BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After giving the LT her yearly bath, the radio turn on all by itself. I was on the other side of the yard putting the hose away when I heard static coming from the LT's speakers. The bike was off and the radio was not turned on. Yet, loud static was coming from the speakers. I turn the key to the off/lock position and it stopped for a minute or two but then it turned itself on again!

I pulled the radio fuse thinking that will cut power to the unit but I fogot that the radio pulls from several different circuits so it had no effect. I started the bike and fiddled with the radio- still all static from the speakers. Finally, I pulled the neg. terminal from the battery. That killed the noise.

My thinking is that water got into the radio controller's electronics. Hopefully, it will dry out overnight and it will be fine in the AM. Otherwise, I may have to strip the plastic and replace the controller. Luckily for me, I picked up a whole new dash unit on Ebay last month with and extra controller.

Either way- now I'm nervous about my ride to the STC this week.

Okay LT Gurus, am I on the right track?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,099 Posts
Rob,

Sounds like the right thing to do. Usually the rubber around the buttons craps out and that lets water in. It has the same path to dry out so it may be a slow process. also the battery disconnect may just rest the glitch that the water caused in the first place. If nothing else we can pull her off at STC and dry her out proper.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just tried the LT again. Same problem. Luckily for me I happen to have a spare radio controller at my disposal.

No need to waste 3 hours at STC, I'll bang it out today! Thanks for the offer!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,169 Posts
Rob, I think Ken Meese and I would agree that you should not give your LT a bath...:b2topic:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI, 2.5 hours to strip the plastic, change out the controller and reinstall everything.

Yes, there was water on the backside of the unit. My guess is that I soaked it while washing it.

NICE! STC, Here I come!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
RVB1019 said:
FYI, 2.5 hours to strip the plastic, change out the controller and reinstall everything.

Yes, there was water on the backside of the unit. My guess is that I soaked it while washing it.

NICE! STC, Here I come!!!!!!!!!!
There goes the neighborhood. :p :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts