BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an LED H7 into the 2 low Beam lights on the Wet Head RT?

An example H7 3000 lumen LED Headlight bulb No Affiliation.

From other riders I know have had to replace 4 Low Beam bulbs on there RT Wet Heads over the course of 2 years. I was thinking this might be a solution.

·
Registered
87 Posts
2 lights? i think there is only one bulb on the low-beam. It is an H7

A&S BMW Motorcycles Microfiche

I looked at replacing it, and also looked at replacing the the two high beam lamps with LED H1 replacements. The High -beam is a no-go , according to Cyclops -- they claim that there simply is not enough room. And on the H7-- i asked on the RT forum and the 2 fellows that responded were unhappy with the results. They claim the reflector was designed for a spherically emitted light source as opposed to a diode and they lost some light quality. One of the two fellows is trying an HID bulb for low beam, but i have not heard of his results yet.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I had very similar bulbs on my KLR. I got a lot of light scatter and also the light housing was no longer waterproof.
On the RTP you can replace the low beam but you loose functions if you do not use stock H1s in the high beams.
I spent half a day trying to get Phillips 130% H1s to work in all functions.

·
Premium Member
5,188 Posts
Has anyone installed an LED H7 into the 2 low Beam lights on the Wet Head RT?

An example H7 3000 lumen LED Headlight bulb No Affiliation.

From other riders I know have had to replace 4 Low Beam bulbs on there RT Wet Heads over the course of 2 years. I was thinking this might be a solution.
I haven't done it yet, but I think that the dealer of the one that you listed have installed several in a wethead RT. I am sure that they will tell you.

These are also interesting:

H7 LED Motorcycle Headlight Kit | H7 Motorcycle LED Upgrade

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X74Y6Q0...colid=1QV3W6HNUXUD3&coliid=IBH18X1VEFMN&psc=1

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I was reading on a Trophy forum about a guy that had done the LED dip beam conversion. He didn't say which LED manufacturer he used - which is a real shame, because it is really important with regard to quality and accuracy - however, his observations were:
VERY bright.
Terrible beam pattern
Poor throw
lots of dazzle
Very short bulb life. (overheating).

So until I see someone try it with a reputable make - like say, Phillips, I will just be a very interested by-stander.

I have a real issue with headlights that put out way too much light - in the wrong direction. And, High end car manufacturers (OEM lighting) is right up there at the top of the list, along with boy racers who throw HID kits in there motors without any regard for anyone apart from themselves.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks All for your responses. I was really impressed with the LED Replacement review...18 pages....

I will I think wait a little to see how things go. I'm not a night rider & am think more for the reduction of Low Beam H7 bulb replacement.

But I'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Currently I think that Clearwaters are the way to go. I think that this will change in the future but we have to let technology catch up with reality.
Clearwaters with a Canopener gives you a lot of control. I have a set of Ericas and a set of Darlas on the Exclusive. On the RTP I can only use BMW and Code 3 lights except the low beam. You do not want pure white light as it does not reflect well off animals. Something in the 3000 to 4000k range works well.

Reactions: SpinDog

·
Registered
87 Posts
And the beauty of the Clearwaters is that they sell amber filters for some of their models that slide over the bezel in a second.

Where i live we have a "foggy" season in late may and late October. The amber slices through nicely (as does the stock halogen low beam)

·
Premium Member
5,188 Posts
Currently I think that Clearwaters are the way to go. I think that this will change in the future but we have to let technology catch up with reality.
Clearwaters with a Canopener gives you a lot of control. I have a set of Ericas and a set of Darlas on the Exclusive. On the RTP I can only use BMW and Code 3 lights except the low beam. You do not want pure white light as it does not reflect well off animals. Something in the 3000 to 4000k range works well.
Agree! I have a pair of Krista and I hardly ride at night!

I have been researching the LED lights for a long time now, and some of them are cheap enough to just buy and try out, BUT subconsciously I am still not convinced, even with a lot of positive comments that I have read (and the negative ones too). Since I hardly ride at night and still have a pair of high output H7 halogen bulbs sitting in my parts drawer, I will continue to wait and gather data! :smile:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't forget that not only will LEDs not achieve lighting output as halogens do, they will glare all passing vehicles too. Which also means, throwing in an HID, which is HELLA brighter than halogen....will piss off everyone you pass!!! Best bet is add AUX lighting to your low and high beam switched lines.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I just got my Cyclops H7 LED bulb and don't see a feasible way to install it. Yes, I can get it to fit in the hole and when I finally got the wire keepers in place around the heat sink, I couldn't get my fingers in between the heat sink/fan and the BMW light housing to get the LED light clipped into place!

I'll give it another try in a few days...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ditto to what Rangerb3 just posted. Spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to get the Cyclops installed, but had the same issues. wound up putting the stock bulb back in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got my Cyclops H7 LED bulb and don't see a feasible way to install it. Yes, I can get it to fit in the hole and when I finally got the wire keepers in place around the heat sink, I couldn't get my fingers in between the heat sink/fan and the BMW light housing to get the LED light clipped into place!

I'll give it another try in a few days...
Keep us posted to success or failure. It is interesting that on Cyclops site they have a box to check for GS or RT. Wounder if there is a difference!

Ditto to what Rangerb3 just posted. Spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to get the Cyclops installed, but had the same issues. wound up putting the stock bulb back in.
Had you ordered the unit with the 'GS or RT' box checked?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did order the GS/RT one and they sent along an instruction sheet for installing it in the GS, but nothing for the RT. Based on the very limited room to work with, I may have to just hold off until I have all the bodywork off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
563 Posts
I did order the GS/RT one and they sent along an instruction sheet for installing it in the GS, but nothing for the RT. Based on the very limited room to work with, I may have to just hold off until I have all the bodywork off.
I checked off that special box as well...so, I should have the correct bulb.

I said to myself that I would consider removing the headlight to install the bulb...and after your 3 hr adventure without success, that my be the only way to get it installed! :crying:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I have the Cyclops also. Haven't attempted to install yet due to arthritic hands and cold temps. I did find that the bulb assembly will separate from the flange where the clips snap into place with about a 1/2 to 3/4 turn while pushing in. I'm hoping that you can clip the flange in place then install the bulb assembly and turn to fasten. I may be FOS but I'm going to try as soon as I get some workable joints! Other wise it's off with the body work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have new R1200RTW and am just getting used to headlights with added auxiliary Clearwater Darlas. I came from FJR with Cyclops LEDs and auxiliary lights and my experience with Cyclops and owner Daryl could not have been better. The light pattern was excellent. My early thoughts on the RT are that the brights with auxiliary lights are excellent and the low beam could be improved with Cyclops LED. I would suggest calling Daryl and getting his expertise. He is an excellent resource.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I did find that the bulb assembly will separate from the flange where the clips snap into place with about a 1/2 to 3/4 turn while pushing in. I'm hoping that you can clip the flange in place then install the bulb assembly and turn to fasten.
Grumpyrt...you're a Godsend! I never caught that important step in the instructions! I went back and re-read the installation instructions and it does say in the GS instructions to remove the LED light base flange from the fan assembly! I'm going out to try the installation again and will post back...

Since the BMW light housing is water tight, I'm going to remove the little white gasket between the LED light removable H7 flange which will allow less pressure to be exerted onto the light assembly when re-installing it into the flange. I can always remove the light assembly and re-insert the gasket if there are any looseness problems.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts