BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
81 - 100 of 160 Posts

· Registered
1,501 Posts
Today didn't end up how I thought it would.
I think I actually get a perverse sense of fun doing little jobs like this. Started having trouble with my LCD and thought I should remove the dash to inspect it.
LT's are a bit like onions. Working on an LT is like peeling an onion. So many layers to get to what you need and at the end of the day they both make you cry.

White Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Purple

All I wanted was the dash and three hours later I had it.

· Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Just DO NOT TOUCH the inside of the clear cover with your fingers when you get it off there is a coating on there that will get trashed.

· Registered
1,501 Posts
It seems that every time I pull this bike down I find something that makes the journey worth the extra effort. I found that I had to remove the handlebars to remove the shroud around the dashboard.
In doing that I found that both handlebar clamps were only finger tight.
It's also the first time I have had the mirrors off. In the past I have always just left them on. They had been screwed on from inside and I found the reason for that was because the front clip point on the mirrors were both broken.

· Registered
28 Posts
It seems that every time I pull this bike down I find something that makes the journey worth the extra effort. I found that I had to remove the handlebars to remove the shroud around the dashboard.
In doing that I found that both handlebar clamps were only finger tight.
It's also the first time I have had the mirrors off. In the past I have always just left them on. They had been screwed on from inside and I found the reason for that was because the front clip point on the mirrors were both broken.
Thanks for the post Wazza - will make me check my handlebar clamps now ! A lot of previous owners indiscretions and modifications are evident when you lift the skirts on these old girls. Not to mention the techs not putting Tupperware back on properly, or destroying plastic tabs and leaving screws missing in the process - keeps you busy in the shed !

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Took a 100 mile first ride of the year and shakedown cruise for an upcoming trip to Big Bend, TX. It isn’t often that PA hits 74 degrees in March. The LT fired up as though it had run just yesterday and ran great. Changed oil upon return and a few more checks and a bath and it will be ready to head west next week.

2005 K1200LT
15,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Congrats on the new ride, looks good!

Reactions: sprk33

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
I just 2 and half hours and bought a used K1200LT an drove it back home. First ride was very pleasurable.
You should have ridden it home rather than driving it home. 😁

Reactions: sprk33

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Oh I don't know mate, I think these LT's are just cars missing two wheels. 😆
Years ago I read an article on this and the author made a fairly convincing argument using horse terminology that seemed logical to me. He explained that riding a horse means you are on the horse. Driving a horse means you are typically in a wagon, sleigh or skid behind it, although I think he said that walking alongside with the reins is still driving the horse. So, he argued that since we are on the motorcycle, we are riding it, not driving it. Made sense to me at least. 😁

Reactions: cratos and djmellor

· Premium Member
647 Posts
Fast1, are you trying to pull a "Fast1" on us? =-}

600 mile service! On a K1200LT?? A motorcycle that has been out of production for 10 years?!?

Thanks for sharing Fast1, but you got into the wrong forum for your RT.

2005 K1200LT
15,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
I'll move it over there for you.

Reactions: djmellor

· Registered
28 Posts
Hi all ! I'm in Redcliffe (just North of Brisbane) in Australia. Recently picked up this 03 with 67,000kms on it. Just finished stripping it, removed the alarm / immobiliser, CD stacker, GPS off Noah's Ark and the CD/radio in the stingray. Also topped up the rear shock oil and fully serviced the bike. This website and youtube has been so useful and helpful. So to all of the long term members of the forum a massive thanks ! I am missing a piece of trim on the RHS fairing - silver piece that is under the black 'bumper' guard. If anyone in AUS has a spare or knows where I can find one please let me know. Cheers - Shieldsy

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Helmet Automotive lighting White Motor vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
1,501 Posts
Hi all ! I'm in Redcliffe (just North of Brisbane) in Australia. Recently picked up this 03 with 67,000kms on it. Just finished stripping it, removed the alarm / immobiliser, CD stacker, GPS off Noah's Ark and the CD/radio in the stingray. Also topped up the rear shock oil and fully serviced the bike. This website and youtube has been so useful and helpful. So to all of the long term members of the forum a massive thanks ! I am missing a piece of trim on the RHS fairing - silver piece that is under the black 'bumper' guard. If anyone in AUS has a spare or knows where I can find one please let me know. Cheers - Shieldsy

View attachment 177601
View attachment 177602
Hi Shieldsy, nice looking 03. I live in Brisbane , we should get together some time.
I don't have a spare and actually my right side chrome piece is cracked. I can tell you that BMW at Breakfast Creek quoted me $248.30 ex Germany. The quote was from late last year so it me be different now but that should be close.

· Registered
28 Posts
Hi Shieldsy, nice looking 03. I live in Brisbane , we should get together some time.
I don't have a spare and actually my right side chrome piece is cracked. I can tell you that BMW at Breakfast Creek quoted me $248.30 ex Germany. The quote was from late last year so it me be different now but that should be close.
Thanks Wazza - I'll keep looking around the wreckers I think - a mate of mine is going to Germany in April - he's going to have a look over there for me too. And yes will have to catch up for a coffee up the mountain one day soon !

· Registered
1,438 Posts
Been off this forum for a few years, been tying to get the LT back on the road, she's been sitting on the lift for about 4 years. The gas went bad and so I sent out the injectors to be cleaned, got some Spegilars to install and do a complete brake flush. Put in new fork seals. Removed the radio so now I have a nice big glove box. When I removed the fuel pump today I realized it needed some attention so will be replacing all the filters, hoses and gasket to the tank. When she went on the lift the ABS pump was working fine never had any faults and the only reason it went there was it was in the way, so I am hoping the ABS pump is still in good shape. The LT only has about 30K on it and has a ton of extras so I am hoping to get it back on the road and enjoy it again. Now to get some parts ordered!

2005 K1200LT
15,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Good to see you back, I still use pics from your SmugMug account. Thanks

Reactions: dmatson
81 - 100 of 160 Posts