BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had over 2000 miles of rain on my last trip. I'm changing the final drive gear lube and it's obvious a little water got in through the vent.
2000 miles of rain!!! Best line I've read today! Hope it kept you a bit cooler

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,064 Posts
2000 miles of rain!!! Best line I've read today! Hope it kept you a bit cooler
I was on the road for nine days back in July 5,700 miles total. I got as far west as Chino Valley AZ several days temps were over 100 degrees. I had rain gear on 6 of the 9 days and it was hot with the rain gear on. I've never washed my rain gear but I did this time when I got home.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Last job for today is change the engine oil.
Amsoil, Dave? I thought you always used Mobil 1. Are there any advantages to using the Amsoil? Did you get it like you used to get Mobil 1? Some members on the K1600 site say it's the best there ever was. Knowing your engine background, I'm partial to your thoughts more than any other!

Reactions: pkpr1998

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Oil is oil the only difference is the marketing.

Reactions: Ridn3 and meese

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,064 Posts
Amsoil, Dave? I thought you always used Mobil 1. Are there any advantages to using the Amsoil? Did you get it like you used to get Mobil 1? Some members on the K1600 site say it's the best there ever was. Knowing your engine background, I'm partial to your thoughts more than any other!
I got the Amsoil for free and it is good oil.

·
Premium Member
7,794 Posts
I rode through Glacier National Park finally after failing on the first two tries. 2017 was stymied by wild fires. 2019 was stymied by snow. This time the weather was nearly perfect, other than a little chilly as we saw temps as low as 32 while riding the Going to the Sun road. We are now in West Yellowstone and hope to ride through the Grand Tetons tomorrow.
Cloud Sky Mountain Ecoregion Natural landscape

·
Registered
66 Posts
I rode through Glacier National Park...
One of my favorite places on the planet, and definitely my favorite National Park.

Reactions: Voyager

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Inspected front/rear brake pads by removal. With 20k on them, looks like the front have 3/4 and rear 7/8 left. Surprised me as I purchased new pads with the intent to replace.

Have fun,
Jer

·
Premium Member
7,794 Posts
One of my favorite places on the planet, and definitely my favorite National Park.
I agree. It doesn’t quite compare to the Swiss Alps and Italian Dolomites or even Jasper and Banff in Canada, but I’d probably rank it 3rd or maybe 4th on my list as the Colorado Rockies rate very highly also and are more expansive than GNP. A great place though and another bucket list item checked off.

·
Premium Member
7,794 Posts
Inspected front/rear brake pads by removal. With 20k on them, looks like the front have 3/4 and rear 7/8 left. Surprised me as I purchased new pads with the intent to replace.

Have fun,
Jer
When I had my LT inspected a few weeks ago, it had just rolled over 90,000 miles and the brakes still have at least 3/32 (probably 1/3 of new) and our state only requires 1/32 on motorcycles so I probably have another 20,000 miles in them.

Reactions: jers99lt

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just thought I would start a sticky to just see what is happening in the LT world.

Jean and I got out for a breakfast run and two hour ride in the Tennessee hills above Alabama. This is the first time we have been out since before my surgery on the left thumb July 13th. It felt really good to get out and ride again on the LT.

View attachment 175423
JZ: I had back surgery in April and have been off the bike until yesterday. Felt good to get it off the centre stand, but now have to work with balance. Anxious to ride

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
I no longer have a K1200LT, but I had 2 of them over several years and 180k miles. I sold my '09 a year ago this month to a good friend on this site; he is going to have it made into a trike. I still wish I had it. There is nothing like it on the road -- supremely comfortable, and enough power to do what you want to do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out my elec. Problem with my right turn signal stuck on and elec. Cntr stand not working. The switches tested good, so still looking for a short..just got back from 2 week vacation back home in Canada so had to take 4 wheels instead of 2 this year...

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,064 Posts
I love that color Dave, very classy. That front guard though, it's not an LT one is it?
The front mud guard broke & I replaced it with one from a R1150RT. The R1150 is one piece & flexible it won't break.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Purple Hood Electrical wiring

I have to adjust, or replace my cruise control cable this week... it is the step after checking the basic on/off function in steps 1-3. When I hit step 4. Rotate and close the throttle full-forward... the light does not come on.
Cheers!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Nice photos, Dave... what does the quarter in the brake reservoir do?
It is a stash for emergency phone calls. No it is to keep the little squirt that comes from the vent hole, when you pull the lever, inside the reservoir instead of all over your bike.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts