BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an '01 LT on eBay back in February for a very good (no reserve, off season in Wisconsin) price. Looks like it's been through several hands, as the title was in one man's name who only purchased it a year ago, then it went to a Harley dealer, then to the dealer I got it from. Counting the original purchaser that's at least 4 hands it's been through in several cities.
Does a champaign '01 with this history sound familiar to any of our WI members? I have a couple names but have never seen them listed here. Whoever owned it took good care of it & even installed front & rear Ohlins.

Anyway, the bike did not come with any manuals, so I kept an eye out for them on eBay also (I did pick up just the Rider's Manual from my local dealer for $26. Ouch!).

Now fast forward a couple months & I found a complete package with Rider's, Radio, Service & Tech., Warranty, Dealer locator, etc. and won the auction. Reading myself to sleep one night I thought something looked familiar... the VIN matches the one on my title!

The seller of the bike & the seller of the manuals (different yet from any of the names on the title) were in towns many miles apart, as were the different addresses on the title when I got it.

Anyway, I now have service records showing all the scheduled maintenance done up to the 24k plus a few 'extras'. A pleasant surprise!

So... what are the chances???

·
Registered
66 Posts
2nd hand bike

How did you come up with the service records? I purchased a 2002 without proof of all services that have been performed.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Bamabear said:
How did you come up with the service records? I purchased a 2002 without proof of all services that have been performed.
Sometimes a dealer can help you if you provide the VIN, depending on who performed the service. Also the dealer can let you know if there are any outstanding recall items for your specific bike as these are tracked per bike by VIN, so it is always a good idea to check. I was always able to do this by phone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Service

Thanks Zippy. I've had the recalls done, but the dealer here said that he could only find out what services had been performed if it was done there. On a national level he couldn't tell.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
You should love your '01. Got mine a year ago, with under 10,000 miles. Just cracking the 20k mile mark now, with (knocking on wood) no problems. Mine was 1 owner, and he babied it, just like me.

Side note: he was getting a brand new '06 LT, so he wanted to sell! He averaged less than 2,000 miles a year on the '01!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Bamabear said:
Thanks Zippy. I've had the recalls done, but the dealer here said that he could only find out what services had been performed if it was done there. On a national level he couldn't tell.
Hint, when I bought my 03 it had the dealer name on the license plate frame:D . I was able to contact the dealer and check the service record. You can try to locate the dealers near the last location of the bike (previous owner) and call them. "Fortunately" there aren't that many dealers so your search should bear fruit.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bamabear said:

In the technical & service booklet I got the mileage along with the dealer stamp were documented at each of the prescribed intervals. It doesn't specify exactly what was done, but I assume it was all the scheduled items.

I was also told by my local dealer that they could only access recall items (skid plate, etc) and that the servicing dealer would have all records. Now I know the servicing dealer so I will be calling them.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I believe that is incorrect. I purchased my bike from a member on this site who lives in California. When I took my bike in for my first service, I knew of all the work that had been done at the previous dealer. Any work done by the individual was not know except what he told me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts