BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow! What A Difference! PreLoad Refill Worked Wonders

Yesterday, I finished replacing my clutch, seals, slave cylinder, plugs, air filter, fluids and oil filter, and refilled the rear preload adjuster. (Details in this thread).

I rode the bike a few times around the neighborhood yesterday to be sure all was working -- it was -- and then last evening I rode it a bit further and took her onto the freeway.

All I can say is WOW! The clutch is how it should be, and the engine purrs, but what really stands out (besides the clutch not slipping and the clutch now engaging much closer to the 'in' position) is the feel of the suspension with the refilled preload adjuster! I am still looking for a place to install the new HyperPro springs onto my shocks, and can hardly wait to see how much of an improvement they give if the preloader alone made such a difference.

Refilling the preload adjuster is a simple process, you just need to remember to do ALL of the steps. DAMHIK :rolleyes:

If anyone in the DFW area wants to do this but is hesitant to do it themselves, PM me and I will be happy to have you over and show you how it is done. Cost is virtually nil, total time is under thirty minutes, and the effect is immediate!

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I've been folowing what you have gone thru Tony, very frustrating, especially with certified wrenches not having a clue that an oil leak can take out the clutch and not show visable signs of leajage.

Glas to see you are back on the road again.

I'll be replacing my slave cylinder this winter along with installing an "oil proof" clutch and replacing seals.

Course, as we who live in the 100+F endless summers know, winter is the only time we can do wrenching without roasting.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Congradulations....I know you suffered with the task.....but....now we in South Central have our own expert......you the Man :dance:

·
Registered
795 Posts
BecketMa said:
Course, as we who live in the 100+F endless summers know, winter is the only time we can do wrenching without roasting.
+1

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
loansumrider said:
Congradulations....I know you suffered with the task.....but....now we in South Central have our own expert......you the Man :dance:

I dunno about being an expert, Jim.

I just do not have trouble following directions and not to proud to ask those more experienced than I for help when something does not seem right.

Just the same, it is done, working great, and I am glad to join you in the happy dance! :dance:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BecketMa said:
Was originally going to do it in the winter, but had a couple of surgeries come up. I figured I could let it ride and milk it along for the summer, but with a trip to Wisconsin coming up and Suzanne wanting to take the bike, I did not dare risk it. The pressure was good for me, I work well under pressure. That said, sooooo glad that task is done!

From the time I started in the morning until when I knocked off at night, it was not unusual for me to show a six pound difference in my weight... almost a gallon's worth. And that is just laying on my back and side mostly, and trying to stay hydrated.

Yup, summer is NOT the best time to do this kind of thing! :)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Expert:

ex is a has-been.
spert is just a drip under pressure.

Me thinks they're making fun of you. :p

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fpmlt said:
Expert:

ex is a has-been.
spert is just a drip under pressure.

Me thinks they're making fun of you. :p
Me thinks you are as well. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
fpmlt said:
Expert:

"ex" is a has-been.
"spurt" is just a drip under pressure...
A little off-topic, but: That is a blast from the past. In college many years ago I saw a video presentation where the speaker said that, and drew a little diagram on a chalkboard to demonstrate it. Do you know where you heard that little saying? Just curious. I've never heard anyone else say it, although I do once in awhile.

:b2topic:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm getting my LT back today from the Dealer. I'm hoping for the same results. Can't wait!!!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RVB1019 said:
I'm getting my LT back today from the Dealer. I'm hoping for the same results. Can't wait!!!
Hooo-Yah! Hope you do too, Rob.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hschisler said:
A little off-topic, but: That is a blast from the past. In college many years ago I saw a video presentation where the speaker said that, and drew a little diagram on a chalkboard to demonstrate it. Do you know where you heard that little saying? Just curious. I've never heard anyone else say it, although I do once in awhile.

:b2topic:
I have been using it as well for about 25-30 years myself. Chalkboard, what is a chalkboard? LoL remember the "clouds" we used to make with two erasers? Remember what a PITA it was when it was your turn to wash it? Good times! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Tony!
Great news to hear you're up and about after your trip up north! :clapping:

FWIW: I had my Hyper Pro springs changed out at the Honda Powersports on IH35 just North of Round Rock for a 12-pack of Shiner! :toast:
Not saying you need to travel down here to do that, especially since you have to take your bike apart again to change out your springs, but you might have some luck at one of the major motorcycle dealers up there for a 12-pack! The HD threw an unbelievable figure of $100 at me and all I could do was scoff! I was going to try and do this myself, but having the right tools is a major bonus and I didn't feel like spending the mula for a one-time-use thing!

The new springs appear to make a huge difference just looking at it....haven't tried it out yet and cannot wait to feel the difference! With a complete 12k service and getting ready to do the Jensen 2212 install today.....Belle should be ready to rock and roll!

BTW....thanks for the "eyes" you sent! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Actually, Tony, in your post, I wasn't sure if you were commenting about the change in clutch or the change in suspension.
If you were talking about the change in suspension, you're in for a treat when you put on aftermarkets.
THAT will open your eyes.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BlauBeeMr said:
Tony!
Great news to hear you're up and about after your trip up north! :clapping:

FWIW: I had my Hyper Pro springs changed out at the Honda Powersports on IH35 just North of Round Rock for a 12-pack of Shiner! :toast:
Not saying you need to travel down here to do that, especially since you have to take your bike apart again to change out your springs, but you might have some luck at one of the major motorcycle dealers up there for a 12-pack! The HD threw an unbelievable figure of $100 at me and all I could do was scoff! I was going to try and do this myself, but having the right tools is a major bonus and I didn't feel like spending the mula for a one-time-use thing!

The new springs appear to make a huge difference just looking at it....haven't tried it out yet and cannot wait to feel the difference! With a complete 12k service and getting ready to do the Jensen 2212 install today.....Belle should be ready to rock and roll!

BTW....thanks for the "eyes" you sent! :thumb:
Kenny,

Honda (Maxim) tried but did not have correct attachment, HD said they could not compress since no tool, half a dozen car shops, including Firestone and Goodyear said they did not have the tool for that shock. Guess I could call the BMW shop, but not optimistic.

There are a few good-sized dealers across town where I used to live. Will try to remember to try those when I go over next week to pick up Mozzie for the week.

I put spare shocks on the bike when it was apart so I could have the new HP springs put on "my" shocks. I will swap them next time I do service... If I find a place up here to mount springs!

·
Registered
478 Posts
the jig to change the springs is not hard to build a couple pieces of ready rod and two
small (8 inch pieces of 6 inch flat stock)plates and a hole saw.it took me about a 1/2 hour to build. i am sure some one close to you has one. start a new thread you will find one. and you will like the diffrence they make

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Tony,
I have the compressor that Haughty made. Also have a set of
shocks with Hyperpro springs mounted. Swap your shocks and springs
for mine if you want. Your choice, can bring next weekend.

Dan

·
Registered
999 Posts
if I had seen this video before my spring change would have tried it, I have the straps, I used my car srpring compressors for the front but being too big was a little tricky - borrowed the top plate for the rear from another member

copy/paste - Polaris RZR Spring Replacement - Super ATV

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DanMartin said:
Tony,
I have the compressor that Haughty made. Also have a set of
shocks with Hyperpro springs mounted. Swap your shocks and springs
for mine if you want. Your choice, can bring next weekend.

Dan
Sounds like an idea, Dan. Front shock is still on the bike. Rear shock is off, though, and sitting with its spring. Even if we swap rears, I would still need to have a way to do spring on front.

Any chance I could borrow the compressor for a bit to get it done?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts