BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just did the low beam conversion with adv monster set up $50 now on sale. Beautifully engineered. For Gods sake take this advice and take the headlight out first. Do that and the kit install is 3 minutes. As others have said- works great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Rumble. I've had good luck with the "braided" style coolers like the Adv Monster H7 unit. Am about to pull the trigger. Do you have any trouble with CANbus error codes?

My previous bike with braided-cooler doesn't have a CANbus. It still runs like a champ.

In addition to the error code question, are you suggesting taking the whole light module apart to install the Adv H7 braided LED?

Thanks for your help,
Scotty

·
Premium Member
5,169 Posts
Hey Rumble. I've had good luck with the "braided" style coolers like the Adv Monster H7 unit. Am about to pull the trigger. Do you have any trouble with CANbus error codes?

My previous bike with braided-cooler doesn't have a CANbus. It still runs like a champ.

In addition to the error code question, are you suggesting taking the whole light module apart to install the Adv H7 braided LED?

Thanks for your help,
Scotty
Personally, I would go with the braided heatsink style as well. Several people have put them on their RTs (not necessary the brand mentioned), and they have had no issues, CANbus or otherwise. If it wasn't for the fact that I am waiting to get the 2021 RT, which comes with LED headlamps, I would have upgraded to the less expensive braided style from eBay!

BTW, on eBay, you will note sellers telling you about CANbus compatibility.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. I may dig up the one I used on my other bike, since it has worked so well over it's 7 or 8 yr run(!).

Do you recommend installing in-place (blind/reverse method :) or by removing the the headlight module?

Thanks for your help PadG!

Scotty

·
Premium Member
5,169 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. I may dig up the one I used on my other bike, since it has worked so well over it's 7 or 8 yr run(!).

Do you recommend installing in-place (blind/reverse method :) or by removing the the headlight module?

Scotty
The braided heat-sink style bulb is such low profile that, if I was doing the job, I would try installing it without disassembling anything first. Nothing to lose, because if I had encountered serious problems, then I would resort to taking the headlight unit off, as others have recommend.

Now, you are new here, and so you probably haven't read of all the bitching from people who had major problems replacing bulbs on the RTs. I am NOT saying that their complaints are not real, BUT I certainly didn't have any issues the one and only time that I had to replace the low beam bulb on my RT. Yes, I do have big hands. Size L riding gloves fits very snug on my hands, and I am sure that size XL would be quite comfortable.

A couple of hints to make things a bit easier. First, look for a picture (somewhere in this forum) of the rear end of the light assembly, to get some ideas as to how the retaining clips fits, and which direction you will have to push them. You will be working blind! If you can't find it, say so and I'll see if I can locate it for you. Second, you will find that getting one side of the wire clip on/off is easy but the other side will be next to impossible because of the force that you will need to exert as the wire bites into your finger! So, the tip is to get yourself a short piece of wooden dowel, or something like that and cut a V in one end to engage the wire clip. That will save your finger and make getting the clips on/off a breeze! When I did that task, I had a disposable chopstick handy, and so I broke a piece off that, and it works quite well.

Good luck! It's worth trying with what you have, and that costs nothing! Oh, BTW, the braids as well as the electronic module of that LED will fits inside the headlight housing very easily. or so it was reported.

·
Registered
423 Posts

Scotty
I don't think the blind reverse method ;) would work however I replaced the H7 on mine with the one from advmonster without removing the headlight assembly. I did however remove some of the plastic around the instrument panel. The total job probably took about an hour and a half. No canbus error codes detected since.

The best advice I have, whether you remove or not the headlight assembly, is to follow the instructions from advmonster.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. A lot of Adv H7 stuff "must-fit inside" the plastic housing. That part looks challenging given the "blind-reverse" approach. But I think you're right PadG, may as well try the blind-reverse method first and use front-end-disassembly as a fallback. I'm in Minnesota after all, and our riding season is a ways off... I'll also scout around to see what instrument stuff can easily be removed to provide at least some access/visibility to that area. For some reason in the back of my mind I'm imagining a dentist's mirror or laparoscope to perform the operation, ha! Thanks for all the insider tricks to get it in, saving fingers and all. I will order the ADV H7 today. Seems like good reviews on quality and brightness. I've got 2 driving lights so brightness isn't essential, but doesn't hurt either. That dim yellow thing just doesn't cut it by itself! I don't plan on changing out the high beams since I rarely use them.

The instructions look great PatM55, and thanks for chiming in on the no-error codes on the CANbus. It would be terrible to go thru the hassle of installing this thing and then find out it keeps throwing errors at ya...! One redeeming item, if there is one: The Adv adapter goes in pretty much first, before the H7 bulb and all the braiding. That may be good (hopefully). It seems like once that's installed, the H7 bulb should pretty much drop in....

Thanks again guys. And yes PadG, we are all mad at you for getting a 2021 RT! :)~ ... Ha! Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
5,169 Posts
BTW, in case you missed this, take a look at the last post (by bandytale) in this thread that was just revived: H1 high beam

Andy have had the braided style LED bulbs installed in his RT for several years now. The other guy is Terry (realshelby). He had gone through several different types of LED bulbs, including the early version of the Cyclops, and they had all failed after a time until he installed the braided style (NOT the Adv) that I think he got off eBay, and I believe those are still working to this days.

Reactions: LAF

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
453 Posts
Here is my write up on installing the ADV Monsters in the low beam. I've done it twice now. Once on mine, and once on the wife's RT.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts