BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
461 - 480 of 553 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #461 · (Edited)
Spent the last day or so fitting the Wunderlich ERGO peg lowering kit.
The kit is well manufactured and includes everything needed with one exception (for me).
As per my normal process with the bike, I removed the required components and spent the first evening cleaning and painting :Dany areas that needed a touchup. Geoff, note step 1.;)
White Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive design Rim
Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle

Then on to the install, with the process being very simple if you have a few tools in your kit.
Tire Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Carbon

After the initial install, I removed the pegs and modified the original springs to suit the new attachment. I did not like the end of the spring protruding towards your leg. Would it be a problem, don't know, but I didn't want to find out the hard way.
My only suggestion to Wunderlich for the kit, would be to include a longer selector rod as an option. The length limitation of the original is 123.5mm +/- 0.5mm. Placing the selector in the correct position for me, has the rod outside that limit. Without witness holes in the ball heads, I completely removed the rod to check the remaining thread length in each ball head. With 7mm remaining, I'm still sitting on the fence about getting a longer one made on a lathe. With the locknuts torqued, there is no lateral play. Time to fit the modified springs and head off for a ride.
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel Automotive design

I'm please with the result and happy with the purchase. It was nice to be out of lockdown and ride.
Looking forward to spending the day on the bike however, I feel the benefit already..
Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
361 Posts
The kit is well manufactured and includes everything needed with one exception (for me).
As per my normal process with the bike, I removed the required components and spent the first evening cleaning and painting :Dany areas that needed a touchup. Geoff, note step 1.;)
View attachment 175464 View attachment 175465
Then on to the install, with the process being very simple if you have a few tools in your kit.
View attachment 175466 View attachment 175467
After the initial install, I removed the pegs and modified the original springs to suit the new attachment. I did not like the end of the spring protruding towards your leg. Would it be a problem, don't know, but I didn't want to find out the hard way.
My only suggestion to Wunderlich for the kit, would be to include a longer selector rod as an option. The length limitation of the original is 123.5mm +/- 0.5mm. Placing the selector in the correct position for me, has the rod outside that limit. Without witness holes in the ball heads, I completely removed the rod to check the remaining thread length in each ball head. With 7mm remaining, I'm still sitting on the fence about getting a longer one made on a lathe. With the locknuts torqued, there is no lateral play. Time to fit the modified springs and head off for a ride.
View attachment 175468 View attachment 175469
I'm please with the result and happy with the purchase. It was nice to be out of lockdown and ride.
Looking forward to spending the day on the bike however, I feel the benefit already..
Cheers,
Mark
Fantastic job Mark and well worth the extra waiting time to get them. I am around 165cm so think these would work out just right for me, especially if it brings your feet closer to the front of the bike.

Reactions: Aussie Mark

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mark,

Could you post a few photos from a little farther back showing the entire installation on each side?

Thanks, Paul
Paul, it is not that hard to go to the Wunderlich web page they have videos on just about all the installation processes of most of the stuff they sell. Not trying to be funny by mentioning this but the photos that Mark posted are excellent and give you a good idea of what was done. If you are handy with doing anything on a motorbike or car then you would be able to do most installations without any help, just but looking and thinking about doing some youtube research is an excellent way of finding most things. Remember there are so many people in the world that post a lot of material showing how or what they do, so Youtube is your friend.
Good luck I am sure you will find what you are looking for along with so much more.

Reactions: Aussie Mark

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
Paul,
Additional pics and video link.
A couple of points from the Wunderlich video.
Installation of the circlip at 5:20 is correct, yet shown in a different position at 8:33.
You can see the spring protruding from the attachment towards the riders leg 5:40.
While they show easy adjustment of the selector rod at 8:00, you need to be careful that there is a sufficient amount of threads remaining in the ball head.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle brake
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
361 Posts
We are still in lockdown restricted to our own local government area and only allowed to venture 5 km from your home. I was told by a friend that so many are at the local beaches and in the city of Newcastle so I thought I would take the bike around for a ride as I am sick of doing the right thing and double vaccinated. I still stayed in the LGA but managed to put 40 kms on the bike by visiting some of the local Newcastle attractions, including the harbourside as it is a working harbour with wheat silos shipping terminals, and historic old buildings etc. The Old Pump House at Carrington is still under restoration, ( I don't think I was supposed or allowed to ride up onto the front of that but such a wonderful old building I wanted a few pics in front of it.) Then around Newcastle beach areas before returning home. It was nice to get out even if it was no great distance.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Plant
Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Building
Cloud Sky Water Wheel Vehicle

Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle

Cloud Sky Building Tire Window

Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Fuel tank

·
Registered
361 Posts
Good shots Geoff. Do cars get out of your way with the white bike? Closest thing to a police bike without being one ;)
I have mostly had white bikes _ 2x Rt`s and 2 x GTL`s I love white and find that you do get a lot more respect on the road with the White bikes. I tend to see more cars moving to the left lane when I come up behind them lol :cool::unsure::rolleyes:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mark,

Thanks so much for the addition photos and the link to the video. They’re perfect for what I wanted them for - to take my iPad out to my bike and get a direct comparison to the stock setup for a very clear before and after condition. Sometimes a very specific request is just what was needed - I really appreciate your extra efforts on my part!

Also, your first-hand observation of the video timeline differences paints a very clear picture of your installation experience. Thanks again.

Paul

·
Registered
2014 R1200RT LC
67 Posts
150 mile loop this am on northern VA and western MD backroads (paved). Lots of dual sports (mainly beemers) and a few Harleys. Where are all the RTs??? Stopped in at Rocklands Farm for a bottle of wine on the homestretch. Beautiful riding weather and low traffic, most of which was around the pumpkin patches.
Plant Cloud Sky Building Property

·
Registered
361 Posts
Geoff,
are the carbon fiber tops on your panniers stock or aftermarket?
Stock but with the Shad top case you can have a variety of colours including the carbon fibre one I have. The best thing about the Shad is that you can leave it unlocked and still open the lid until you require it to be locked. I have not found any other aftermarket case that that can be done.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The best thing about the Shad is that you can leave it unlocked and still open the lid until you require it to be locked. I have not found any other aftermarket case that that can be done.
The BMW 28L can be unlocked and lid fully operational. Dunno about the bigger case tho...

·
Registered
361 Posts
The BMW 28L can be unlocked and lid fully operational. Dunno about the bigger case tho...
Agree all modern BMW cases can be left unlocked especially with central locking. However, note that I did say aftermarket cases like the Shad Top Case, not the OME cases. :sneaky:;)

Reactions: wayneosdias

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
View attachment 175464 View attachment 175465
View attachment 175466 View attachment 175467
View attachment 175468 View attachment 175469
Cheers,
Mark
Hi Mark, Im about to fit this kit to my bike and if your getting a rod lathed, I would like one as well. I’m in Maitland. Cheers, Mark

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi Mark, Im about to fit this kit to my bike and if your getting a rod lathed, I would like one as well. I’m in Maitland. Cheers, Mark
Mark could make a few $$$ if he can do them his self. I plan on buying the same kit for my RT in the near future and would be interested in buying one as well. but at the moment I have a few bills to get out of the way so that can wait. for now. With rego, insurance and court cost from my recent objection to a speeding offence back in may I have some catching up with finances to do. I am in Newcastle so not that far from you might be nice to catch up for coffee and a ride once we are out of lockdown if you like.
Cheers,
Geoff

Reactions: Bgm and Aussie Mark

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #479 ·
Im about to fit this kit to my bike and if your getting a rod lathed
I won't be doing anything until we hit 80% DD when have a little more freedom however, I'll keep you and Geoff in mind.. Once we have all the specs, reproducing it is very simple. Maitland is a nice spot, I lived in Greenhills for many years..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mark could make a few $$$ if he can do them his self. I plan on buying the same kit for my RT in the near future and would be interested in buying one as well. but at the moment I have a few bills to get out of the way so that can wait. for now. With rego, insurance and court cost from my recent objection to a speeding offence back in may I have some catching up with finances to do. I am in Newcastle so not that far from you might be nice to catch up for coffee and a ride once we are out of lockdown if you like.
Cheers,
Geoff
Love to catch up mate for a ride. I’ll keep in touch. Will be taking delivery of a 2021 sport next week.

461 - 480 of 553 Posts