BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 LT - It was running a little rough this morning, and when I got to the highway, it wouldn't go over 70 MPH. I took it to Bob's BMW (Thanks for taking me right in) and they diagnosed it as a "fouled plug." They put in a new one and it's running fine again. Any ideas what could have caused that? Should I be worried?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
Too many things can cause this. If it does not return quickly then don't worry. Oil contamination, chunks of carbon, plug wire breaking down, age ...the list goes on.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
When were the plugs last changed?
If one failed, others may too...

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Keeping the RPM's low will eventually cause a fouled plug...Could the problem be your riding style ? Just wondering....

If you're not winding it up on a regular basis.. That could be all you need to do...

These bikes need to be spun up... They like it..

Ride it like you stole it..

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zippy_gg said:
When were the plugs last changed?
If one failed, others may too...
It just had the 48,000 service, but that was before I bought it so I'm not sure if the plugs were changed. I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JPSpen said:
Keeping the RPM's low will eventually cause a fouled plug...Could the problem be your riding style ? Just wondering....

If you're not winding it up on a regular basis.. That could be all you need to do...

These bikes need to be spun up... They like it..

Ride it like you stole it..

John
Thanks for the tip. I'm coming off of cruisers so it's posible I'm not winding it up often enough. That's an easy fix though!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
lfmn16 said:
Thanks for the tip. I'm coming off of cruisers so it's posible I'm not winding it up often enough. That's an easy fix though!
Yeah next time you leave a red light that turns green and you are the lead dog - gentley roll forward in first gear and once the clutch is fully engaged roll the throttle on up to 8 grand and you will be doing 60 mph when you shift to second. (I don't do that every time but at least once a week).

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
And keep the RPM up in the twisties. You will discover a whole new bike you didn't know you had!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts