BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Have to call on the experts once again.

I have a 2005 LT and it is just ordered my 3rd WestCo battery.

I seem to get 2.5 years out of the WestCo 12V20P battery. I always have it on the AccuMate trickle charger when not in use.

Last Thursday, the LT barely started. I thought maybe I left something on. Charged it over-night, showed fully charged, but it barely started.

Battery is rated for 275 CCA. I bought it over to NAPA, CCA was at 199. Ran a second test, then showed 189.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? One would think to get 4+ years from this battery.

Is there something that is causing a drain? I heard the CD changer has constant power, but I removed this years ago. I have MotoLights and PIAA lights, that are on a switched power source.

Thanks,

Erick

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I don't know about a WestCo, but I just had to change my 84-month battery in my F150 after 37 months due to a dead cell. The dealer said he's never seen such a failure rate on batteries in the last few months. Its probably the heat.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Battery failures seem to be on the increase. My son had 3 BMW Exide batteries fail in as many years on his R1200 GSA. Each battery had shorted cells. I think quality is missing on the Made in China and VietNam batteries. I'll stick with Odyssey PC680, made in USA.

Check the similar threads below for more information.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Accumate charger. Check your float voltage to see where it's cutting out. All you need to do is check across the battery posts after the unit has been plugged in for a couple hours.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I bought a westco and got 4 years service. Bought a westco last june and had to replace it last month. I always charge my batteries prior to install and always have it tendered when not in use.I have nothing draining the battery, just one of those things

·
Registered
114 Posts
Heat seems to be the biggest killer of batteries. If you leave a tender on all the time, make sure it is cutting off when charge is topped up to 100%.

My LT battery is/was new in 05 and still going strong. Privious to my ownership it was kept on BMW's tender.
The battery in my Concours was new 5yrs ago and is showing signs that life is coming to an end.
I typically get 8-10 yrs from my vehicle batteries in the great white north.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The AccuMate charger is what is recommended by WestCo. Probably because they sell it. :)

I think it is a float charger, and I will take a look when I receive my new battery.

I complained to WestCo that this is my third battery. They offered me a new one for $50 which included shipping. We will see how this one works.

If I recall from WestCo, they stated the High voltage should be 14.4 and low should be 13.6 (floating) at 250 milliamps.

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had a Westco in my 2000 LT and just removed it this year after 5 years of service only because I won an Odyssey at a rally.

I gave the Westco to a friend and it's still going strong in his R1100RT.

I have a Battery Tender but seldom use it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
After 2.5 years, the original Exide Gel Batter was getting weak, and so I went with the Odyssey PC680 dry cell battery. I do keep it on the BMW trickle charger if we go on vacation without the bike and over the winter. It off-sets the parasitic drain from the clock, motronic, radio memory, and other circuits that never shut off. And I do park it with the wheel locked full left or right and the key in the off position most of the time.

Yes, the heat is the battery killer, but for the most part, it just sets them up to die when it gets colder and they need that extra cranking power.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
FYI, The PC680 is a AGM (absorbed glass mat ) and far superior to a GEL battery. There are some minor peculiarities on that battery and it is strongly recommended thet you read the maint./operating instructions to be familiar with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have another brand of AGM battery in my K1100, it is now 7 years old, during the winter I use a solar panel with 12 volt regulator top keep the battery charged, prefer to leave the battery connected in the bike.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I also have a 2005 and a Westco battery. I got 10 months out of the last Westco. They replaced it for free. No idea how long this one will last. I keep it on the BMW charger when I'm not riding. The battery I replaced was a BMW battery but that was also a replacement. I bought the bike used so I don't know how long that one was in there.

Westco batteries are made in Vietnam. Not saying anything about Vietnam, just sayin . .

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I'll say it. I had one of those things in my 1150RT when I bought it. The piece of junk broke the terminal off inside the case. Measured full voltage but no amps. I don't think Vietnam has the quality control in place like the U.S. manufacturers. I've heard of this issue several times with the Vietnamese batteries.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
I just replaced the original battery on my 05 LT just before Summer...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
zippy_gg said:
I just replaced the original battery on my 05 LT just before Summer...
What did you replace it with Gilles?

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
Boatzo said:
What did you replace it with Gilles?
I found an AGM for around $80.00.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I received my new WestCo battery. Hope to get more than 2 years out of it. If not, I am going with the Odyssey next time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts