BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went for a little ride yesterday and all was well except that I thought the engine temperature was a bar, maybe two higher than I recall.

Came on home and let it sit a bit to cool down. Flashlight in hand and I could not see coolant in the sight-"glass". You know, that tiny slot inside the starboard side cowling vent. Took the panel off and opened the coolant stopper.. No color visible.

Looks like time to mix up a batch and bring the level up.

So... Coolant to add to the water... ? Regular anti-Freeze or some exotic BMW potion? I assume the Mother Ship's Nectar is infused with liquid Gold...

I assume water works but coolant would be better... thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
From what I have read, it is very important to use the proper coolant. This is one of the area that I do not know much about, but I do understand what others have said about this importance. So.....if it was me, I would use the BMW one!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Neither the manual nor the RepROM provides any specs for the coolant. The RepROM does give a part number for a 1.5 liter bottle, 83 19 2 211 191. The MAX BMW fiche says that part number is NA, and refers you to quart ($8.42) and gallon ($25.42) sizes of BMW coolant. Looks generic to me. I'd probably use whatever I had on hand that was compatible with aluminum.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hopz,

I have a gallon of the BMW anti-freeze, if you would like some give me a call and I would be happy to assist. You probably don't need much and its pricey to purchase for a small amount.

Dave
719-359-6244

Reactions: hopz

·
Registered
502 Posts
Went for a little ride yesterday and all was well except that I thought the engine temperature was a bar, maybe two higher than I recall.

Came on home and let it sit a bit to cool down. Flashlight in hand and I could not see coolant in the sight-"glass". You know, that tiny slot inside the starboard side cowling vent. Took the panel off and opened the coolant stopper.. No color visible.

Looks like time to mix up a batch and bring the level up.

So... Coolant to add to the water... ? Regular anti-Freeze or some exotic BMW potion? I assume the Mother Ship's Nectar is infused with liquid Gold...

I assume water works but coolant would be better... thoughts?
I was able to get a quart of the bmw coolant from the motorcycle dealer. Its concentrated, so you mix 50/50 with water. I think it was about $8.

My 2016 RT was at "minimum" in the sight window before a 2000 mi trip this summer, so I brought it up to "max" in the sight window. It only took a couple oz of coolant mix to do this.

The easiest tool to use is a small squeeze bottle (I got a pack of 3 from Harbor Freight for about $2) so you can pour it in without making a mess.

Unless the reserve tank is completely empty, I'd mix up 4 to 6 oz and go from there.

Reactions: hopz

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
I went to a BMW car dealer and bought a gallon.

I just did the same thing. Looked into the window and could see no coolant. Pull the front panel and then can see it right below the min line.

Used 3oz of distilled water and 3 oz of BMW antifreeze, took little over 4 oz to fill it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I went to a BMW car dealer and bought a gallon.

I just did the same thing. Looked into the window and could see no coolant. Pull the front panel and then can see it right below the min line.

Used 3oz of distilled water and 3 oz of BMW antifreeze, took little over 4 oz to fill it.
Is the coolant supposed to be checked when hot? If so, it should be at minimum when cold. Water expands with heat, as do most things.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the "proper" method is to check with the engine cool...

Reactions: LAF

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Hey Bob, thanks for making me check my coolant level! I couldn't even see it (cold), with a strong flashlight. I suspect that I am also low, but will have to take the tupperware off to be sure!

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Hey Bob, thanks for making me check my coolant level! I couldn't even see it (cold), with a strong flashlight. I suspect that I am also low, but will have to take the tupperware off to be sure!
Careful that front panel :surprise:

I bet you are right where I was right at the min line and I could not see it. As soon as it was in daylight I saw where it was :nerd:

I am sure BMW car dealers are seeing a drastic rise in sales for BMW Coolant :grin:

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Careful that front panel :surprise:

I bet you are right where I was right at the min line and I could not see it. As soon as it was in daylight I saw where it was :nerd:

I am sure BMW car dealers are seeing a drastic rise in sales for BMW Coolant :grin:
It was in daylight, when I looked....just this morning, and I was using a strong flashlight to try to see better, but no luck.

Hey, I am quite an expert on getting that main panels off without putting any strains on the flimsy tabs! :) BTW, saw your pictures, in the other thread, of the Velcro, and I can tell you (again) that there were none on mine!

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just as a data point and follow-up.

I went to the local BMW moto dealer and bought a quart of the magic blue fluid ($9.00)... or was it green? but I digress. did the 50/50 dilution and added enough coolant mix to be near the top of the plastic overflow canister.

Took a ride a few minutes ago and the temperature gauge was where it should be. Also noticed that the temp varied to a much greater degree than I recall. Up-down much more than expected.... never got as high as it was the other day.

FWIW...

your actual mileage may vary.

Reactions: PadG

·
Registered
502 Posts
Is the coolant supposed to be checked when hot? If so, it should be at minimum when cold. Water expands with heat, as do most things.
According to the Tech at my BMW dealer, the tank on the wethead is a "reserve" take, not an "expansion" tank.

In any case, proper procedure that I'm aware of for all cooling systems is to check when cold. Unless the system as min cold and max hot markings (which might be on an expansion tank).

The temperature of the coolant in the radiator should not have any impact on the level in a reserve tank, because any excess does no flow into it. A vaccum, however (a hot system cooling down) will draw necessary coolant in past the one way valve.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
So does anyone have a guess where the coolant goes?

I have topped off the tank twice now in 14,500 miles.

I have no leaks that I can see and the bike has sat in the same place since new and it is a 15. I would think I would see a mark on the garage floor.

Had a few drops weep at 385 miles but never again. I keep it spotless and would see it from the weep hole.

Curious where everyone thinks it is going?

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
as a follow-on....

I added the top-up coolant to the plastic "Overflow/Expansion" tank.

Is the "proper" method supposed to be to fill the actual radiator tank (with the regular radiator type cap)? Does it matter?

FWIW my engine temperatures returned to "normal" after filling the overflow tank... the thread got me to thinking....

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
According to the Tech at my BMW dealer, the tank on the wethead is a "reserve" take, not an "expansion" tank.

In any case, proper procedure that I'm aware of for all cooling systems is to check when cold. Unless the system as min cold and max hot markings (which might be on an expansion tank).

The temperature of the coolant in the radiator should not have any impact on the level in a reserve tank, because any excess does no flow into it. A vaccum, however (a hot system cooling down) will draw necessary coolant in past the one way valve.
Is this what the tech told you, or do you know it for fact? Try an easy experiment for yourself. Look at the coolant level of your RT while it is cold. Now, take a ride, long enough to get the temperature up into the normal operating temperature, and better still ride in hot weather. Now, when you park the RT after that ride, take a look at the coolant level, and according to you, the level should be identical to when cold!

If you are correct, then there must be something wrong with my '15 RT, because yesterday, I looked at the level of my coolant when cold (in my garage), and it was smack at the low mark. Went out for a long 6 hours ride, came back and after getting the RT up on its center stand again, looked at the coolant level and it was about 1/4" above the low mark!

Whether you call that tank an expansion tank or reserve, it serves the same purpose in holding the excess coolant when the liquid gets hot. Hot coolant expands in volume, and how do you think that is accommodated by the system? It over-flows into the expansion/reserve tank, and when the coolant in the engine cools down again and contract in volume, it draws the fluid from the expansion/reserve tank into the engine! The only valve in the whole system is the thermostat!

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
So does anyone have a guess where the coolant goes?

I have topped off the tank twice now in 14,500 miles.

I have no leaks that I can see and the bike has sat in the same place since new and it is a 15. I would think I would see a mark on the garage floor.

Had a few drops weep at 385 miles but never again. I keep it spotless and would see it from the weep hole.

Curious where everyone thinks it is going?
As I commented in the other forum, the only thing that I could think of was that we are getting some loss from natural evaporation (of water) in the expansion tank, and possibly some leakages at the hose connections that may be so little, but over a long period of time, such that we don't see any external signs of the leakage. The next time that I have all the tupperware off the RT, I am going to take a careful look at those connections!

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
as a follow-on....

I added the top-up coolant to the plastic "Overflow/Expansion" tank.

Is the "proper" method supposed to be to fill the actual radiator tank (with the regular radiator type cap)? Does it matter?

FWIW my engine temperatures returned to "normal" after filling the overflow tank... the thread got me to thinking....
In modern cars with expansion tank, you top up in the expansion tank. Therefore, it should be the same here!

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
In modern cars with expansion tank, you top up in the expansion tank. Therefore, it should be the same here!
As someone who is always trying to be too smart for his own good when I filled my this last time I took the cap off the radiator thinking I could fill there and the expansion tank. Wrong the radiator was full to the top. I put the roughly 4oz into the expansion tank. Which does have Min/Max marks on it. Mine was a bit below the Min line so I needed to pull the panel to be sure. Which you have to pull anyway to top off.

I have to admit my other reason was to look at the cap proper make sure it looked ok and the rubber was still pliable and to see if I could see anything else amiss with the cap. It looked fine to me.

If we are heating off water then out antifreeze is going to be stronger than it should be, 50/50, and that is as bad as too weak or more so from what I read.

Have to see how it behaves and how long it takes to loose some this time. Maybe others can check theirs and we can see if more people are using/loosing antifreeze.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
115 Posts

God forbid that anyone might look at the owner's manual... BMW calls it an "expansion tank" and tells you to fill via that tank. See about page 128 in your manual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts