early as next spring. :) Meanwhile, I’m starting to shop for a GS/GSA with thoughts of BDR explorations… likely for the spring, as well.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
This weekend I just rode the RT and didn't fiddle with a thing. Asheville to the Barber Motorsports Festival outside of Birmingham. out Friday and back this morning. Some fantastic roads in Eastern TN and Western NC. 800 miles. The bike didn't miss a beat.
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
16 Posts
Rode it after its 24k mile service at Max BMW. They picked it up and dropped it off, cost 650 or so.
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape

this is after i has to turn it around as the road turned to dual track with wash outs and exposed ledge and rocks, classic VT class IV road

481 - 500 of 553 Posts