BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to be proactive and prepared in the repair of my bike I ordered...........

- Right handlebar grip switch housing
- Oil Filter
- K&N Air Filter
- Starter Relay Kit (instead of just a relay)

I ordered this stuff before I had the bike apart. I finshed opening everything up and found I ALREADY have a K&N Filter AND the upgraded starter relay kit! All I needed was a new relay. :(

On one hand I am happy because I just have to plug-and-play a new relay instead of wiring in a new relay kit and I dont have to spend the money on the new filter (if the seller will take it back....). At least I KNOW that I needed the new switch housing! :rotf:

Assume nothing wth a used bike!

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
It is very unusual to have to replace the non-defective relay.

Bob

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I love the colour of your LT. :wave

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
I
Nmclay said:
In order to be proactive and prepared in the repair of my bike I ordered...........

- Right handlebar grip switch housing
- Oil Filter
- K&N Air Filter
- Starter Relay Kit (instead of just a relay)

I ordered this stuff before I had the bike apart. I finshed opening everything up and found I ALREADY have a K&N Filter AND the upgraded starter relay kit! All I needed was a new relay. :(

On one hand I am happy because I just have to plug-and-play a new relay instead of wiring in a new relay kit and I dont have to spend the money on the new filter (if the seller will take it back....). At least I KNOW that I needed the new switch housing! :rotf:

Assume nothing wth a used bike!
I'd remove that K&N filter and replace it with a good filter pronto!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Beautiful bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all! :wave It does not look very pretty right now (in pieces all over my garage...... :( )

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Voyager said:
I

I'd remove that K&N filter and replace it with a good filter pronto!
+1

Unless you have reprogrammed your engine chip for the lower flow resistance the K&N air filter supplies, DON'T take that route. Some skilled engineers have originally calculated / programmed the engine fuel injection controller based on the OEM filter air resistance. Why would you want to go and mess with it? It is somewhat different thing with carburator engines, but with fuel injected...you gotta know what you are doing!
Been there, done that...

Regards

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
pozo_izquierdo said:
+1

Unless you have reprogrammed your engine chip for the lower flow resistance the K&N air filter supplies, DON'T take that route. Some skilled engineers have originally calculated / programmed the engine fuel injection controller based on the OEM filter air resistance. Why would you want to go and mess with it? It is somewhat different thing with carburator engines, but with fuel injected...you gotta know what you are doing!
Been there, done that...

Regards
That is a secondary issue for sure, but the primary issue is that K&N filters get their higher flow by also allowing more particles to flow through. For racing engines that get rebuilt fairly often, this is not a problem as performance is paramount and early wear-out isn't a big deal. For a street machine, this generally isn't what people want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts