BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know "Honda" is a 4-letter word around these parts. But I've had an undying love-affair with a bike that I just can't seem to shake. Lately I've been combing eBay looking for a 2nd bike. No major purchase, just something "new" to putt around on.

Without further adieu...

She's mine ... all mine. :cool: :bike: :dance:

I know that most won't appreciate the purchase in this forum. But thought I'd share the news just the same. I'll go pick her up this weekend. Can't wait! :)

This makes for my 6th V65 Magna. A friend of mine wrecked my last one. :( I won't let him near this one. :D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
528 Posts
I rode one of those back when.. That was a real beast of a bike back then! Congrats on a great bike!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Nice bike. My first brand new bike was a 1984 V65 Sabre. fastest color too. Red/black/silver. Paid less than the asking price for your bike! Enjoy! P.S. The Sabre was the faster bike.....

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I had to choose something for a username back in 2007, when I sold my Magna, bought a K1200GT, and joined a few BMW forums.

I had my new Honda Magna for 21 years and rode it almost daily. I still miss the Magna. Most people think of the Magna for its power, but for me, it was reliable and versatile transportation. That V4 engine and shaft drive were so smooth and easy to maintain compared with the chain drive Honda CB400F SuperSport that it replaced.

I enjoy my K1200GT, but its complexity, maintenance cost, and maintenance effort are far beyond the ol' Magna.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Good on ya! The V45 & V65 are two of my favorite old engine configurations. Powerful and reliable. Enjoy it! I still toy with buying an old V-Max from time to time, just never pulled the trigger. The old muscle bikes still got it!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent choice :yeah:
i'll always have a soft spot for Magnas.
Thanks! I have several soft spots for them. ;)

First 10 second production motorcycle. I have a 1983 painted Chrysler black crystal pearlcoat with 15,000 on the clock. Here's a before and after.
Looks great! This is my first black one. I think I've had every other color. What windshield do you have?

Nice bike. My first brand new bike was a 1984 V65 Sabre. fastest color too. Red/black/silver. Paid less than the asking price for your bike! Enjoy! P.S. The Sabre was the faster bike.....
I've heard several Sabre owners claim that ... have yet to verify that information though. ;) (I almost bought a Sabre, but chose this one instead.)

Nice catch. Those bikes bring back some great memories. I have never owned one though.

Enjoy the ride.
I shall. Those V-4 powerplants have a very special feel and sound to them. Can't wait to experience it again! :cool:

I had my new Honda Magna for 21 years and rode it almost daily. I still miss the Magna. Most people think of the Magna for its power, but for me, it was reliable and versatile transportation. That V4 engine and shaft drive were so smooth and easy to maintain compared with the chain drive Honda CB400F SuperSport that it replaced.

I enjoy my K1200GT, but its complexity, maintenance cost, and maintenance effort are far beyond the ol' Magna.
I enjoyed my K1200GT too ... but not enough to ever buy another one. I have a feeling I will always be buying V65s until the day I stop riding.

Good on ya! The V45 & V65 are two of my favorite old engine configurations. Powerful and reliable. Enjoy it! I still toy with buying an old V-Max from time to time, just never pulled the trigger. The old muscle bikes still got it!
I've ridden a V-Max and was surprised at what a torture chamber that thing was. :D And that's coming from someone who rode a Ninja ZX-11, experiencing several 600-mile days on it. But, to each his own. You just might love a V-Max. You only live once. ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
That is one cool bike. Congrats.

Their was a guy in D/FW metroplex who used to, and may still, renovate these early, muscle bikes (Magna, V-Max, etc) and sell them. He was on TWTEX forum quite a bit. I was always amazed at how he got them to look showroom new and then sell for a reasonable price. I often drooled at the bikes he had restored but never bought.

Wish I had bought since he has now relocated to a different state a year or so ago.

Enjoy the Magna! I always love watching that commercial BTW.

James

·
Registered
63 Posts
Gotta love those smooth V4's. I bought an 87 years ago. Pretty much restored it. 401K Suspension and brakes though for the VF700C. Powder coated the rims, polished forks, new seals, VTX headlight and rear shocks. I had to open tranny to under cut gears to keep it from popping out of 2nd! Fun wont do that again! Always got a lot of compliments.

J

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride, Joe. I know you're a big fan of the Magna.

I've never seen one (that I know of) and I don't know the first thing about them, but maybe we'll see you somewhere down the road on yours and you can show me in person. :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Joe,
Do you have a set of leathers like that, that would help you catch Dave.:D

BTW; congrats on the bike.
Thanks! And no! Peewee Gleason was a tad bit smaller than I. :eek:

Congratulations on the new ride, Joe. I know you're a big fan of the Magna.

I've never seen one (that I know of) and I don't know the first thing about them, but maybe we'll see you somewhere down the road on yours and you can show me in person. :)
Sounds like a great idea. The truth of the matter is, my older brother (Tony) owned a couple of V65s and I fell in love being just a young buck out of High School. I bought his 2nd V65 when he was stationed out to Edwards Air Force Base and didn't want to take the bike with him. The rest is history, I guess. Well ... I should mention that he is the very same brother that went on to purchase an '03 K1200LT after riding my LT. :bmw:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yes, nice machine I owned two for a short time each and only a starter motor had to be replaced. However, not sure on the reliability aspect. Some if not all model years were known to have premature cam lobe wear.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.