BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride my LT year round (apart from when there's snow) to work and back, about 60 miles a day, and as my route is mostly motorway there's no better bike for this journey.

I like the LT and plan to tour on it a little this year, but....it's definitely a cruiser, and it lets you know it's not enjoying it if you try and force the pace. First to object is the gearbox, then the engine.

I'd like to get another bike to compliment it. Something that doesn't have to be good on a motorway or in winter, but is still reasonably practicle. I like the K1300S but at the moment can't justify spending so much on a second bike. I like the Triumph Speed Tripple, but it seems so impracticle. I always seem to have BMW's (GS ADV, K100) or Japanese bikes (Hayabusa, TL1000), so I fancy something British or Italian.

The trouble is, I would also really like shaft drive and more importantly ABS. I must also be able to put a large topbox on it so I can change out of my biker gear.

Alternatively, I could get some special bike like an SP2 or a Ducati 9-something or other.

No tourers (I have one - the LT), no trail bikes (I had one - the GS).

Any suggestions out there? Esp from people who had a bike they miss and regret selling.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are you saying the LT is not fast enough for you when you are touring?

That is one of the reasons I bought my LT. When I test drove it, I got on the highway and did not realize I was going 110 MPH and the engine was not even pulling hard. It will even hold the cruise control at that speed and more :dance:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
No one can tell you what you'll like, but we can share experience, so here's mine. I have 3 bikes now, the LT, a Yamaha FZ1, and a HD Softtail Deuce. Had the HD first, then the LT, and went looking for a play bike. I really thought the BMW RT would be it until I rode one. Surprised me to no end that I didn't like it at all. Bummer.
Rode a Triumph Tiger and absolutely loved it. Everything about it just fit, and it was right there in my comfort zone. Did some checking, and found that you can put on an aftermarket exhaust, which would then allow you to run the more spacious side bags of their other models.
What I ended up buying though was the FZ1. Makes no sense, does it? Well, it was that comfort zone thing. The Tiger was comfortable, but I wanted a challenge. I took an FZ1 out and it scared the crap out of me. Those suckers are fast, and corner quick. It took me about 300 miles of riding before I could scrape the pegs on it, and it was a blast. Were it not for wanting to challenge myself, I'm certain I'd have a Tiger now.
And what's really odd, is that when I want to go for a day ride, or across town, I'll always take the Harley. Can't explain it, but I really love that bike.
Guess it all boils down to what it is you want to do, and what it is that you like. I'll say this too: I really do like the Harley as a bike. What I can't stand is the Harley mentality, and thus most Harley riders - the ones in their little pirate outfits. 'nuff said.
Good luck in your search.
Frank

·
Registered
596 Posts
This is my baby beemer

Attachments

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
This is my other bike -

I've owned it for over 15 years, rebuilt it about 7 years ago, and it's totally reliable (and doesn't leak oil :) ) - its great fun for a blast round the country lanes near our village, but I don't want to ride it for much over 150 miles.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've found the Ducati 748 complements my taste for riding. I can't think of any other bike that compliments either.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The smallest, lightest, fastest, most-nimble bike that speaks to you. That's the best bike to compliment the LT. Otherwise, you're going to have a lot of overlap in capabilities.

capnpawkee said:
Are you saying the LT is not fast enough for you when you are touring?
"Fast enough" is relative and/or subjective, isn't it? IMO, the LT is not always fast or quick enough.

capnpawkee said:
When I test drove it, I got on the highway and did not realize I was going 110 MPH and the engine was not even pulling hard. It will even hold the cruise control at that speed and more.
Just some facts. The pre-'05 LT's top speed is about 124mph. The 'newer' LT's top out at about 131mph. The cruise control will not hold a speed above 110mph ... DAMHIK. ;)

While the LT is a (more than) capable "Luxury Touring" bike, it does not do all things well. It falls short in the twisties when you really want to do your best Valentino Rossi impression. Or when you see an opening that allows for speeds a bit higher than the LT is capable of. :D

I realize that riding fast is not very politically correct ... and/or we're not supposed to talk about it. But I've ridden with several guys on this forum. And many speed limits were fractured. The fact that I like riding a bit faster doesn't make me wronger. Just . . . faster. :cool:

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm quite surprised no one has mentioned.......ANOTHER LT......when the new one comes out!! :bmw:
:dance:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, some interesting stuff there.

The LT is plenty fast enough for touring, but it's certainly not fast. I've owned a Hayabusa and driven it at 170mph (on an airfield), and regularly did +150 mph on the German autobahn.

Rocket III I like, but it's another big, very heavy bike.

Triumph Tiger is a big trailie, that I've had.

FZ1 - I like, but I'd probably go for the sport litre bike instead, and what I don't like about those bikes is there's always a new one the next year - they rarely become classics.

Harley, really no. I won't say anything bad about the riders, but here they wear harley helmets, harley jackets, harley pants, harley boots and harley shirts. Oh, and harley sunglasses. They're also really keen on tassles, both on their jackets and pants and their handle bars.

As for the baby beemer in the picture - I want something different, not smaller!

That Triumph Bonneville is lovely. I even like the new one. I wouldn't mind an elderly classic if I had more time, but I don't.

The Ducati sounds good. It's looking like that or a speed tripple at the moment. Thing is, what do they look like with a top box?

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a K1200LT and really love it for two up touring . That was the real reason for buying it. The bike that I also have is a K1200RS with Staintune exhaust, I love the bike and will never part with it. When I want to have fun, I go out on the RS. I live in the UP of Michigan and have riden the RS from home to Gillette, Wyoming to Key West, Florida. At 62 years old, I would not part with either bike. - plain and simple.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Kurtverbose said:
The Ducati sounds good. It's looking like that or a speed tripple at the moment. Thing is, what do they look like with a top box?
The LT tank bag straps onto the LT and also works on the Duc. I recently bought a tail bag for the Duc; big enough for a pair of tennis shoes, jeans, shirt, BVDs, and toiletries bag.

Happy hunting,
Curt

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
The fact that I like riding a bit faster doesn't make me wronger. Just . . . faster. :cool:
:):) - Hi Joe, good to see you back - and riding. Bad news is the Duc has gone, good news is when you make it to Europe is you've got to slum it ON the Bonnie or the LT (or IN the Merc :crazy:)

Hope you, your wife and the kids are all keeping well. ATB.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wacolt said:
The LT tank bag straps onto the LT and also works on the Duc. I recently bought a tail bag for the Duc; big enough for a pair of tennis shoes, jeans, shirt, BVDs, and toiletries bag.

Happy hunting,
Curt
I really need hard, lock-able luggage though. I generally arrive somewhere, take off my leathers and lock them in a box, helmet padlocked to the seat, then it's like I'm a normal person again.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Kurtverbose said:
I really need hard, lock-able luggage though. I generally arrive somewhere, take off my leathers and lock them in a box, helmet padlocked to the seat, then it's like I'm a normal person again.
My last Duc had a bit of luggage - sold it in January - wanted the space.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My other bike is a Triumph America EFI, great for short trips.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Have you considered the Ducati Hypermotard? It sure seems to get great write-ups and praise from owners.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
I recently added a 1985 R80RT airhead with locking side hard bags and top box. Not very expensive and easy to work on and very protected by the fairing/shield. But I get the most compliments on the LT. Just last Sat. I heard "beautiful bike" 3 times. :D Nice folks up in WI.
BTW: I have yet to hear either bike compliment the other. :histerica

Jer

1 - 20 of 37 Posts