BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
It seems that every time I pull this bike down I find something that makes the journey worth the extra effort. I found that I had to remove the handlebars to remove the shroud around the dashboard.
In doing that I found that both handlebar clamps were only finger tight.
It's also the first time I have had the mirrors off. In the past I have always just left them on. They had been screwed on from inside and I found the reason for that was because the front clip point on the mirrors were both broken.
Thanks for the post Wazza - will make me check my handlebar clamps now ! A lot of previous owners indiscretions and modifications are evident when you lift the skirts on these old girls. Not to mention the techs not putting Tupperware back on properly, or destroying plastic tabs and leaving screws missing in the process - keeps you busy in the shed !

· Registered
28 Posts
Hi all ! I'm in Redcliffe (just North of Brisbane) in Australia. Recently picked up this 03 with 67,000kms on it. Just finished stripping it, removed the alarm / immobiliser, CD stacker, GPS off Noah's Ark and the CD/radio in the stingray. Also topped up the rear shock oil and fully serviced the bike. This website and youtube has been so useful and helpful. So to all of the long term members of the forum a massive thanks ! I am missing a piece of trim on the RHS fairing - silver piece that is under the black 'bumper' guard. If anyone in AUS has a spare or knows where I can find one please let me know. Cheers - Shieldsy

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Helmet Automotive lighting White Motor vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
28 Posts
Hi Shieldsy, nice looking 03. I live in Brisbane , we should get together some time.
I don't have a spare and actually my right side chrome piece is cracked. I can tell you that BMW at Breakfast Creek quoted me $248.30 ex Germany. The quote was from late last year so it me be different now but that should be close.
Thanks Wazza - I'll keep looking around the wreckers I think - a mate of mine is going to Germany in April - he's going to have a look over there for me too. And yes will have to catch up for a coffee up the mountain one day soon !

· Registered
28 Posts
OMG !! - clutch flush and new fluid - completely different bike - can't believe what a difference that has made to the clutch operation - I don't think it had ever been done before. Also took the time to disassemble, clean and grease the gear shift linkage - again never been touched in the life of the motorcycle. Thanks to this forum and youtube this bike is coming back to it's former glory and correct operation ! New Wilbers shock for the rear due this week.

· Registered
28 Posts
Got some goodridge brake lines from Motorworks in the UK. Only took a week to arrive down here in Australia with fedex. Installation was straightforward with all required hardware. Took me about 8 hours but that was with coffee breaks, lunch and a few work calls and emails. My 2003 had original BMW brake lines fitted. Out of interest I cut one in half - doesn’t look too good !

Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Bumper Rim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts