BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
I rode through Glacier National Park finally after failing on the first two tries. 2017 was stymied by wild fires. 2019 was stymied by snow. This time the weather was nearly perfect, other than a little chilly as we saw temps as low as 32 while riding the Going to the Sun road. We are now in West Yellowstone and hope to ride through the Grand Tetons tomorrow.
Cloud Sky Mountain Ecoregion Natural landscape

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
One of my favorite places on the planet, and definitely my favorite National Park.
I agree. It doesn’t quite compare to the Swiss Alps and Italian Dolomites or even Jasper and Banff in Canada, but I’d probably rank it 3rd or maybe 4th on my list as the Colorado Rockies rate very highly also and are more expansive than GNP. A great place though and another bucket list item checked off.

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Inspected front/rear brake pads by removal. With 20k on them, looks like the front have 3/4 and rear 7/8 left. Surprised me as I purchased new pads with the intent to replace.

Have fun,
Jer
When I had my LT inspected a few weeks ago, it had just rolled over 90,000 miles and the brakes still have at least 3/32 (probably 1/3 of new) and our state only requires 1/32 on motorcycles so I probably have another 20,000 miles in them.

Reactions: jers99lt

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
I'm still detailing the LT. Today I buffed the paint with two compounds and two different polishing pads. I also washed it with Dove dish soap. Tomorrow I'll put the paint sealer on it.
When can I drop mine off? 😁

Reactions: Troy F

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
I rolled my LT over 95,000 miles today somewhere between Kansas City and St. Louis. 478 miles of riding today. Longest riding day in a couple of years.

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
I washed off 5,600+ miles of road grit having just returned from a fantastic ride. Spent 18 days riding from PA to GNP (the 3rd time was the charm and we made it the full length of Going to the Sun), to Yellowstone, to the Grand Tetons, to SLC to visit a high school friend, to a great ride through Rocky Mountain National Park to Hays, KS to the RANS Aircraft open house, and then back home to PA. Had great weather, albeit a little cool at times, no significant LT issues other than mysterious coolant loss, and very little covid nonsense to deal with other than on the Blackfoot reservation in Montana. I’m now ready for winter and planning for next season’s rides.

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Put my '99 LT away for the season. Had a nice breakfast in a rural cafe. Temps in the lower 30's. Heated gear was tested in the NW 30+ mph winds. Rode into the back yard and slid her into the CycleShell. Have too many other plans in Dec to ride again.

Here's to next season! Cheers!!!
Jer
I was hoping to get one more ride to warm the bike well for an oil change, but with more than an inch of snow on the driveway and more on the way, it is looking less and less likely.

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Reactions: djmellor

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Took a 100 mile first ride of the year and shakedown cruise for an upcoming trip to Big Bend, TX. It isn’t often that PA hits 74 degrees in March. The LT fired up as though it had run just yesterday and ran great. Changed oil upon return and a few more checks and a bath and it will be ready to head west next week.

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
I just 2 and half hours and bought a used K1200LT an drove it back home. First ride was very pleasurable.
You should have ridden it home rather than driving it home. 😁

Reactions: sprk33

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Oh I don't know mate, I think these LT's are just cars missing two wheels. 😆
Years ago I read an article on this and the author made a fairly convincing argument using horse terminology that seemed logical to me. He explained that riding a horse means you are on the horse. Driving a horse means you are typically in a wagon, sleigh or skid behind it, although I think he said that walking alongside with the reins is still driving the horse. So, he argued that since we are on the motorcycle, we are riding it, not driving it. Made sense to me at least. 😁

Reactions: cratos and djmellor

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Took a 100 mile first ride of the year and shakedown cruise for an upcoming trip to Big Bend, TX. It isn’t often that PA hits 74 degrees in March. The LT fired up as though it had run just yesterday and ran great. Changed oil upon return and a few more checks and a bath and it will be ready to head west next week.
Well, my LT ride to Big Bend didn’t happen, but I will give details in a separate post and not clutter this thread.

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Had my first ride ABS-less the other day.Worked fine.I'm sure I'll have to pay a bit more attention in the rain after riding the Wing with linked ABS for years.Pretty sure I can handle it.
99+% of the time ABS is just added weight. However, those few times you need it, you really need it and there is no substitute. No human can react as fast as ABS.

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Today was ghetto mod # 8,569. :p I'm probably the ONLY guy in LT land that has resisted mounting my phone in some fashion, but bluetooth music on my new Schuberth C5 is finally my motivator. But how... :(

Well, there's company called Rokform that builds robust cases for smart phones along with interesting mounting options. I already had one of their windshield suction cup mounts - and surprisingly - it has held up very well over the past couple of years. The only issue is that it needs a flat and smooth surface to hold tight, and those are hard to find on the LT. But wait! The polycarbonate "lens" covering the instruments is flat! ...and the suction cup fit right in the middle near the top with minimal intrusion covering only a small portion of the speedo and tach. Problem number 1 solved. (I also liked that the "lens" is somewhat flexible, adding some spring to the mount and helping to dissipate hard shocks to the phone)

Next up was a way to supply power to the phone so I could keep it on all the time and the screen brightness turned up to max, allowing me to easily touch the mute button or select different tracks. I could have run an external power cord from the 12V outlet located on the lower portion of the fairing - but that would have been awkward and besides I HATE power cords just dangling. Always an accident waiting to happen.

Luckily there's power to the dash light - that I swear I've never actually used in over 20 years of LT ownership. It pops out easily with a light prying motion in the slot on the left side. All I would need is a couple of blue taps to splice into it for a positive and negative lead for the: Dual outlet Bluetooth panel mount! :D ...but once again where to find a flat spot to mount it? Right next to the dash light!

There's just BARELY enough clearance to mount it here since it needs a lot of depth, and with a little gentle bending of the positive and negative posts on the end it will fit. CAUTION: Locate the spot you're going to drill with the hole saw VERY carefully. You're only going to get once chance to do this once without messing up! You're going to have to locate the hole VERY close to the light housing cutout in order to allow the panel mount to extend up into the "bulge" area of the dash. I used a 1 and 1/4" hole saw since that's what I had on hand, but would have preferred one a little bit smaller. 1" wont work since the diameter of the USB outlet is about 1.13 inches. 1 and 1/8" inch should be perfect.

Once the hole is drilled the rest is easy assembly. Oh yeah, you'll need to buy a cheapo angle drill attachment ($20.00 on Amazon) in order to drill the hole.

I used a 9" angled and flat cord from the USB outlet to the phone for a tidy look. Hopefully the following pictures are self explanatory, but if you have any questions let me know.
Now I’m the only one. And I will never mount a phone on a motorcycle. It stays in a holster on my belt where it belongs and hopefully stays there should I crash and need to call for help and my bike has slide 100 feet farther down the road. 😁

Reactions: kbob12

· Premium Member
8,156 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts