BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What brand is am/fm/wb/cd in glovebox?

I was wondering if anyone knew what brand of stereo is in an 05 LT and if one could simply buy another "Like" size and brand that maybe has an MP3 player also already installed that would read thru the dashboard computer and work the same or am I just looking for the impossible dream? I also have the 6cd changer and would love the space back in my right bag that is lost by this monstrosity. I realize BMW could have and probably should have done this a long time ago. As I understand it, an MP3 gives about 5hr's of playing time on a single disk. That's about 2 tanks of gas. One could simply change it then. Why all the rigamaroll of 2 changers when these guys are supposed to be cutting edge technology? New to these but love tunes while riding. Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Brian:

The stock radio is made by Becker in Germany. It is a rather unusual configuration in that the display, controls and CD player/electronics are three separate entities. I've never seen an aftermarket item that could replace it, however, much as I'd like to think I know everything... :cool: ... don't take my word for it.

What I'd like to see BMW offer in the standard unit is AM/FM/WX, Satellite Radio, an MP3 player and a built-in intercom.

Ironically, Harley - masters of retro-engineering - has introduced a marvelously integrated system as an option on the '06's that does all of that and more. Go figure. :(

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the only answer so far Michael, My harley buddy had to mention that to me also this am when I was lamenting to him this dilema. I keep seeing people on the site talking about this ICE program and an IPOD but didn't really want anything that wouldn't fit in with the std. system. Maybe I'll get on the Becker bandwagon and see if they can help us out.
Brian

·
Registered
588 Posts
I agree. It is a huge oversight on BMWs part that the stereo cannot play MP3 (or WMAs for that matter).

·
Registered
145 Posts
My "holy grail" is to have all of those functions seamlessly integrated into one easily useable sound system. I have my iPod Mini in the oddments box connected to the auxillary jack on the VOICE II, but I rarely use it cuz it's such a pain to control. The ICE>LINK seems to have too many glitches at this time for it to qualify as anywhere near seamless. I don't like having electronics out in the open (handlebars or dash) due to weather and security concerns. My sat radio is also in the oddments box and, while it is the main source I listen to, I usually set it to a favorite channel and leave it - it too is inconvenient and unsafe to play with while riding. Lastly, I have my phone in there as well (hey, they're all small :) ) and it's only used for incoming calls for the same reason.

See, what I hate is that using the LT, or any motorcycle for that matter, for routine transportation is so much less convenient than using a cage. There's so much fussing to do before and after the ride (helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, pants...etc). All this electronic farkelization just adds to the complexity. I farkelize and ride regularly because I love it. I just wish it were more convenient.

I keep hoping that BMW will come out with what we want...we just have to wait...and wait...and wait... :mad:...then we'll have the pleasure of shelling out beaucoup bucks for the genuwhine factory item.

·
Registered
424 Posts
CD to MP3

The 6-cd changer can be replaced with an Alpine 6-disc changer with MP3 capability. I did this on my 05 last month. It also works with the handlebar controls. Here's what you need:

• Alpine CHA-S634 6 Disc CD MP3 changer
  • Blitzsafe BMW/ALP DMX V.1 BMW to Alpine interface box
  • Alpine KCA-130B Ai-NET to KCA130B M-Bus adapter cable

I got the whole rig online from logjamelectronics.com for $350 including shipping.

Swap the old changer with the Alpine and cram the box and cable in there with it.
Sell the old changer on ebay for $150 and you're set. Spin those MP3 burned discs.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
Or you can just get an iPod and ice>Link and do away with the disks altogether. My bike carries a full two weeks' worth of unique music, comedy, soundtracks, and audio books. Plus it sure is great to be able to use the whole right saddlebag.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Or, for the price of an Ipod & Ice>Link you can get a Lowrance 350C GPS with a built-in MP3 player. The GPS can be connected to the AUX port for digital music playback or you can use the built-in FM transmitter over your factory radio. "AND", with the internal battery, running a 12v wire to the GPS is unnecessary. Plus you still get to keep that saddlebag!

·
Registered
424 Posts
meese said:
Or you can just get an iPod and ice>Link and do away with the disks altogether. My bike carries a full two weeks' worth of unique music, comedy, soundtracks, and audio books. Plus it sure is great to be able to use the whole right saddlebag.
Whatever floats. Space in the pannier is the only advantage I see in such a case.

I already have a portable mp3/media player thats not an Apple product and, as infrequently as I use it, won't be replaced anytime soon.

All my music is already stored and managed on a server in my house, so compressing and burning CD-Rs for the bike is a no brainer.

I'm way ahead, value-wise vs. exorbitant iPod + Icelink + having to install iTunes.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
Fair enough. I can't see the need to carry extra CDs and swap them out. I'd rather just have the whole music collection with me all the time, then pick whatever I feel like listening to on the fly, for about the same price as a replacement CD changer.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Gps + Mp3

edonthenet said:
Or, for the price of an Ipod & Ice>Link you can get a Lowrance 350C GPS with a built-in MP3 player. The GPS can be connected to the AUX port for digital music playback or you can use the built-in FM transmitter over your factory radio. "AND", with the internal battery, running a 12v wire to the GPS is unnecessary. Plus you still get to keep that saddlebag!
Ed,

I took a look at the Lowrance 500c on their web site. Nice unit, and something I'd consider if I ever decided to get GPS. The value added by the mp3/ogg file capability might possibly make it worth giving up slaving a music player through the handlebar controls. Currently, GPS is last on my farkles shopping list. I generally don't mind getting lost, ( alot of the time it's the point of my riding ). And I'm really not a fan of adding visual/mental distractions to my cockpit. But I'm sure once you get used to it, it becomes indispensable like so many "luxuries".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts