BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finaly back in the game with my new R1200RT (3 yrs without a bike)and I have been reading threads about communications and have actualy learned quite a bit about intercoms that I have never heard of. I have noticed that there is no mention of CHatterBox that I have used in the past with great success but, since I am in the market for another communication device I thought that I would investigate befor buying the new FRX2. I am assuming that not alot of riders are using or maybe are not aware of the chatterbox. any opinions on this device?

·
Old Dawg
3,288 Posts
I think most of us are very aware of the Chatterbox systems but there are other options that work SO much better we have gone in that direction.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Chatterbox has somewhat of a bad reputation as far as quality goes:confused: . I have no personal experience with them so I don't know other than reading other post's on the matter. I know that they are working on , or are coming out with a blue-tooth comm system.
I have used Autocomm for a while but sold it, as I ride solo and don't need a intercom. Some here use a Beahr system and like it.I bought a MixIT II and really like this simple set up the best.
I have XM, I-Pod and radar when I need it without the mike,the cables and the like. YMMV, so check out what your needs are and go from there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OH ok...kinda like been there done that, now lets play with the stuff that works.

Very cool, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Chatter Box

Don't know why so many people are down on Chatterbox. I've had an X1 for at least three years. It works as well or better than most of the units the guys I ride with use including Autocom. I velco it on to the lid of my tape box and run everything into it;

MP3 Player
Radar Detector
PPT Button for my wife
GPS
You can connect you cell if you wish

What more can you want? It takes a reasonable amount of rain, I can easily move it from one bike to another, it has held up reasonably well and I can buy connectors at Radio Shack. The die hard Autocom guys I know have had their units back to the shop and spend $125.00 or so for a headset. My Chatterbox went back for repairs after I rode two hours on a CBR1000RR in a pouring thunderstorm with the thing stuck on my helmet, don't think that makes it "cheap". Chatterbox had a unit back to me in three days! Try that with someone else.

Get what you want for communication but make sure you take a look at the $$ spent the range of connections and cost of making connections.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Chatterbox

The Chatterbox I used on my old bike worked flawlessly with my cell.....wish I could say the same about the VOICE II on my LT. It also worked better as an intercomm....you did not have to mumble to activate the mike.

On the flip side the music was lousy and the comfort was not as good as a properly installed J&M headset.

·
Registered
469 Posts
We've been using a Chatterbox for 6 troublefree years and it's great at low speeds. Once we get above 50 the pillion can't hear me even though I can hear her, and at about 70 it's useless. When cruising the motorways I switch it off at high speed simply because it picks up all the engine and wind noise and amplifies it into my ears. Incidentally, at 120mph it is positively deafening...especially in the rain as it picks up the drops of water smashing onto the helmet!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
ScratchMark said:
I am finaly back in the game with my new R1200RT (3 yrs without a bike)and I have been reading threads about communications and have actualy learned quite a bit about intercoms that I have never heard of. I have noticed that there is no mention of CHatterBox that I have used in the past with great success but, since I am in the market for another communication device I thought that I would investigate befor buying the new FRX2. I am assuming that not alot of riders are using or maybe are not aware of the chatterbox. any opinions on this device?
Mark the ChatterBox X-1 is a great unit it is poretty darn clear and works flawlessly every time, I wish I could say that same for our autocom units at way more than twice the price each

too bad they do not make a CB I would buy it!

Tom

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
brianbeemer said:
We've been using a Chatterbox for 6 troublefree years and it's great at low speeds. Once we get above 50 the pillion can't hear me even though I can hear her, and at about 70 it's useless. When cruising the motorways I switch it off at high speed simply because it picks up all the engine and wind noise and amplifies it into my ears. Incidentally, at 120mph it is positively deafening...especially in the rain as it picks up the drops of water smashing onto the helmet!

what unit do you have, we have a X-1 and it is fine at high speed, but it is only used solo

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm a recent convert to the LT having bought a 2003 LTC just before Christmas and wanted to share info on the X-1 install on my bike.

Since I already had the X-1 for use on my V-Rod, it made sense to figure out a way that I could use it on the LT as well until such time as SWMBO permits investment in a 'proper' intercom.

On the V-Rod I use the X-1 on a belt clip as there isn't a great deal of room to hang it, but on the LT I wanted to have a more integrated approach.

The X-1 sits on a Hoon Hardware XM mount on the clutch master cylinder, and is powered direct from the battery. I can just reach the PTT button with my thumb and it doesn't obscure the mirror (I'm 5' 10").

I obtained the black extension cords for the headsets from ebay and ran them under the plastics to exit under the rider and passenger seats.

I got a new LT passenger PTT button from ebay and that is wired to an extension cord to the X-1 PTT input.

I have a Delphi XM MyFi so I put the antenna on the Hoon bracket and ran the wire under the plastics along with audio cord to the oddments box so I can have XM or plug in an iPod for music, which works well, albeit currently only on battery power.

The installation works great, no engine noise and I have the option to use VOX or PTT as appropriate to conditions. Having the antenna high up with little obstruction as opposed to being in the oddments box, also gives me good radio range with my riding buddies.

It may not be as elegant as a factory or aftermarket fitted intercom, but it works well for me right now, which is most important.

Cheers,

Kev

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Starcom 1 Advanced

Just to add to your confussion I tried the Chatterbox a few years ago and had enless problems and was constanly having to replace batteries, and Cindy hated that we only seemed to be able to hear each other when we were stopped or slowing down. This wasn't on the LT it is much quieter and this was an old model. We bought a Starcom 1 that I am still using on the GS and we bought a Starcom 1 Advanced that we have on the LT, it works great at any speed, connect the bike radio, radar detector, gps, frs/gmrs, satallite radio, iPod and they all have worked fine. I had a CB connection but the CB radio wasn't very good too much static.

I think Kev's installation is really cool.

·
Registered
469 Posts
tmgs said:
what unit do you have, we have a X-1 and it is fine at high speed, but it is only used solo
I have a Tandem-PRO. As I said, it is really great at lower speeds. SWMBO was only saying this morning that it distorts badly at speed because of all the extraneous noise that finds its way in. That said, it's simple, easy, transferable, etc... I am putting the Autocom on the bike all the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts