BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When removing all the tupperware to do the last service I discovered these lights under the crash bar covers. I tried every combination of switches and they never come on. I assume ther are not factory because the wiring looks home made. Any ideas out there?

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
they are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
chrismaryharris said:
Are they part of the ground lighting system that comes on automatically when you turn the engine off?
Safety feature at night after you drop her and want to know which side to pick her up by. :histerica :bmw: They are also used to impress the folks watching as you walk away to your favourite night spot. :D

Mugz

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excuse my ignorance. But I tried turning then bike on and off and they don't come on. What sequence of events has to happen for them to come on? And are they factory lights? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I do not have them, but I want to say I read some where that you can turn them on and off with the key FOB. ie walking up to the bike in the dark...........I could be totally wrong.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
motorman587 said:
I do not have them, but I want to say I read some where that you can turn them on and off with the key FOB. ie walking up to the bike in the dark...........I could be totally wrong.
Ditto, I believe the key FOB operates it. I don't have it because mine is an '03.
The lights should be factory.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
They should come on when you turn off the bike. Does the map light come on and fade off? These lights should do the same. They do come on when you disarm the alarm and unlock the bags with the FOB - it took three pushes on the left button and then two on the right.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have them and they are factory on my '06 model.

Not sure about the correct sequence of events to turn them on, but I see them when I put my bike in the garage, activate the center stand, and then switch off the engine using the key.

I seem to recall that they're not always turning on, therefore it must have to be with the sequence of events.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So here is what i just tried. If I use the fob and hit the lock button twice, those lights come on when I hit the unlock button. If I hit the lock button only once, they don't come on when I hit the unlock button. The map light does the same thing when I do the above and the map light switch is in the down position. Turning the key on and off doesn't seem to do anything with either light.

Well the mistery may be solved, but I am still unsure what the whole 1 press, 2 press on the fob has to do with those lights and what the thinking is.

Anyway, thanks once again for you help.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
Mine always come on after I shut down the bike, of course you only see them at night.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
jzeiler said:
Mine always come on after I shut down the bike, of course you only see them at night.
That's the only reason I knew that the '05's had 'em because I saw them on your bike when we stayed at the Tuskegee for STC one year.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have an '05 and they come on every time I turn of the bike, unless the bulb is burnt out. I have had to replace at least one bulb. They aren't worth much, but IMHO they are pretty cool. That is especially true if you ride with a bunch of Harley owners. :)

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Mine only come on when it's dark.. I think..

They are helpful in "dark" areas...few of us may encounter those areas...

What's nice, tho. is at night, if they are parked in a bunch of similar bikes at night you can pick your bike out..

otherwise, yeah.. pretty useless...

Now, what's interesting, it they are not totally "WORTHLESS"... they are actually about $30 each..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts