BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that the bike is stripped I figure it is a good time to change all of the fluids including coolant as I'm not sure when the last time it was done on this bike.

Any suggestions as to what to use?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Any one made for aluminum radiators if you don't want to go buy the BMW stuff or the blue ice stuff. The system holds just less than a gallon so easier to just buy the pre-mix and not worry about distilled water. Are you familiar with the burp process on the top right inside hose?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Gordon,

Thanks for this, I believe the coolant has to be nitrate and phosphate free for the aluminum engine.

Burp process, not familiar with that.

I also see where this bike has an alarm and central lock but it never came with a fob. They must have disengaged the alarm somehow. Do you know if fob's are programmable to these bikes?

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Hey Gordon,

Thanks for this, I believe the coolant has to be nitrate and phosphate free for the aluminum engine.

Burp process, not familiar with that.

I also see where this bike has an alarm and central lock but it never came with a fob. They must have disengaged the alarm somehow. Do you know if fob's are programmable to these bikes?

Thanks again for your help.
No experience with the alarm system other than people disabling it after having trouble.

Here is Kirks video on the coolant flush with the burp procedure illustrated. As mentioned in the video, be very careful in tightening the temp sensor. They snap off easily if you are not using a torque wrench.

https://www.illinoisbmwriders.com/service/instructional-videos/15-k-bikes/45-k1200lt-coolant-flush

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use the dexcool orange stuff. Supposed to be aluminum compatible. I suppose any of the coolants rated for aluminum will do.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
NAPA auto parts store, Pentofrost NF, is the blue stuff that BMW uses. Be careful about any old stuff.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,550 Posts
I get my coolant at the BMW car dealer same stuff and way cheaper than the Bike dealer. But I just use Prestone in the BMW 330ci go figure.

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all replies.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Now that the bike is stripped I figure it is a good time to change all of the fluids including coolant as I'm not sure when the last time it was done on this bike.

Any suggestions as to what to use?

Thanks
This works for me. Looked like new after four years, just as the OEM did after four years, but much less expensive.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Evans waterless, have ity in 4 cars 3 bikes, never needs changing. Jay Leno uses it in all his old and new rides.
Best ever 375 Deg boiling, never corrosion, no H2O at all!

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Evans waterless, have ity in 4 cars 3 bikes, never needs changing. Jay Leno uses it in all his old and new rides.
Best ever 375 Deg boiling, never corrosion, no H2O at all!
If Evans was as all pro and no con as their web site suggests, everybody would use it. Everybody doesn't. There usually is a reason. Might want to read this before switching. This comes from a competitor so that needs to be considered, but you can find several other sources that discuss the many downsides of Evans in addition to the cost downside. I like this one as it is very thorough and tested using ASTM standards.

Given how prone my LT is to detonation, I don't want to lose any margin at all. Engines with Evans will run hotter unless modified with high flow water pumps and larger radiators. It is simply physics and can't be ignored. I would be very concerned running an LT in hot weather, particularly if you had to buy fuel of 89 octane or less as I did in Newfoundland a few years ago.

No-Rosion Products Technical Questions and Answers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts