BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking of getting the central locking top case for my 2019 1250RT,
I have the silver 49L manual locking case at the moment in excellent condition and just wondered what it might be worth to help fund the new case ?. I’m in the UK.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
263 Posts
I’m thinking of getting the central locking top case for my 2019 1250RT,
I have the silver 49L manual locking case at the moment in excellent condition and just wondered what it might be worth to help fund the new case ?. I’m in the UK.
I suppose Ebay is your friend, as far as market pricing might be concerned. Be sure to use their advanced search function, and check for your particular case in the "sold" category. However, if that 49L case you have is made for the R1200RT/R1250RT (i.e. fits either the Wethead or Shiftcam), I think I'd get a quote for repainting it with your factory color to match, and forget about the central locking case. Nice to have, i.e. locking, but not worth buying high and selling pretty low, for your existing case.

I've seen the Hexhead/Camhead type 49L cases go for as little as $300 to $500 (USA, of course), while my new (2018 RT) case cost $1500 (though I got a break on it, as part of my used bike purchase). No idea what a newer, used case would go for, but my rule of thumb for near-new, but used stuff is expect to lose at least 50% of your value in the exchange, more if you put it on a site like Ebay (i.e. cost of add, cost of paypal payment, shipping etc.). Heck, I've got some rear luggage protecting crash bars that I'm probably going to just give way, or dump altogether, because shipping would reduce their value to, well, to just not worth bothering selling them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Also consider how often you are likely to use the bike with the top case on - if you are going to leave it on permanently then that’s one thing but if you plan to frequently remove it, having the addition wiring lead is a real P.I.T.A.

I have the centrally locked top case with the extra brake light which I use very infrequently - the real pain is having to remove the passenger seat to plug it in. I would probably use it more if I didn’t have to go through this process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got lucky and bought a BMW 49L (central locking w/ 3rd brake light) top case for my '15 R1200RT for approximately $500 on a BMW forum. I waiting along time for one to pop up for sale but it was worth it. From what I have scene they run anywhere from 800-1000 from online private sales and even more than that from a dealer. The central locking is a plus and convenient but if you don't mind manual and taking a bit longer to lock/unlock I would not spend a ton of money.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
263 Posts
Also consider how often you are likely to use the bike with the top case on - if you are going to leave it on permanently then that’s one thing but if you plan to frequently remove it, having the addition wiring lead is a real P.I.T.A.

I have the centrally locked top case with the extra brake light which I use very infrequently - the real pain is having to remove the passenger seat to plug it in. I would probably use it more if I didn’t have to go through this process.
That's a good point, and truth be told, other than long trips or riding 2-up with my wife, I don't really even need the side cases let alone the top case, but out of habit I leave the side cases on but do ride without the top case, most of the time.

However, what's the liability if you simply zip tie off and tuck the cord on the case, and mount it without connecting the lead. Now that you've prompted my thoughts on the issue, if I'm running to the local store to pick up a gallon of milk, etc., that's exactly what I'd do. I don't "need" the autolocking feature, and I rode for years with a top case that had neither that locking system nor the brake lights, and was none the worse for it.

Anyhow, it's something for you to consider, i.e. it might work for you.

(The biggest issue for me in my small garage is where to store the dang thing, if it's not mounted on the bike. 🤣 I mean, it's a beautiful new case, and I'd die if it got scratched up or chipped because it fell and hit the floor, or something like that 'cause of storage.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply’s everyone. I’d say 95% of my rides out are with the wife on pillion and she insists on the topcase being on. And to be honest I don’t mind it on myself, I think the bike rides great.
i can see it being a pain undoung The 2 screws of the rear seat to unclip the plug, I made un a waterproof male and female socket on my pan European top case, it was suppling power and an led brake light.
one thing I find really odd is there’s no handle on the topcase !.

I still would prefer the CL version because of the side cases having it, I know it’s going to bug me!.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pretty sure you can buy all the parts to make it a central locking case! then get the top cover painted or replace it they are fairly cheap about £180 for a new cover
Hi, i asked a few dealers about this but they say it’s not possible, please can you you point me in the right direction or links for these parts ?. Thanks. I can get the silver cover paint matched no problem.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The biggest issue for me in my small garage is where to store the dang thing, if it's not mounted on the bike. 🤣 I mean, it's a beautiful new case, and I'd die if it got scratched up or chipped because it fell and hit the floor, or something like that 'cause of storage.)
I'm sure I've seen somewhere a rack mounted on the garage wall to stow a top box. Don't know if it was a company or an individual.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 51 liter Givi case that I have moved from bike to bike. The side cases are so big on my RT that I have get to mount the top case. If I do, it will be for a single trip :). But I don't carry a passenger.

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
25 Posts
Hi, i asked a few dealers about this but they say it’s not possible, please can you you point me in the right direction or links for these parts ?. Thanks. I can get the silver cover paint matched no problem.
I have seen somewhere that you can buy all the parts but not sure where I have seen it! I have searched high and low today and I cannot find it at all!

Do you have the wiring on your box? and is it the one with the lock in the centre of the box below the catch to open the box?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have seen somewhere that you can buy all the parts but not sure where I have seen it! I have searched high and low today and I cannot find it at all!

Do you have the wiring on your box? and is it the one with the lock in the centre of the box below the catch to open the box?
Yes it’s the box with the lock in the centre below the catch. I have no wiring but the bike has the plug under the pillion seat.
i cannot find anything on converting the box to CL on the net…

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
25 Posts
Yes it’s the box with the lock in the centre below the catch. I have no wiring but the bike has the plug under the pillion seat.
i cannot find anything on converting the box to CL on the net…
I would have thought the box will be the same as all boxes and you just add the parts you want!

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
25 Posts
I am pretty sure the k1600 top case is the same as the R1200 and this is the part number for the central locking actuator 67117719054

Trying to find a wiring look for the case its a nightmare!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts