BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
281 - 300 of 969 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
We are still in hard lockdown so what else can you do but get out into the sun?. I know my bike is an old 2018 with lots of build-up of dirt rust etc on the exhaust and catalytic convertor so I got into that with metal polish this morning along with polished the bike and the wheels as it had been about 3 weeks since I had the colour change. The paint needed a good hand polish. Killing 2 birds with one stone, I know the exhaust and cat. won't ever look like they did when the bike was new. After a little effort, they still have some pitting on them, but I am ok with the end result except for the cross-flow pipe still looks a bit rough.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Plant Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Automotive fuel system
Tire Plant Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
2014 R1200RT LC
94 Posts
We are still in hard lockdown so what else can you do but get out into the sun?. I know my bike is an old 2018 with lots of build-up of dirt rust etc on the exhaust and catalytic convertor so I got into that with metal polish this morning along with polished the bike and the wheels as it had been about 3 weeks since I had the colour change and the paint needed a good hand polish. Killing 2 birds with one stone I know the exhaust and cat. won't ever look like they did when new they still have some pitting on them, but I am ok with the end result except for the cross-flow pipe still looks a bit rough.
Nice work! What polish did you use?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nice work! What polish did you use?
Thanks, it looks like it has spots of muck under and over the engine lol, but that is from the buffing wheel, I used splattering some polish and material that will get to later today.
As for the polish on the paint and wheels, I used Mothers the chrome was a combination of 3 brands of Metal polish the better of the 3 was Solvol Autosol. I will have another go the pitting at a later date as it's hard work and I don't want to take all the chrome off the pipes.

Reactions: Aussie Mark

·
Registered
2014 R1200RT LC
94 Posts
Thanks, it looks like it has spots of muck under and over the engine lol but that is from the buffing wheel I used splattering some polish and will get to that later today.
As for the polish on the paint and wheels, I used Mothers the chrome was a combination of 3 brands of Metal polish the better of the 3 was Solvol Autosol. I will have another go the pitting at a later date as it's hard work and I don't want to take all the chrome off the pipes.
Thank you, time for some shopping. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Guys thanks you are all too kind. I have to remember my bike was second-hand when I would it and 3 years old although it only had 20,000 klms. on it when I purchased it. The bike was in great condition with all history and well-serviced by BMW Dealerships since new. I am anal when it comes to having my bikes and cars as close to new condition as I can so this will still be a work in progress.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
Very nice Geoff.. (y)(y)
We are back in lockdown, so time to clean the bike again :), if I can't ride. :mad:

I think I'm now reversing its age, as there are more hours logged on OCD cleaning V riding at the moment..
If we remain in lockdown it should be an MY19 in about 6 months.. :ROFLMAO:

I am anal when it comes to having my bikes and cars as close to new condition as I can so this will still be a work in progress.
Glad I'm not the only one.. ;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
At the OCD level it is worth taking off the exhaust. Amazing what accumulates under the rear muffler clamp:oops:..
View attachment 174868 View attachment 174869
Great effort Mark, wow it is new. I was thinking about doing the same to be able to get to the areas where my buff could not. I think you have convinced me to do that now, I have to wait until I can get to Super Cheap to buy some more Solvol Autosol. As for lockdown, I think we may be longer than we expected thanks to the A..hole protesters on the weekend. I am ok with everyone having an opinion but when it extends lockdowns and endangers others I am peeed off big time. They should be put on an island and allowed to fend for themselves the selfish so and so`s. I don't mind using the lockdown asa excuse to clean the bike but when idiots stuff it for all of us doing the right thing I am over it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Far from it Mark, I am guilty as charged too :D Nice polish job gents. Well done!

Since you guys are all locked up and buttoned down over there, I'm not going to rub in the 400 odd kilometre ride we did today with the better half ;)
Grrrrrrr . :cry::) Enjoy and have fun thanks for sharing that I think lol.

Reactions: The_real_hati

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
Since you guys are all locked up and buttoned down over there, I'm not going to rub in the 400 odd kilometre ride we did today with the better half ;)
:)(y)Enjoy it while you can and upload the pics from around Perth.. For the time being we will have to enjoy virtual rides.
Far from it Mark, I am guilty as charged too :D Nice polish job gents. Well done!
Sounds like we have a quorum of members. We may need to have weekly meetings.. ;)
My name is Mark and its been 1 day since I cleaned and completed the 3rd refueling stop checklist on my RT..

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not today but a couple of weeks ago - fitted my Innovv K3 system of front and rear cameras

(and yes - according to measurement there is room for the front suspension to bottom out should it ever do so)

Only slight snag is I won't be able to slide the pocket of the BMW soft bags onto the luggage tack.

281 - 300 of 969 Posts