BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

What a difference!!!

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Voyager 
#1 ·
hello to all,

referring to my previous posts complaining that the suspension of my 2008 Lt is soft for my likes, i tried to increase tire pressure more than what the manual recommends.
So i put 38psi front and 45psi at the rear and went for a ride.....WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!

My bike has changed ALOT!!!

I was a bit afraid to put more pressure but now i want to hear more from you...

What pressure is "safe" to run and what else do you recommend?

Thanx for all info shared.

#2 ·
I run 42/48.....rides great!

When I bought my last LT (Grey Goose), the guy complained that the bike rode like crap. He sold it to me DIRT CHEAP. Tire pressure was at 12 lbs on the front, and 18 lbs on the rear. I aired the tires, and drove it home (950 miles). She drove like a dream, a great dream! It pays to check the tires!

#5 ·
kk610lt said:
+1 on the 42F - 48R
+1 more

What kind of oil do you run in your tires, and how often do you rotate them? That may have something to do with it, too. Just saying'.

:corn:

#6 ·
You can go to max pressure on the side wall.

old rule of thumb max pressure minus 2 for solo. Max pressure for dual.

Metzler tires best overall 42 front 48 rear. super slab some of us increase the rear to 50.

#7 ·
+1 more on the metz at 42 and 48

#9 ·
SOULMAN203 said:
thanx for the info, can't wait to try the new pressures; I'm worried though; are these pressures safe on high temp climates like Cyprus?
It's 110-115 F in the summer here in Texas, I'm sure you will be fine.

#10 ·
Nice try... :wave

deputy5211 said:
+1 more

What kind of oil do you run in your tires, and how often do you rotate them? That may have something to do with it, too. Just saying'.

#11 ·
deputy5211 said:
+1 more

Don't forget the seasonal air transfusion! One time I tried to run summer air during the winter and the handling was terrible! :stir:

#12 ·
Lynn_Keen said:
Don't forget the seasonal air transfusion! One time I tried to run summer air during the winter and the handling was terrible! :stir:
I've always been grateful for this site. Seemingly good kind people trying to help each other without condescending or ulterior motives. I hope thats not changing. 42-48 will give your more miles as well.

#13 ·
Guys, your 42F/48R rule, is that for solo ride or 2up + luggage?

I ride 80% of my time solo sometimes with luggage, 20% with my daugter mainly without luggage.
What would you suggest for my tyre pressure?

#14 ·
pagl57 said:
Guys, your 42F/48R rule, is that for solo ride or 2up + luggage?

I ride 80% of my time solo sometimes with luggage, 20% with my daugter mainly without luggage.
What would you suggest for my tyre pressure?
Metzler tires best overall 42 front 48 rear. super slab (touring full load) some of us increase the rear to 50.

#15 ·
The cycle manufacturers have to balance handling, tire life, etc. when they set their recommendations for pressure. Just keep in mind that the max pressures listed on the sidewall are what's important. The manufacturer has no control over what vehicle their tire gets mounted on, so tires are rated by max load at max pressure cold. They are designed to gain pressure as they warm up on the road. Generally, running the max pressure will give you the longest tire life as well. I run 45 front and 50 rear all the time.

#16 ·
Try this

Tire pressure
This is what I've learned thru talking to the tire manufactures. Use the "10%" rule.
Start at 42 front and 42 rear, which is stamped on the Avons, go for a "normal" ride, enough to get the tires up to temp. When you stop, check the pressures immediately. You should have raised the pressures by 10%. If you are low % you have too much air, too high % too low. Add or lose a little and try again the next day. You would be surprised how much difference 1 or 2 lbs can make. Worked for me for the last 25 yrs. the first 15 I was just a baby biker still learning,and almost all brands of tires on different bikes.

Zeke

#17 ·
SOULMAN203 said:
thanx for the info, can't wait to try the new pressures; I'm worried though; are these pressures safe on high temp climates like Cyprus?
Higher pressures are safer in hotter weather (up to the max limit as shown on the sidewall).

#18 ·
Lynn_Keen said:
You could run nitrogen as it is rated for both winter and summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.