BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it necessary to replace the pressure plate, housing cover and diaphragm spring when replacing friction plate? This is on my 05 LT with 45k. The transmission input seal was leaking. I do intend to replace crank main, both tranny seals and the slave.
Question 2: the lower slave hose feels "crunchy" when I bend it - as if it is rusted. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
sanfordgentry said:
Is it necessary to replace the pressure plate, housing cover and diaphragm spring when replacing friction plate?
Yes.

sanfordgentry said:
Question 2: the lower slave hose feels "crunchy" when I bend it - as if it is rusted. Is this normal?
Never heard of that before. Don't bend it... :D

I sourced my parts from Bentonville BMW, in Bentonville, AR. Parts list attaced (including rear main seal of engine). Note this was an '01 LT; parts are virtually the same, I believe, but the parts person can set you straight. Prices are from two years ago.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
The spring is OK. Check the surfaces of the housing cover (acts like a conventional flywheel)and pressure plate. Any heat marks or cracks in the friction surfaces - replace. Otherwise re-use.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
jzeiler said:
The spring is OK. Check the surfaces of the housing cover (acts like a conventional flywheel)and pressure plate. Any heat marks or cracks in the friction surfaces - replace. Otherwise re-use.
+1 - I've replaced a few clutches - never had to change housing/flywheel or pressure plate

·
Registered
493 Posts
sanfordgentry said:
The transmission input seal was leaking.
Since you know the cause of the failure and you have low miles, it would be safe to not replace the pressure plate but inspect not only the friction surface, but the springs as well for heat discoloration that could weaken the holding force. I would replace if there was any question.

sanfordgentry said:
Mine was the same way and I replaced it. I think it is very common, at least from what I remember from the postings I read while replacing my clutch.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
dglenn1 said:
...Mine was the same way and I replaced it. I think it is very common, at least from what I remember from the postings I read while replacing my clutch.

Good luck!
While it might be common on this application, no rubber hose should sound "crunchy" when flexed, and therefore, not normal. Most hydraulically applied clutches will use brake fluid, though this might not be the manufacturer's preferred choice of fluids. brake fluid will draw moisture out of the air, and this moisture will tend to corrode the metal parts in the hydraulic system. Given enough time, the corrosion breaks loose, mixing w/ the fluid and/or depositing in the lines. Another possibility is if the hydraulic hose has an inner liner, usually made from some sort of plastic. If this breaks down, maybe from being crimped, it could be the source of your noise. One last possibility and most likely is the hose is so old and dry-rotted, thereby disintegrating more each time it's being bent/folded. Regardless the reason, you'll want to replace it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
bikerj said:
While it might be common on this application, no rubber hose should sound "crunchy" when flexed, and therefore, not normal
Guess I should have been more precise. I meant common as in common failure, not common as in normal. If I thought it was normal, I wouldn't have replaced it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the replies. Last night I carefully cleaned the plates. The larger 'housing cover' had small radial cracks so I intend to replace both plates. The lower hose feels just like you were bending a old rusted brake line. As a clutch leak could ruin a trip, I will replace this also. When finished I will cut it apart and give update.

SIDE NOTE I tried to order from Motorworks in UK and they responded: "Very sorry but unfortunately due to liability insurance restrictions we are unable to send orders to the USA or Canada, or even elsewhere when purchased with a card that is registered in the USA or Canada.

Regards
Sales Department
www.motorworks.co.uk"

·
Registered
530 Posts
Here are a couple of additional references:

link

and here

Good Luck! :wave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update. I purchased parts in Indy yesterday with a little discount on large items then later got an email from Bentonville BMW that would have saved me $150.
Side note, lower clutch line: none in warehouse, none on the shelf at Bob's, Max's, Chattanooga, or Blue Moon. Guy at Blue Moon says none showing in Germany. So I don't need this part or there has been a run on them.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
sanfordgentry said:
Update. I purchased parts in Indy yesterday with a little discount on large items then later got an email from Bentonville BMW that would have saved me $150.
Side note, lower clutch line: none in warehouse, none on the shelf at Bob's, Max's, Chattanooga, or Blue Moon. Guy at Blue Moon says none showing in Germany. So I don't need this part or there has been a run on them.

If you strike out finding a new one, then try taking the original one to a hose shop and have them make you a replacement. It should be fairly easy, as long as they have the right fittings. They usually can do it while you wait. Could be significantly cheaper this way. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts