BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While replacing the oxygen sensor on my 99 LTC as I removed the left foot rest assembly a nut fell from somewhere above the foot rest and landed on the muffler shield. I started looking to see where it came from and I could see a bolt up in the tupperware roughly where my left knee would be. The bolt was not attached to anything and when I touched it with a long stick it fell out also. This is a allen head bolt 10mmx1.5x35mm. A large bolt that must have some purpose! Does anyone know where this bolt might have came from?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Any chance it was left there from another time? Did you undo it during the disassembly? Seems that I always find a few extra parts left over when I fix em myself.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
budzee said:
While replacing the oxygen sensor on my 99 LTC as I removed the left foot rest assembly a nut fell from somewhere above the foot rest and landed on the muffler shield. I started looking to see where it came from and I could see a bolt up in the tupperware roughly where my left knee would be. The bolt was not attached to anything and when I touched it with a long stick it fell out also. This is a allen head bolt 10mmx1.5x35mm. A large bolt that must have some purpose! Does anyone know where this bolt might have came from?
I know this is going to sound odd, but post a pic. Most are like me. in that I can look at a dam bolt and tell you where its supposed to be... Been up barbaras skirt so many times, I see her in my dreams...

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
A pic would be good. My first thought is a mounting bridge bolt. The tubular frame that secures the fuel tank. I'm guessing that you'll be removing the tupperware.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
The nut that fell down is the one that worries me?

I can't imagine where a nut would be used that it could fall off and be where you found it.

On my bike there is a "black hole" where things fall into it and are never seen again. It is right around the ignition key cover.

MAX BMW has an on line parts schematics.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
around your knee??? fuel tank bolt ??? should be a washer and rubber bushing where the stick fell out . that is my guess..

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all replies. It is a nut and bolt. Pretty large bolt, (10mmx1.5x35mm) must hold something important. I have tried to post pics on this site but it always says they are too big. I am taking off the tupperware today. Hope I don't have to go too deep.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I found a nut other than the clip on style ones for the fairings:
18_0314 - EXHAUST SYSTEM

look at part #18 which has been replaced by part #2

I looked there because the only bolt near what you describe that a bike could run without is for the exhaust bracket. But, it is not an allen head and it would drop away and be gone?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
snip >>
Pretty large bolt, (10mmx1.5x35mm) must hold something important
I took a look at my bike today. I have my sidecar off & the bike on my lift to do it's annual service. I just got started on that but I have a lot of the tupperware off. There are 5 bolts that look to be that size. The top shock mount bolt,.. (I think that one is longer that what you found), one on each side holding the subframe on.. ( if I was to guess that is the one I would think ), & there is one on each side holding the motor to the frame.( too far from were you found it & the nut would never make it back there if'n it fell off.)

If it is the bolt that holds the subframe on, if you lift the seat up you might be able to see if one of them are missing

Just my thought's on your extra bolt deal

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found it! It was the bolt that holds the rear sub frame to the main frame. No idea how it fell out but I am blessed to have seen it in time. Thanks for all of your help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts